What if I were to tell you

What if I were to tell you....
...that 200 million years ago the CO2 levels were 4.7 times what they are today and the temperature was only 3°C (10°F) hotter than today?

What if I were to tell you...
...that the last 2 million years were the only time in Earth's history that the CO2 levels were less than 400ppm?

Other urls found in this thread:

climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'd call you a shill cuz identity politics and fundamental incapability of understanding ecology

I'd remind you that low and middle class uneducated conservative voters are the biggest cucks in the population, allowing themselves to get duped into supporting policies that enrich only the ruling class of elites.

I admit the Koch Brothers are geniuses for suckering you all, but it's still sad.

So your only response to verifiable facts is to resort to Ad Hominem?
Google "Jurassic CO2 ppm" and "Jurassic temperature" if you don't believe me.
1,800ppm (compared to today's 410ppm) and only 10°F warmer.
Not to mention the fact that after reaching 4.7 times the current CO2 levels we still had an ice age before the Quaternary Period.

That climate science is more complicated than just relying on what feels true based on data from millions of years ago?

That the rate at which CO2 levels and global temperatures are rising is unprecedented, even with other heating factors such as solar output being on the decline?

Wait ur telling me you don't believe in global warming, but you do believe in carbon dating? Also snow wasn't covering the entire earth during the Jurassic period therefore we can't know what the GLOBAL temperature was back then. You can't just measure the temperature in one spot on the entire planet, and then call it accurate bud.

Nobody on this board, or alive today, will live long enough to see any serious negative affects from climate change.

Believe in climate change or deny it, who cares. It comes down to how much you want to change your life (and negatively affect your personal finances) in order to *possibly* benefit generations that will be born long after you die.

Personally, I say fuck 'em.

>relying on what feels true
There are no feels here. Only facts.
200 million years after CO2 levels 4.7 times our current output there is still life on earth. At 470% of our current CO2 levels there was only a 3°C increase in temperature.
>carbon dating
Why would you even mention that? That is totally irrelevant here.
>snow wasn't covering the entire earth
No shit.
>we can't know what the GLOBAL temperature was
So you're saying you know better than an entire field of science with decades of research by thousands of scientists? I'm not pulling numbers out of my ass, here. Google it.

Bait.

>CO2 is the only driving factor in climate

retard

The most annoying part about these people who deny global warming is that they always resort to poking holes in the dissenting parties credentials, No i'm not a climate scientist. But holy shit many, think of how much YOU as a single human being produce. Let me guess, YOU more then likely live somewhere that gets cold once a year. When you get cold do you turn your heater on? Causing your house and thus the surrounding area to heat up, correct? So say half the world is developed, thats 3.5 billion people 7 if we include everyone, all producing heat, all (on the developed side) going to houses where they turn on heaters that heat up everything around them. Fuk how much CO2 there is, WE as creatures are warming this bitch up. Think about it. All the electricity all the hot showers and baths, ITS ALL HEATING UP SOMETHING!

You do understand that during that time, the plant life and dinosaurs were halfly responsible for this, right?

And that, furthermore, the current crisis is because of mankind?

Pretty soon, you American right wingers will try to tell us that dumping oil in rivers is OK or that cars don't pollute the air.

Only you fuckers won't listen to the people whose job it is to know and study the subject.

You narrow your view to think ONLY American scientists exist and ignore all of the other scientists around the world that say the same thing.

You're a special kind of retard.

The sun was less active back then.

"Back then, CO2 levels remained at around 365 to 410 ppm for thousands of years. Arctic temperatures were 11 to 16°C warmer (Csank 2011). Global temperatures over this period is estimated to be 3 to 4°C warmer than pre-industrial temperatures. Sea levels were around 25 metres higher than current sea level (Dwyer 2008)."

25 meters, motherfucker

ill take it because to other retards this isn't bait

The entire composition of the atmosphere was different, it wasn't like the air today with extra CO2.

carbon dating is what determines the dinosaurs to be that old. I'm just amazed someone would accept that part of science, and then deny climate change is all. Lol as for being more right then scientist, look it up, you clearly don't know enough about ice core dating to be in this argument little man, go back to school.

dumbass, everyone knows theres infinant air. It's like having a fire in your garage.

well... and if you'd look at the animals back then you might consider how higher oxygen levels only allowed us to evolve the mental capacity we have now??

go back to the swamp, fossile.

>plant life and dinosaurs were halfly responsible for this, right?
Geological activity was producing roughly twice the current yearly CO2 output from volcanic activity, and plants were removing less CO2 than today's plants, that is true. Those were the reasons the CO2 was higher at that time. And the industrial revolution is the reason that CO2 levels have increased to above 400ppm for the first time in two million years.

Neither of these facts alter the fact that a 470% higher CO2 level did not end life on earth, nor even raise the global average temperature more than 10°F

>2008
>2011
Your data is old and flawed. Try searching for research data from after 2014.

And 10 degrees F is trivial? You are an idiot.

>ice core dating
That only goes back 800,000 years. We're talking about a period 250 times that long ago. It is true that the current CO2 levels are higher than anything in the ice core record. They're higher than anything in the last three million years. But it was only 3 million years ago that the CO2 levels ever dropped *below* 400ppm. We're nowhere near a "record high". We're only at the high point in recorded history because recorded history is very, very, very tiny compared to the age of the earth.

You think 10°F will end the world?
Why are we here, then, if 10°F happened 200 million years ago?

So you are 100% serious? You believe in carbon dating, and refuse to accept climate change? I dont understand how you can just pick and choose and say that one of those things is real, but the scientist are wrong about the other thing. Ok let me break down climate change for you, Say there is a murder, it goes to trial there is a jury of 100 peers. All the evidence in the case is presented. The jury go back to their little room, and 97/100 say "he murdered that guy, he's a murdering murderer." And 3/100 say "idk, the evidence isn't completely clear." You see ? 97% of climate scientists say that man made climate change is happening. Its only 3% that are saying its not clear. Shit in an earlier comment you accused me of "saying i know better then the scientist," tell me how you're not doing that by denying climate change? Do you realize that the first person to say the earth wasn't flat was called crazy right? But now i bet 100% geologists would agree.

What's funny about your little rant is that I have not remotely denied that modern industry is driving up the CO2 or that the temperature is increasing.

I merely presented a couple of facts that do not agree with your doomsday scenario: the fact that the change to the climate will be neither unprecedented nor apocalyptic. It is a scientifically accepted fact that CO2 levels have been drastically higher than today's levels. It is also a scientifically accepted fact that during that period the temperature was only 10°F warmer.

Are we changing it?
Of course we are.
Is this the highest the CO2 has ever been?
Not remotely.
Will it be the end of everything?
Absolutely not.

>posts something that implies your argument is that global warming isn't happening
>completely agrees with my opinion, but sent negative/ argumentative responses to everything i said?
I never claimed some insane doomsday would happen bro, so nice rant right back at ya?

Yes, retard, science agrees with you. Everyone knows from fucking middle school that the earth goes through natural cycles of heating and cooling. The problem is that our greenhouse emmisions are accelerating this process

I would say that listening to you argue about it makes you sound like an idiot. Do you read one article on neurology and then go out and argue about the actual results with a neurosurgeon? Scientists all over the world think you're an idiot, try listening to them instead of lecturing to them you brainless turd..
climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus/

kill yourself

I guess reading comprehension isn't your strong point.
All I've said is that both the temperature and the CO2 levels have been higher before, and that drastically higher CO2 levels only caused moderately higher temperatures.

And alarmists immediately attacked me for saying that the situation is nothing to panic over. I offer you facts and encourage you to look them up, and I am told to shut up for not agreeing with the popular narrative.

No one even attempted to show any evidence that the current situation would have worse consequences than the Jurassic situation.

>The problem is that our greenhouse emmisions are accelerating this process
>problem
Again, we've only gone from 10% to 20% of the highest value in the fossil record.
Thank you for reinforcing my point that no one is even addressing the easily confirmable facts I've presented to you. You're not even processing the fact that I am not denying that we are affecting the climate. I'm just making you aware of the fact that it has been much higher than it currently is, and you're lashing out at me for presenting you with facts.

Then what's your point of bringing it up? You had an agenda when you posted it.

>You had an agenda
Yes, user. I am part of a vast conspiracy to inform people of scientifically confirmed facts, even when those facts are somewhat comforting. Do you also assume the people who told you that you need to be alarmed have an agenda? Or is that something that you reserve for dissenting opinions?

The point is that its fucking up life evolved for now not 2million years ago

and again... like i just said, we clearly agree, your facts are all true. But now for the second time you've insulted me. You are rude, and I will be leaving this thread now. You clearly lack the ability to comprehend what you read aswell, as again I NEVER said we need to be panicking. You clearly are on here just to argue, as you're being rude to some one who agrees with you. Good day sir.

>it's fucking up life
>evolved
Those are the same thing, user. Adapt or die.
>Good day sir.
Fuck your shit, nigga.