Trap

Can trap be an "Intelligent" genre? How does one bring their selves to appreciate it more?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6-IfbpJF11Y
youtube.com/watch?v=HQtL-wJEiO8
soundcloud.com/ben-ettedgui/tadoe-cuffin-me-freestyle-prod-by-tarentino-of-808-mafia-ben-ettedgui
youtube.com/watch?v=2GAUO6XZZe4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

by watching this videos and learning about the new production and mixing techniques that are being used in the genre

youtube.com/watch?v=6-IfbpJF11Y

if you have any knowledge of hip-hop production or have tried it yourself it's worthy of respect. idk where i can find an exhibition of 808 drums like i do in trap besides like juke/footwork (which trap takes influence from). many people point me in the direction of IDM or other electronic genres but their drums, especially their bass, fail to hit as hard as the drums in trap

So the consensus is positive on production, but how about songwriting/lyric-wise?

>Can trap be an "Intelligent" genre?

No. Interesting melodically, sure, but not "Intelligent".

>How does one bring their selves to appreciate it more?

By not being a middlebrow Reddit bougie and trying to desperately paint a nonsense seen of "Intellectualism" over everything "problematic" just so you can finally enjoy it.

learning the roots of the genre and realizing that minimalist lyrics or lack of effort in lyricism is the point of trap. it's more focused on free form, energetic deliveries and flows (i.e. heavy use of adlibs). but their adlib placement in the sense that it works with production is pretty impressive travis scott's use of voice to compliment the beat stands out compared to other styles of hip hop

youtube.com/watch?v=HQtL-wJEiO8

zaytoven discusses the early development of trap music as he was working with gucci mane and discusses that its is heavily, especially lyrically, based on not giving much of a fuck.

Trap is just the music. The lyrics are part of trap rap.

sheen**

>Interesting melodically
it's the most rhythmically and meolodically interesting style of hip-hop and beats many of genres as well

It's not an intelligent genre. It's type of music that is suppose to hype you up. It also bumps. Meaning, if you want to truly enjoy it, you should be bumping trap music with a nice stereo system and sub woofer.

the production used in EDM trap is a bastardization of the production used in trap rap which is why EDM trap is fucking terrible

OP here, all these subgenres sound pretty autistic. Too many names for the same thing.

>Can trap be an "Intelligent" genre?
probably not. but i wouldn't be surprised if travis scott does something interesting with it and elevates the genre
>How does one bring their selves to appreciate it more?
i dunno. i'm just not a fan. i get that the original point, whether intentional or not, was too remove the poppier elements of hip hop, especially in the 2000s, for a more stripped back approach, but it doesn't work for me. The artists that incorporate poppier elements like lil yachty are the one's i end up enjoying, but i wouldn't even call them trap anymore though. i think it's mostly trash, the rappers and most of the producers, but that's just how i feel about it.

lets see you make something that makes me feel the way this song makes me feel. it requires intelligence. not academic book intelligence.

soundcloud.com/ben-ettedgui/tadoe-cuffin-me-freestyle-prod-by-tarentino-of-808-mafia-ben-ettedgui

"Finna hit the Gucci 'sto, I got me a dookie roll''
Tear-inducing... wow. Absolutely stellar.

you aint gang you the opps. lol.

>how about songwriting/lyric-wise?

These people are from the hood. The lyrics aren't good but it's about the energy. I used to hate it but to be honest if you take it for what it is it's good.

>2 hours
Seriously, nigger?

Why do you want to like things you don't like? Either a sound grabs you or it doesn't. If you can't hear why you ought to like it, you ought not to. Nothing is sadder than the guy who conditions himself to like stuff for its sociological associations.

just because someone doesn't like something at first or is having trouble understanding it doesn't mean they are forcing themselves to like it eventually. at first, fugues sounded like random chords and notes to me, then my ear started following different musical lines. after reading more for context about them, i "got it".

This track springs to mind

youtube.com/watch?v=2GAUO6XZZe4

trap is gay

traps are gay

This is fucking terrible

why are you on this board?