What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want? The fear of reprisal...

What keeps an atheist from murdering and stealing all they want? The fear of reprisal? Is the fear of prison the only thing preventing an utter breakdown of society by those with no moral compass?

We don't need the fear of punishment to figure out not to be an asshole

It's because some people don't need an outside force to make them a good person faggot

Wow, the guy from Nickleback is a badass.

The categorical imperative...

you don't need to believe in god to not kill people. you just need this thing called "empathy" where you're like well doing this makes that person feel not good and i don't like the way that feels. so im not doing it.

that and going to prison is inconvenient.

shit even hardcore killer people believe in god sometimes. its empathy that keeps the knives in the drawer, not a belief in god.

Nothing. I do anything I want.

an athiest can very easily understand the difference between right and wrong. Based off what hurts people and what dosen't...what dosen't hurt anyone. cannot be wrong. What hurts people. Is wrong

Empathy is a rare birth defect. Atheist or believer, fear of reprisal, whether temporal or supernatural or both, is the only thing that keeps us all from killing each other

the person who doesent believe in god, and still does good is better then the religious person who does good because he wants a reward (heaven)

Andys hot log are the only thing that keeps me going.

Fuckin' this!

Whaaa?

I don't need a reason to not be an asshole. I'm just not an asshole. My parents raised me right and I wasn't born a sociopath.
Should ask yourself why the only thing keeping you from murdering and stealing all you want is the fear of not getting into heaven.

I know this is bait, but you should read the bonobo and the atheist.

what keeps you from NOT POSTING THIS FUCKING THREAD CONTINUALLY you utterly BORING CUNT

That edge

Being an atheist is a lose-lose propositon. If they're right, they never get to say "I told you so." And if they're wrong, they have to hear about it forever.

What are you, a Christian?

Truly I tell you, the meaning of life is exchanging sex for fruit.

Christians also are moral to avoid prison. It's just their prison is celestial. Christians base their morals off of society too, or at least what they perceive as society. Christians believe that all people in society follow Christian morality because they think Christian morals are human morals, and that those who don't are being controlled by the original sin, demons and/or evil which is "inhuman" so therefore it doesn't count.

So basically Christians aren't anymore honorable or selfless as atheists.

It all makes sense now.
That's why the origin story of Christianity is about eve offering her "fruit" to adam!

BETTER QUESTION: what causes ANYONE to even want to murder or steal?
why question that unless you yourself are using your beliefs as the only reason not to murder or steal?
MORAL COMPASS does not equal RELIGION
don't have to have faith in some higher power to not be an asshat. I know a few athiests who would choose to follow their own morals and not be total fucking dicks in situations where prison or society breaking down don't have any input on their actions

ITT: low-quality bait

Here's medium-quality bait:
Religion provides a way for poor people and minorities (those who lack power as individual or as small groups) to vote together and gain power in a country with democratic elections. The people who benefit at the expense of poor people and minorities (white liberals) oppose religion to prevent that from happening.

You don't need "muh religion" to have a Moral Compass, dork. In fact, the athiests I know have a STRONGER Moral Compass and in general treat people better because they don't have to live by a many-times-translated-and-mistranslated book scribbled on some scrolls centuries ago that's full of contradictions.

But, you run off to pray to your God who says it's OK to own slaves and stone your wife but not to be envious of your neighbor's stuff.

Someone get this 12 year old outta here

Nah Sup Forumsro religion is a form of social control used to control an uneducated public

Education used to be a subset of religion. The two or intertwined in some cultures, and are not mutually exclusive.

Religion is embraced by poor people and minorities because it helps them work together for their interests. There is a lot of overlap, under-educated groups also tend to be highly religious. The people who oppose religion (white liberals) also are in control of education policy, and benefit from keeping poor people uneducated and disorganized.

Religion 1, Liberals 0