ITT: New Jersey "Scene(s)"

I have an idea of what the basic local music "scene" is in Nj; I'm looking to see what other artists exist that maybe don't fit into that scene

Other urls found in this thread:

mirrorsandwires.bandcamp.com/album/sleight-of-hand
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

GABAGOOL

Blood Feast just put out a really good album

Afaik there really isn't a scene. I live near princeton, does anybody know of cool shit there? My area is just rich asians and boring white people and nobody likes music

Princeton Record Exchange....?

It was a better store twenty years ago.

20 years ago i lived in south jersey and had a long-distance relationship with a girl in north jersey. princeton record exchange was the halfway point. would always stop there when i made those trips. you could always find something new and interesting to listen to in there and you could always find a bargain...

Jersey doesn't have music scenes. They latch onto the Philly and NYC scenes and usually crash their cars on the way there.

literally this

>They latch onto the Philly and NYC scenes and usually crash their cars on the way there.
this. live in ocean county. the only scene we have are the metalcore bands that are literally everywhere. there is this cool "grunge revival" band from around here though called the Black Clouds and they're pretty chill.

I will never get the "NJ drivers being bad" meme.
>mfw i'm behind a ny license plate at a red light in a right lane

There's local hardcore?
Blind Justice is pretty great and they always do shows with bands from Richmond, Baltimore, and NYC at VFWs for like $10
Not everyone's scene tho

Anything in bergen county? I'm so bored here and hate having to go to nyc all the time to have fun. What about asbury park? Isn't the stone pony good

As a New Jersey musician, fuck you.
The Jersey Shore area has it's own music scene separate from Philly and NYC

That being said, the Jersey Shore music scene is almost entirely shitty pop punk
I should know, I play in one of those shitty pop punk bands

There are terrible drivers anywhere you go. I just moved down to Maryland though and maybe it's just because I've been doing a lot more driving the last couple months but I've seen more idiots here than anywhere else I've been.

One thing I've noticed though are NJ drivers are the most likely to tailgate you in the middle lane when you're already doing 70+ on the highway.

Edit: Shitty pop punk bands and shitty metalcore bands

There's a few people trying to do different things but it's hard to get any traction around here playing anything that doesn't sound like it came out in 2005

Yeah the tailgaters are definitely a problem here. It's almost always some guy in a pickup truck too.

Stone Pony can be embarrassingly bad. Local acts show up for what is basically an open mic and its just dads and kids. Their actual shows range from literally whos to ok. I've seen Lifetime and Slint play there but not much outside that seems good.
Asbury Lanes had a cool Pity Sex show and Jeff Rosenstock but that's gone now. I remember Today is the Day came through The Saint once.
New Brunswick has always had a cool basement scene even if most of the bands are shit.

I wanna try to get a dream pop band going this summer when I have time after this semester. I'm afraid I'll just end up playing some pop punk or meme folk if that doesn't work out though. Next year is my last semester at college so this basically my last shot at it.

I miss Asbury Lanes, it was the last piece of authenticity Asbury Park had

The New Brunswick basement scene sucks because it's so clicky. the same shit bands play constantly and good bands can't get get gigs.

>clicky
It's cliquey

I tried to get a fuzzy psychedelic rock band going last summer and the only people interesting in joining were weird old burnouts

You're right about the clique-y-ness. My friend's get shows there but the people who own/rent the houses never seem to want to get to know people or make an open community.

Sorry, I'll do better next time

Yeah but if they were any good they'd play in Philly

Yeah it's not great
I heard all the houses are getting shut down anyway

ayy im near Princeton,, Ewing to be exact.. yeah there is not a scene just gay highschool rappers

where you live by? wanna make a psych/dream pop band?

YOur band already sucks

I go to TCNJ. The free shows here are kind of shit(although they had Crying and Pile here recently.) Working in Trenton I regularly see a guy walking around with a guitar, so that's their musical output. I just drive to New Brunswick or Asbury Park/Long Branch. It's amazing how this college has like no creative output.
They are? I haven't heard anything about that, address information is just getting harder to find.

I would but I'm actually moving out of NJ this summer and I already have one band that I haven't broken that news to yet.

>I would but I'm actually moving out of NJ this summer
congratulations on that dude
:^(

yeah one of my good friends goes to tcnj, he would agree with you lol

mirrorsandwires.bandcamp.com/album/sleight-of-hand

I heard this band on WPRB late one night. Specifically, Sleight of Hand, which I think is a pretty cool track.