If they made processors out of silver, would it be better than copper?

If they made processors out of silver, would it be better than copper?

No, because they don't make them with either, they are made with silicon.

no, they need to be made with diamond, diamonds are harder than the math equations they perform so they will last longer,.

They dont make processors out of copper. Some of the surface traces are copper but the current carried and extremely low voltages and miniscule conductor length mean that the improved conductivity of silver isnt really required.

Most of the channels the electrons have to travel through are silicon, so the impact would be small. If you mean make the entire die from silver - there is enough aggregate change there that I can't say there would be no improvement. However you'd still be throttled by RAM and storage.

It would, because silvers resistivity is 1,59 x 10^-8 while copper is 1,68 x 10^-8

>resistivity of copper

You'd have to compare it to silicon.

The question was about copper, but silicons resistivity is 0,1 - 60

I dont think anyone is suggesting that the chip be made of silver. Its the tracework on the PCB that the sillicon is mounted on.

And no. It wouldnt improve things much or else they would be doing it.

Those fucking morons at Intel have no idea what they're doing.

Lower resistivity does nothing for processors. You need a semiconductor in order to get the chip to do anything useful.

The question is ambiguous. OP doesn't say "if we used silver instead of copper" he says "if we made processors out of silver, would it be better than copper?" Processors are currently not made with copper but silicon. To make a processor "out of" silver you'd replace the silicon, not the copper.

Put another way: that question can be read as asking "if we replaced the silicon in processors with metal, would it be better to use silver or copper?"

Silicon is a semiconductor

Ah yeah the prototype LGA10000000 chip

your mom is a semiconductor

No shit, retard. If you replace the silicone with silver then you'll have a really expensive, oddly shaped wire.

When you buy a 'processor" you dont pull silicon out of the box. Its probably 95% plastic and copper by weight. Gold is used to coat the contacts but that is for its anti-corrosion properties more than the conductivity.

Semiconductors include: Carbon (graphite), Germanium and Silicon.

>nobodys mom is there

Btw there is a specific reason they chose silicone. It forms a neat lattice at the molecular level and cannot realistically be substituted or improved on.

> saying I have the context wrong

Because when OP is asking about changing the materials in a processor, he clearly means the parts not involved in computation.

He asked if silver would improve on the copper. Didnt mention silicone. That was someone elses tangent

Read the OP again and check your knowledge of grammar. He doesn't mention replacing copper. See my other thing here

But you cant replace the sillicon in processors with any metal. That is typing a whole lot of gumph where you could have just said 'you cant'

You could however replace the copper with silver and see an improvement... in the 9th decimal place.

I fixed it

No

"Both would work identically"