The Witcher (2017)

Why it might be a surprise hit of 2017:
>peaking franchise with a lot of great characters and plot
>1/10th of the bloated Warcraft budget
>SFX made by director's company (so pretty much for free)
>talented director with nothing to lose behind the camera
>decline of the capeshit -> renaissance of fantasy cinema

Problems:
>will it be released worldwide? If yes, China is going to pretty much bankroll the sequel, if no, there might never be another Witcher movie
>directorial debut
>The Sean Daniel Company and Thania St. John (though hopefully it's still Platige Image doing most of the ground work)
>PI CGI can look pretty artificial at times, maybe they got better

I know, we know almost nothing about it, but I believe it's going to be great.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jg6bz4x8Rvo
youtube.com/watch?v=1-l29HlKkXU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Year 2016 of the lord
>Getting hyped for game adaptation movies

How cute and innocent

book adaptation*

The game was amazing. No way the movie lives up to it

Same to be honest

Books were even better

A key part of the Witcher series is world building. Normies could give a fuck about world building and a movie wouldn't have the time for it anyway, so it's going to be shit.

Baginski grew up on Witcher novels and he said that while the games are great there's no comparison for him.
That's why CDPR doesn't want him to use the name 'Witcher' as a title.

>could give a fuck

There were plenty of 10/10 book adaptations, and none 10/10 game adaptation. That's the difference.
> movie wouldn't have the time for it
That's why we need a series.

Who is Sup Forums's pick for Geralt? Im definitely going with Brendan Fraser.

Pretty much. HBO should do it or one of the other cable channels.

Point is there needs to be plenty of violence and fucking.

I didn't even know they were making a movie, just finished the last expansion today.

T'was fun. Hearts of Stone had the best writing/plot/characters in the game in my opinion.

I thought the characters were a bit forgettable besides regis. But yeah the plot was probly the best out of the 3 main quest lines

>needs to be plenty of violence and fucking
There wasn't that much(like in GoT) of sex tho

>China
Is the Witcher series even popular in China? And aren't movies with ghosts and shiet haram/banned?

>garbage fantasy shit

fuck off Sup Forums

>Hearts of Stone had the best writing/plot/characters in the game in my opinion.
Agreed.

Why did you even bother to post?

oh please.

Hearts of Stone was fantastic, 10/10 witchering.
If the expansions came in the reverse order (B&W first except the epilogue, then HoS with the epilogue) it would be perfect.
Still as it is, Witcher 3 is pretty much one of the greatest RPGs of all time, if not the greatest.

I meant more that they need to be open with it and not need to censor it like on some fantasy shows.

Literally the first thing that happens in the first book is some girl comes into his room and fucks him. That's how he's introduced.

Then after knowing her for a day he fucks Yennifer in front of an audience after defeating a warlock or something.

They really need to be able to be as adult with it as they want.

They just had a movie with a fucking mermaid.
The witchcraft excuse was just to fuck with SONY.

Because he forgot what his penis looked like since his stock swallowed it years ago and the only thing that can get him off it to try and piss people off over the internet.

because he is fat.

Yeah, sure. I just hope it won't turn into some show for teenagers like GoT.
>muh fuging
>muh killing

>They really need to be able to be as adult with it as they want.
Well, in the old polish movie they were
NSFW

I admit I was a bit let down by Blood and Wine after HoS. Sure the visuals were fantastic and the fairytale mission looked amazing, but the plot and characters were pretty disappointing. Boss fights also weren't as good as Gravedigger or the wraith in the painting ones.

That whole mansion mission in HoS was so memorable. Really made me feel for Iris and at the end I couldn't even bring myself to let Olgierd die.

The perfect recipe for Witcher tv show:
20% existential crisis
40% slavic soul
20% fugging
20% killing

Yeah I saw some clips of that series.

Gonna have to sit down and watch it all someday.

I Agree
nononononononononono, don't do it m8, don't you ever think about doing that.

Agreed
This is the perfect recipe

Uhh... Just make sure you have a lot of alcohol at your disposal.

Haha

Well I've read all but the last 2 books (the one that just came out and the last one which hasn't been translated yet) and played the games so I guess I'd like to experience everything just for the sake of it.

I know it's supposed to be bad though lol

Will do

God please no

>I know it's supposed to be bad though
yeah...
youtube.com/watch?v=jg6bz4x8Rvo

is that supposed to be dandelion in the hat

>King Foltest, I'm Schoolf of the Wolf

yeah, Polish Robin Hood

I couldn't finish any of the witcher games.
they stories, setting and characters are great and interesting but the combat is so shit, grindy and boring, it feels like a chore.

They finally got the combat system right in 3rd one I think.

The books were pretty unmemorable as far as fantasy goes.
The games were garbage as well, except for 3.

People need to stop trying to claim that the entire series/universe is some godly thing because of 1 good game.

How about you stop being a fat fuck, eh fatty?

It's not for you

HoS is fucking excellent but B&W is worth it for Beauclair alone.

>tfw walking from the top of the palace to the bottom of the docks

lol i might watch if tomb raider reboot turns out ok, maybe vidyakino will happen

Books were huge outside the anglosphere even before the games happened.

>Not going in the reverse direction
I thought novigrad wouldn't be topped for years as the greatest video game city but bam just one year later based poles did it

Aren't they a big deal in Central Europe?

I like Novigrad and Beauclair, but best vidya city is Yharnam

Poland, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Russia, Hungary, but also Germany, France, Spain, Portugal.
It's weird but a decade before it was translated to English it was already available in most european languages.

I want Clancy Brown as Vesemir
And Bruce Campbell as Dandelion

Yharnam is a different beast, but yeah its equally good but i prefer my cities with the busy crowded streets and a good dose of comfy; the kind of place i wouldnt mind taking a vacation to.

Dude, Yharnam is the best health resort in the world.
It's also great for sightseeing.

This guy was great as Geralt.
Too bad that pretty much everything else around him was terrible.

Is it going to be in Polish?

Would be better in long-form, as an HBO series or something.

>The film will be an introduction to the Witcher’s world and is planned to be the beginning of a series. Thania St. John, an experienced Hollywood scriptwriter, author of such television productions as ‘Grimm’, ‘Chicago Fire’ and ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’, is working on the script as well as on its film and television continuation.

Just make it 2 hours of this and it'll be good:

youtube.com/watch?v=1-l29HlKkXU

But they'll probably need some sort of main antagonist so it'll be shit cause that's always the worst part about the witcher games

I wouldn't mind another Vilgefortz.

>But they'll probably need some sort of main antagonist so it'll be shit cause that's always the worst part about the witcher games
It's based on two short stories with no big villain.

>he thinks a video game movie could be a "surprise hit"

lol OP is a naive moron

Why should I care about the Witcher? The story isn't really that good
Fuck every game is good entirely because of the world and people in it, the main story has always been shit

Fuck me I wish I could get the game working.
760 GTX Nvidia card and 16GB of ram and my frames are so bad on the lowest settings the game is unplayable, people still going around saying it's the greatest RPG ever

But the story is shit.

"Oh, let's take a bunch of classic fairytales, slap a subversion on them and call it a day".

Fuck the plagiarist.

Where's my White Wolf?
Where's that Elric adaptation Universal has been sitting on for the past twenty years?

Just buy PS4 :^)

edgyfist go home

You've never read any of the books.

>will it be released worldwide? If yes, China is going to pretty much bankroll the sequel, if no, there might never be another Witcher movie
>China
>allowing a movie that will potentially have ghosts in it
about that

>implying problem were ghosts and not general Sony incompetence

problem is that commies allow to release only limited number of western movies and those places are occupied by big Hollywood production

They just released a movie about mermaid.
The issue was never ghosts.

you're full of shit. Geralt is introduced by killing some peasants in a bar just to get attention from some higher ups because he wants to get in touch with Foltest so he can solve his daughter's curse. After he was injured curing Foltest's daughter he was brought to a "hospital" where a "maid" had sex with him and he was dreaming of Yennefer the whole time and felt guilty afterwards.

>The books were pretty unmemorable as far as fantasy goes
fake bookfag confirmed. They are praised for their unique take on fantasy.

and he fucks Yennefer after binding his fate to hers forever just to save her from the djinn and they were alone.

On a serious note, who the fuck are they going to cast as Geralt? Din Beasil? Jason Stratham? I honestly don't think anyone could pull off a decent Geralt

Kingkiller Chronicles > Bitcher > GoT

This.

what is up with this? Neither the Witcher books/games or asoiaf contain a lot of nudity or sex. Is it just because of GoT?

Viggo Mortensen

M A D S M I K K E L S E N

To be honest, Witcher worldbuilding is pretty shit.
It doesn't make sense the the almost all-powerful sorceresses and mages simply dont enslave normal people and rule supreme

He's a manlet?

I'd honestly rather them go with an unknown. At least an American unknown. I think that'd be the best option. No expectations.

Too old.
If they get it right, there is going to be a tv series or a lot of movies coming up. Right now Mads is perfect, but ten years down the line?

1) They have limitations
2) They constantly try to assume control
3) They fight within themselves

>witcher
>good characters
>good story

they can, among others
teleport
mind control
cause explosins the size of a cruise missile

They would be even powerful in a modern day world. Realistically speaking, there is not much a medieval society could do against them

>only knows witcher from the prologue to w2 when he ragequit

they aren't all-powerful, though. If a sorcerer would try to become king, he probably wouldn't have the people behind him and someone could just kill him in his sleep or chain him up dimeritium which is pretty much their kryptonite. There are of course also other people like witchers that could take out a sorcerer in a fight.

>If a sorcerer would try to become king, he probably wouldn't have the people behind him and someone could just kill him in his sleep or chain him up dimeritium which is pretty much their kryptonite.
same problem a normal king would have. Only that he doesnt have magic superpowers.

And I mean, a single mage can destroy an entire human army or burn down a city, it doesn't really makes sense to show how they are persecuted like jews

those are all very limited though and they need to gather up energy to do them. Mind control is also not very subtle.

>666
Nice trips. Anyway:
>teleport
in the books it's last resort as teleports malfunction a lot
>mind control
temporary and could be deflected or blocked
>cause explosins
and afterwards they're drained

Let me remind you that Yennefer, one of the most powerfull sorceressess in the witcher uni almost died using all of her power trying to heal Geralt.

they are infertile. it would create power struggles every time one died.

All of this talk about magic kings.
Imagine witcher king, i.e. Lambert conquering some small state.

they could create a mage theocracy. Like Vatikan or something.

>in the books it's last resort as teleports malfunction a lot
well i dunno, in the games they teleport pretty casually.
And while their other powers have limits, they would still be incredibly useful even today, not to speak of a medieval world.

I am just saying, if a bunch of mages got together and said "ok humans, we are taking over now", there wouldnt be much the normal humans could do to stop them

>a single mage can destroy an entire human army or burn down a city
this is just bad writing in Witcher 2 but I guess a mage could create a small fire to burn down a city but so could pretty much anyone if they are lucky

>in the games
That's your problem. Geralt's 'I hate portals' is a big meme in games, but in the books it's a real concern as it can fuck your shit up, cut you in half, hell, even Ciri got dropped from one like 50ft in the air.
Mages and sorceressess hate each other much more than they hate normal people. You know, delusions of grandeur. And they try to control the world from behind the courtain.

triss in witcher 3 as well but the games play up everyones powers except monsters and the like

isn't it explained in the books that he once saw a guy get cut in half by a teleport?