Hey Sup Forumsros

Hey Sup Forumsros
I have a project in school were i am to give a presentation about the creation of the IRA and how it evolved and i am at a stand still when it comes to the outcome of the Irish Civil war. What i wish to know is how the war ended, who "won" the civil war, why the "won" it, what meaning it had for the IRA and why the IRA continued they battle for a unified Ireland.
Any help whould be much appreciated,
Thanks!

No surrender the popes a bender

Oh, come out you black and tans,
Come out and fight me like a man
Show your wives how you won medals down in Flanders
Tell them how the IRA made you run like hell away,
From the green and lovely lanes in Killashandra.

>image
The IRA would not be represented with the Tri-colour ( green/white & orange ). As that flag stands for peace between the groups.

Which civil war? Or which IRA are you talking about ( e.g Provisional ).

fuck off nerd

Finally, I am referring to IRA that was against the anglo-irish treaty and how the civil war between that mentioned IRA and National army ended and why it ended. (the irish civil war in 1922)

I tried to read up everything about the conflict between IRA and britfags but was not so easy to follow the whole stories. I was pretty drunk though, hated the oppressing britfags and ended up singing irish rebelsongs on youtube. Fun night!
Tiocfaidh ár lá, sing up the 'RA

I feel you, i am sober and that shit is confusing as hell

Who let this IRA motherfucker in my bar?

OP here,
Feel i need to clarify that i have zero connection to the IRA and the conflict between the republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland. I am from Norway and i need this information so i wont fuck up when i hold my presentation.

Btw What county are you from? ( myself; Louth),

Wiki:
March and April 1923 saw this progressive dismemberment of the Republican forces continue with the capture and sometimes killing of guerrilla columns.[57] A National Army report of 11 April stated, "Events of the last few days point to the beginning of the end as a far as the irregular campaign is concerned".[58]

As the conflict petered out into a de facto victory for the pro-treaty side, de Valera asked the IRA leadership to call a ceasefire, but they refused. The Anti-Treaty IRA executive met on 26 March in County Tipperary to discuss the war's future. Tom Barry proposed a motion to end the war, but it was defeated by 6 votes to 5. Éamon de Valera was allowed to attend, after some debate, but was given no voting rights.[59]

Liam Lynch, the Republican leader, was killed in a skirmish in the Knockmealdown Mountains in County Tipperary on 10 April. The National Army had extracted information from Republican prisoners in Dublin that the IRA Executive was in the area and as well as killing Lynch, they also captured senior Anti-Treaty IRA officers Dan Breen, Todd Andrews, Seán Gaynor and Frank Barrett in the operation.

It is often suggested that the death of Lynch allowed the more pragmatic Frank Aiken, who took over as IRA Chief of Staff, to call a halt to what seemed a futile struggle. Aiken's accession to IRA leadership was followed on 30 April by the declaration of a ceasefire on behalf of the anti-treaty forces. On 24 May 1923, Aiken followed this with an order to IRA volunteers to dump arms rather than surrender them or continue a fight that they were incapable of winning.

Can't be bothered writing a paragraph in my own words, if you have question I don't mind answering.

Try reading books instead of burning them.
>captcha: street signs in Berlin

Fuck up ye fruit or I'll get the bai's to break yer fuckin' legs

Also, be weary with topics such as this.
There is a lot ( I mean A LOT ) of bias; from both sides.
>Norway
Why are you studying Irish History?

*aware ( not weary)

So if i understood that correctly, the civil war in 1922 ended with a cease fire, with northern ireland to remain within the United Kingdom?
From Norway btw

>Norway
>Ireland
You must be talking shite.
Because why the fuck would a Norwegian lad like yourself study the history of the IRA and Ireland.

I wouldnt say i am studying Irish history, i have an assignment where i am to talk about the evolvment of the IRA and what they are fighting for, so feel it is important to adress the first civil war and it, in combination with the anglo-irish treaty, split the IRA.

well why shouldnt i study it? i simply find it interesting.

I don't mean you shouldn't but why study Ireland?
Besides from the 1916 rising, IRA, northern Ireland and the famine we bearly got anything cool going on in history.

Sorta related, but given how badly the US has been shat on by terrorists in recent years and how the uprisings by terrorists in states like Syria has almost made the countries cease to exist, would the IRA if they tried to pull similar shit in N.Ireland today get anywhere near the same kind of support? The world seems a very different place now.

ironic considering all the nig nogs they import.

>Cease fire
Yes, because of the change in leadership.

>Remain in the UK
Not exactly; Although the British Government of the day had, since 1914, desired home rule for the whole of Ireland, the British Parliament believed that it could not possibly grant complete independence to all of Ireland in 1921 without provoking huge sectarian violence between overwhelmingly Protestant Irish Unionists and overwhelmingly Catholic Irish Nationalists. At the time, although there were Unionists throughout the country, they were concentrated in the north-east and their parliament first sat on 7 June 1921. An uprising by them against home rule would have been an insurrection against the "mother county" as well as a civil war in Ireland. (Lookup 'Ulster Volunteers'). Dominion status for 26 counties, with partition for the six counties that the Unionists felt they could comfortably control, seemed the best compromise possible at the time.( Northern Ireland )

What Ireland received in dominion status, on par with that enjoyed by Canada, New Zealand and Australia, was far more than the Home Rule Act 1914, and certainly a considerable advance on the home rule once offered to Charles Stewart Parnell in the nineteenth century albeit at the cost of the permanent exclusion of Northern Ireland( Northern Ireland is still apart of the UK).

IRA is a label that got thrown around a lot ( hence the civil wars ). What they stood for then is different then what they stand for know ( Not as simple as 'United Ireland' ).

No; The 'real' IRA wouldn't any way, They act more like a military(militia) than a terrorist group. All they have to do is wait it out as in the near future due to more nationalists ( united ireland) people being born more so than unionists there will come a time when the vote for unity ( which Sinn Fien have every now and again ) will get a 'United Ireland'.

The photo is from a different time.
What your talking about is thanks to Sinn Fien's moto is 'Brits out, Blacks in'.

Although I do live in Ireland ( On the East Coast ). Black people & Refugees are a very small minority.
More common are Poles and Eastern European states.
For an anecdote example I'm 22 at the moment and I hadn't seen a 'foreigner' until I was 14.

>Remain in the UK
So after the civil war the anglo-irish treaty was what became the decider thus having the 6 counties up north still remaing with the UK and then having the republic of ireland with its own self-governing government?
And btw, is there any way of contacting you outside of this forum haha, u seem to know quite a bit about this.

>Remain in the UK
Yes is simple terms, an un-bias irish historian would tell you more. Most of its reading wikipedia and a few books.

>Contact
Not trying to be rude but; do you need to? I study Data Science. I only know the non-wiki information because I've gone through a stage ( like emo, but Irish Nationalist) which some people who are twice my age are still in ( Ideas have people, not the other way around ).

What I mean by 'do you need to?' is how long are you going to be studying this topic. And I'll be honest, I may be un-bias but recent Irish History is not my forte.

Thanks for the compliment though.

>contact
Well i dont desperately need it, i only intend to throw a few questions at you if i get stuck again. I fully understand if you dont want to share that information, i most certainly have other ways of gathering the information a need. I am holding the presentation next week friday.
No problem ;)

The Departed ...... 'Nose Ointment!'.

Well sure then, this is a side email so its no bother man. I can't guarantee I'll be able to answer every question but I'll give it a shot, and if I don't hear from you again; good luck user :^)
[spoiler][email protected][/spoiler]

Thanks alot man!
Be never fails to impress;)

Get a Room....

Retard its a conflict in Europe within the last 40 years, why the fuck shouldn't he study it.

>more nationalists born than unionists
>born with political standpoint
This is N. Ireland's biggest problem. Also the weather.