What's Sup Forums's take on synthesizers? Are they hip or are they "old man" instruments?

What's Sup Forums's take on synthesizers? Are they hip or are they "old man" instruments?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2SqNxSncgJU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what a stupid fucking question

depends on what sound you're making^^

Why is that a stupid question? Synths are fucking awful and anyone who likes synthesizers are faggits. It's a valid question.

there's some nice synth music out there.

youtube.com/watch?v=2SqNxSncgJU

The older synths are okay but the shit that's around at the moment all stinks, like shit does.

Dumb question. Its not the same as asking if you like an electric guitar for instance. A guitar makes a specific range of sounds while synths have a wider set of possibilities. Are you talking about subtractive synthesis? FM synthesis? Additive? While you can easily discern from two songs, "yeah, that's a electric string instrument running through distortion", you can't say the same about synthesis. While a synth CAN simulate the sound of a guitar, it can also simulate flutes, other string instruments, horns, people chanting, car sounds, etc. Its like asking, "what's Sup Forums's take on sound?"

IDK OP I love synths, got myself a subphatty and an analog rytm a moth ago- and I've been having tons of fun with it- check my name to tracks related, I like to fuck around with all genres- If they are 'hip' or not who cares-

All the new analog synths coming out these days are shit?

synths used to emulate other instruments (except for drums) usually suck fucking dick

a synth used to make its own unique sound is where the interesting stuff happens

I generally hate them unless the person behind one actually knows what they are doing with it.

Most of the ones I do happen to like are these big antique instruments the size of a room.

I don't really like the typical "synth" sound, it reminds me of bad prog and shitty 70s-80s music, but run them through some additional effects and they become magical things.

D R E A M Y

summer came early!

What IS Sup Forums's take on sound?

most hardware synths have one benefit. they take you out of the screen and let you focus on working with the instrument.
hardware synths are obsolete bc all sounds they make can be achieved in software

really rad once you let go of presets and emulation, like what this guy says i think they're great. i only know the most rudimentary concepts of synthesis and sound design but the potential for exploration/experimentation is boundless. the hardware is fucking expensive though

>hardware synths are obsolete bc all sounds they make can be achieved in software.
Ehhh no. I'm very sure audiophiles will disagree.

Sup Forums not knowing what the fuck they are talking about - the thread once again.

Synths are great. If you disagree what are you even doing on a music-board?

They're the cornerstone of post-90's music. Even if you're not making electronic music you're using a fucking synthesizer. Even Bob Dylan has utilized one, for fuck's sake.

A bunch a bullshit

legowelt was right about modular synths: they're expensive bullshit

they'll disagree because they're stubborn childish men whose entire personality revolves around being an "audiophile", saying they can tell the difference between 320 mp3s and flac, buying expensive stupid gear and equipment, and saying over and over how analog is better than digital, even as the technology got so advance some emulations are indistinguishable from the "real thing".

what's a good hp amount to have in babby's first modular?

idgaf about audiophile stuff, hardsynths are simply more fun

I think a modular can easily pull over 400 horsepower naturally aspirated.

they are old man instruments. vsts are the future. they sound good, but..

totally agree on that.
also totally agree too. and i'm theres nothing wrong with using them and the workflow is interesting theyre fun but some people think they need them to make good music and shit.

In all honesty, electric guitars are way more "old man" than analog synths are these days, not that either are bad.

analog synths are going to become the new electric guitars in around 30 years.

Well then what will be the new analog synth?

banjo

just bought one, havin the time of my life

Please no

Electric guitars still have a lot of use. We just got tired of the hair metal shit

yup, just check out Show Me The Body, dude. They're making it popular.

I don't think your ears work. Name one software synthetic that sounds identical to analog, you sour grapes poor faggot

/thread

>Show Me The Body

That was awful

its all about VSTs my dude

good software can do it perfectly nowadays.

t. an analogfag who would never use a vst

While old analog synths are nice, it is improper to claim that they have technical superiority to software, sound-wise. For the most part.

try using korg's emulations of their synths on ipad. the ms-20 especially sounds exactly the same.

if you don't trust me look for comparison videos on youtube.

You must be some dumbo-looking faggot

get a real personality