ITT: Things people say about music that pisses you off

>it's not real music if they're just pressing a button

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=XlMjpeTz3MY
calebchase.com/newmusic.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>piano with a few knobs
Except will it work without electricity?

Autism?

How so?

>overrated rock band
who?

>oh yeah I play an instrument
>it's just a laptop

All of them.

And the fact it needs power to produce sound makes it not an instrument why?

but thats not a piano with a few knobs. its nothing like a piano besides it has a keyboard designed for a 12 tone scale....

A piano does not need electricity. Do you know what a piano is user?

That's an instrument yes. I don't get your post?

>That's an instrument yes
How so? What sound does it make? How do you play it?

Radiohead

yeah i own one

I think that probably most of the people who complain about the musical process being too automated aren't complaining about minimoogs from 1978.

How much did you pay for it?

it can make lots of different sounds and played in many different ways. i would say for the most part people use synthesizers or midi based sample keyboards and sequencers on it.

The DAW on the machine, like the strings in a plank of wood with a hole in it.

I'd like to see one of those kids try to even get sound out of my modular system lol...

why does it matter?

A piano still needs power (the force exerted on the keys), which is transformed mechanically into a completely different sound than keys clacking.

>The DAW on the machine
Oh a mulitrack recorder?

No we are discussing instruments.
I don't believe you own one.

*farts into mic*
here you go

He knows what a piano is. He's asking why it matters if it needs power or not.

>A piano still needs power
A piano does not need electricity. Do you know what a piano is user?
>He's asking why it matters if it needs power or not.
Pianos don't require electricity.

It was originally owned by my dad so i don't know how much he paid for it. What are you trying to prove?

>It was originally owned by my dad
So you don't own one. Your parents do. So that means you live at home. You do realize this is an 18+ board right?

I didn't say that a piano requires electricity. I said that it requires power. Electricity is a kind of power, like kinetic force is a kind of power.

>I said that it requires power
Sounds like your mistake then

No.

Have you ever heard of inheriting something user?

How'd you inherit it?
Why not? We were discussing electricity, not force.

What an idiot you're proving yourself to be.

How so?

*punches you in your gay fag face*

get sunk kid

My parents are fucking dead.

A monosynth is significantly different than a piano, especially since it's limited to one note at a time. Rock kids love old Moog shit anyway. None of this shit matters. The end product is what's important. Getting caught up in trivial things like "What is a genuine instrument?" is a waste of time. These days most musicians don't care and understand that tools are tools. Most folks keeping these discussions alive are listeners who are weary of change. Things that also don't matter are technicality/extreme dexterity, knowledge, and clarity, though they can definitely be appreciated. To truly be "about the music" you need to separate yourself from shitty politics.

How'd they die?

*farts while being punched*
you: "who's playing my modular?

I don't really see how my personal life ties in with proving a fucking synthesizer is a musical instrument

By contradicting my "precious beliefs" on instruments with your chaotic-neutral questions. And failing to actually bring an argument to the table.

Lol why so skeptical of someone who says they own a fucking piano? One of the most common instruments there is

Watch the edge there, xx_Skrillex666_xx, you might cut yourself

September 2001 WTC. no jk

In order to determine what a "musical instrument" is, we must first determine what "music" is.

As soon as the lewronggeneration nigger ITT defines "music" for us, we can get somewhere.

sound from an instrument is music. >:^)

>A piano does not need electricity. Do you know what a piano is user?
The human body actually have electricity (You can see it on the ECG).
Thats why people are more likely to enjoy electronic sounds.

>this thread went exactly as op planned

Music started in 1910.

no, not really

>spend ridiculous amount on modular system
>create terrible useless sounds that you cant recreate without massive effort

sure hope you rip audio as you play

That's fucked up if it's true. Sorry man

>I don't really see how my personal life ties in
Then why'd you bring up that you own a piano?
>a fucking synthesizer is a musical instrument
When did I say it wasn't?

The image says a synthesizer is a piano, which is not correct
>By contradicting my "precious beliefs" on instruments
Sounds like your problem
See above. He made a false claim, then lied and said he owned one
Misdirection

will peeano work without string?

>Oh a mulitrack recorder?
It's like the legs of the real piano. You push buttons inside it (which are the instrument)

yes it can also record and mix and shit

>yes it can also record and mix and shit
That's fine.

But it's not an instrument

>Then why'd you bring up that you own a piano?
because you asked if i knew what a piano was you sperglord

>because you asked if i knew what a piano was
Then why did you lie about owning one? You could have just said "no I don't"

Actually, that's right. The DAW is a sandbox for the actual instruments, which would be things like VST plugins.

Conditional music. Lame

>daws are like the legs of a piano
what the fuck am i reading

Two retards arguing.

youtube.com/watch?v=XlMjpeTz3MY

>he DAW is a sandbox for the actual instruments, which would be things like VST plugins.
Now you are getting it. The actual instrument would be the software. The laptop itself is not an instrument unless you are using it persuasively.

>not sampling the noise of the key press
>pitch it up
>200 ms decay in sampler
>pitch up
>increase transient
>decrease sustain
>gate for snap
>saturate noise into high end
>eq into form
>snare made from keyboard without electricity

could equally do the same with anything your understanding of what music is, is that of a fool.

how do you use a laptop persuasively?

OK. So, a piano is not an instrument but the hammers and strings that it contains are.

do people really say this? I know people get pissy about sequencing and drum machines as far as live performances but I've never heard anyone say a analog synth wasn't a real instrument

>72410582
>The DAW on the machine

a studio isn't an instrument in the same way a an Avid isn't a camera no matter how supremely important it is to the final sound

how did I fuck up linking ?

so was right after all....

this thread is getting impressively retarded

No, don't worry get I know and understand synthesis. I just look forward to when WWIII takes away your ability to trample over talent with jive-ass lo-fi hip hop.

>"hey user, we're having a jam session."
>"can i bring my laptop?"
>"sure"

wat do?

Hey I have a minimoog model d
and not the reissue

roast me

except that wasnt synthesis, it was sampling, which could be done with a tape deck? or any platform?

and its not for lo fi hip hop these are using the 5 means of audio maniplulation which is what constitutes *all* sound creation

the fact you think this makes lo fi hip hop implies you are a retard

>So, a piano is not an instrument
It is an instrument. Look it up.
No. Piano is an instrument, a laptop is not

>back to blatant denial

This is getting boring.

>No. Piano is an instrument, a laptop is not
so he was right after all

>back to bleepbloop defensive mode
This is why it's funny

That's why we love Sup Forums

Right about what?

Why do you talk like a second-year Ableton user? There's two ways to affect sound. Amplitude and frequency. That's it. You aren't going to prove this wrong, and you aren't a musician.

>metal is basically like classical
>oh you just dont like metal because you dont like complex guitar playing
>oh you just dont like metal because its too aggressive for you

Actually, I listen to very little electronica. I mainly listen to metal. But I guess that's about the same, since my guitars use electricity.

>since my guitars use electricity.
Do you also think they are acoustic guitars?

>AKCHTUALLY
Actually, the aesthetic you've developed an attachment to is determined by the shit you've bought than any conception, so you're a jive-ass.

music is any consciously ordered series of sound of specific tonality on a specific rhythm.

ayacktchually, I was a classical pianist for several years growing up, then went into acoustic blues guitar, then left off playing music myself when I dived into metal listening.

>thread about things people say that start arguments
>OP starts a thread consuming argument

I don't care.

without a DAW there are 5 ways to manipulate sound and every piece of music ever recorded was recorded with an understanding of them.

of course i cant prove that wrong because its not relevant to what i said, amplitude and frequency are ways of measuring audio not ways to manipulate them

changing phase relationships, slowing/speeding samples up, flanging, pitching while addressing the speed change, saturation/distortion (tube, tape, triode) are the ways of manipulating sound what you said are means of measuring them

So an electric guitar is not an instrument?

Sad.

Can't come up with a better response? I've also studied music as biology and music as culture, so you're pretty off the mark about me being a consumer pleb.

this thread is solid proof that electronic fans on Sup Forums are braindead retards

>changing phase relationships
Amplitude

>slowing/speeding samples up
Frequency

>flanging
Frequency and amplitude

>pitching while addressing the speed change
Frequency

>saturation/distortion (tube, tape, triode)
Amplitude

>ever recorded
You're fixated on the wrong elements.

>studied music as biology and music as culture
>consumer pleb

these people actually exist

this thread is solid proof that electronic haters on Sup Forums are braindead retards

what about indeterminancy and aleatoric music? those are established modes of musical thought that dont fit your defintion...

or this sound piece?
calebchase.com/newmusic.html

>muh chord progressions and muh time signatures I'm so musical xD