Mocks Geraldo at the beginning of the album because he said hip hop is worse for the black community than racism

>mocks Geraldo at the beginning of the album because he said hip hop is worse for the black community than racism
>proceeds to use extremely foul language and glorify drugs, money, killing, banging random women, and hatred of the police (and giving young impressionable black youth the impression that they're most likely to die because of the police, not their actions) for 55 minutes; even takes the lord's name in vain at least once

lol

>thinks he's funny
>actually a faggot

lol

anything except rap and country faggot detected

The song is satirical but everyone's too dumb to realise. Oh well.

Huh?

>Being satirical when the audience is too stupid to see through it
Hence why hip hop is worse for the black community :^)

Honest question: why is this considered, and critiqued, based on the pretense of it being "music"? In my opinion it should instead be treated as literature and reviewed by book or poetry reviewers, not music reviewers and Sup Forums. The "music" on this album is just a bunch of repetitive samples, and honestly sounds like music that would be perfect for a ghetto retirement home elevator. Any 12 year old can do this sort of thing and it would probably make for a more intriguing listen. Compare all of this sampling and repetitive basic instrumentations to even the shittiest of rock bands (seriously, the shittiest you can think of); they at least have a talent (playing an instrument) and don't copy other's work like a child in school (who would receive detention for "sampling" (e.g., copying), and rightfully so).

But even when we judge the album as poetry, even by that standard, it fails to impress from an objective point of view. The rhymes are bad, the subject matter is lame, the poet does not have a good command of the English language, there is much slang, and much of his arguments are factually incorrect.

There is something else at play here, and I can't quite put a finger on it, if someone could explain why this poorly written album of poetry is actually getting high reviews it would be greatly appreciated.

bro it's post-post-ironic you just don't get it

the juxtaposition of God's message with trap-influenced beatz are what make this album genius. I know this because Pitchfork and Anthony Fantano told me so

>Honest question: why is this considered, and critiqued, based on the pretense of it being "music"?
Because music is the most plebian "art form" of all, meqning it's the only one that will calidate such garbage prose. To compare the kind of urban trash hiphop produces to classical literature would be absurd. Music is literally the only environment this trash can thrive in.

Did you listen to it?

Just got done listening to it yeah.

Is this you, user?

This is the real story

Because it's Kendrick Lamar. Kendrick, J. Cole, and Drake can literally mumble random words and people will praise it. I completely agree with you, rappers shouldn't really be considered musicians

This

t. average Kendrick fan, completely unable to create any semblance of an actual argument when attempting to defend their lord and savior, who they only like because they're told to like

I'm genuinely confused as to whether this is bait or not

>completely misses the point

The Great Gatsby and Death of a Salesman are considered classic and both are pretty shitty books.

What are some works you consider classic?

I see your point but there is good hip-hop out there. Take A Tribe Called Quest for example. Whether your like hip hop or not, nobody can deny that it took talent for them to make what they made, and it wasn't just them rapping; they actually rapped over really good music and the production was phenomenal as well. Even the sampling was high quality. They made art. The lyrics can stand on their own but so can the music.

Damn has no merit whatsoever musically speaking. So to judge the album as music, it's ridiculous to give it a 9/10, or an A, or a 95/100, because there's no chance in hell the music merits this kind of rating. So they are obviously basing their rating on

>lyrics
>their own social/political biases
>getting paid to do so

The lyrics are, objectively, shit. Not even his flow or delivery of said shit is good.

Which means it's a combination of the reviewers social/political biases (pro-black, anti-white, anti-American) as well as them getting paid big bucks to promote this steaming pile of worse-than-mediocre shitola.

>proceeds to use extremely foul language
what are you, fucking six?
>glorifies drugs
Oh fuck you're right, i just read that article about how if you take more than 6 weed you can die xD
>money
"30 shows a month and won't buy me no lexus" you disproved that point lmao
>banging random women
"I'm so fucking sick and tired of the photoshop, show me something real" you're acting like he's making a bad statement
>hatred of the police
all his songs about police brutality lead to conclusion that black people are fine, and if anything, hypocrites for killing other black people

Now go back to your pretentious harsh noise thread ty

while you are arguing against someone that I disagree with, you'r being a huge cunt about it
>Now go back to your pretentious harsh noise thread ty

I don't think you know anything about music

I assumed you were the OP because of context. Wrong person I guess...

Yeah, I listen to Outkast and a Tribe Called Quest once in awhile. I've actually been listening to "country rap" recently, since I'm in the South and it's just a different sound. Shit like J.Cole and Kendrick just sound the same to me after awhile, same messages of white people and cops are evil

>objectively my opinion is right and yours is wrong
almost forgot where I was for a moment, thanks for reminding me

>glorifying

What shitty and stale rhetoric. The Great Gatsby isn't even poetry. You expect me to put in serious effort into a reply to a post that is the rhetorical equivalent of instant ramen? Go fuck your ear with a rusty knife.

you can critique anything. after andy warhol, consumer culture and art became inseparable.

>the rhymes are bad

>what are you, fucking six?
Doesn't change the fact he uses extremely foul language throughout the album.

>Oh fuck you're right, i just read that article about how if you take more than 6 weed you can die xD
Doesn't change the fact he glorifies drug use throughout the album.

>"30 shows a month and won't buy me no lexus" you disproved that point lmao
Doesn't change the fact he glorifies gettin' monay throughout the album, like

>Room full of clothes, bag full of money: call it loose change
>Fumbled my jewelry, 100k, I lost a new chain

>"I'm so fucking sick and tired of the photoshop, show me something real" you're acting like he's making a bad statement
You forgot

>let me put the head in
>Go hit you a lick, go fuck on a bitch

Oh and let's not forget his glorifying of killing others!

>I'll take your fuckin' life for this shit, nigga

What's Sup Forums problem with Kendrick ? Ok you don't like his music but why fucking make 20 threads about him every hour ...

plen

>there is much slang
this is not a bad point though
slang has been used with great results in poetry since at least françois villon

As cheesy as it is, this is the truth. Kendrick is a hypocrite.

>i'm just pretending to be dumb

>doesn't change the fact
Oh, you ARE six...
>doesn't change anything
Weed literally isn't harmful
>Still glorifies money
Saying he has a lot of money isn't glorifying anything
>You forgot "let me put the head in"
the song is about LUST and what lust means. If you're so much of a fucking simpleton to not understand deeper meanings then you shouldn't critique music
>I'll take your life for this shit nigga
If you think "I'll kill for this position I am in" is ruining black youth you need to go outside holy fuck

now please get off your own dick and go back to your patrician chart thread TY

Double standards and hypocrisy are his favorite themes in songwriting dummy

Kendrick writes about being a hypocrite in every other song, and this is coming from someone that likes his music

>Weed literally isn't harmful
MODS

it's basically the point of the entire album, and half of TPAB. except kendrick now is questioning his role as a savior, a martyr, even a proponent of his own christianity

Weed is objectively harmfull for the development of humans below a certain age, it's your faut for getting all your informacion from facebook posts

>His role as a savior, a martyr

Disgusting. This dude's messiah complex is abhorrent. Literally slightly more subtle than Hopsin's

weed actually has turned many people into unmotivated, sulking, self-medicating dullards with no direction or aspiration. sure, it doesn't "harm" you, but complacency and any sort of chemical interference (especially one that amplifies complacency) is not a good combination.

i mean the bible says spread the word of God, he's not exactly Jesus for that anymore than some obese Methodist in rural tennessee is.

you can say he thinks he's more important than he is, but i think he knows his shortcomings better than you think he does

>doesn't smoke weed

You literally just said he was question his role as a savior and a martyr. That is the exact equivalent of thinking you're extremely important.

Spreading the word of god =/= being a savior nor a martyr. Being a martyr would require dying. Metaphorically, he hasn't exactly done anything "martyr-like"

i said he's questioning the role. as in, something he's performing. and likely something he believes is cast upon him. my martyr comment is based on his apparent anxiety he will be violently pursued for his wealth or his social standing. john lennon comes to mind.

how's high school bud?

believe it or not, other people smoked weed and realized it's a dumb hobby when they grew up

It's satirical, you fucking mong.

>55 minutes
wrong....?