/daily/ - no thread edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>templates/listenalong schedules
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

>discord
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~JLR
orgyofthewill.net
orgyofthewill.net/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/your_infamous_harp/prah_suomafni_ruoy/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nicolas_collins/it_was_a_dark_and_stormy_night/
rateyourmusic.com/list/bulinger96/favorite_albums_by_year__with_commentary_/
youtube.com/watch?v=wjpsChYgbGs&list=PLkEzOSwGafYAGcpUUqrvBdaf4-lYd-3BK
rateyourmusic.com/label/koka_records/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

sippin on some codeine

Ok ok I like this more now

don't do it co

>jandek - dallas thursday
a whole buncha copies of the same not-good song. eerie keyboard chords, trumpet noodling, and weird near-spoken female vocals. not my cup o tea.

Just noticed you guys have two different rating systems on the same chart. C'mon bro...

yeah
contributes to the DIY charm tho

this kills the dog

btw theres a cool new format called .png you should try it

I'm sad I've never panned dogwander-core before

also if fish wants to convert I'm down it is getting a bit jay pegged

this novcon is a real problem child

there should have been a semicolon

I'm sad; I've never panned dogwander-core before

can i replace him

yes

nice nice i'll think up a rec in a sec

wait co

can you post the updated dailycore chart with the user you added a few days ago

also have fun with life my dude

suzy solar - ocean of love

do i need a trip or name to post here?

*users
kinda

you just posted without would you look at that

you don't need shit
usually just avatarfagging works

imposter

2.5/5

Comfy album, will be nice during warm summer days, though mostly it's pretty forgettable
Wish the sound quality would be a BIT better too

Oh yeah, best track: the first [untitled]

this kills the fish

:o

If you want to read the most hilarious bullshit written by a pseudo-intellectual to explain why he can't get into experimental and avant-garde art, check this out:
rateyourmusic.com/~JLR

please stop posting my rym

>that curve

Lmao why even listen to music?

It looks like a side profile of my body

>aesthetic qualities are the only thing that matters in regards to if music is good
i'm not even this jaded wtf

About my ratings.

A highly complex work is aesthetically worthless without (at least somewhat) commensurate depth; i.e. coherent and meaningful structuring of the material, which is required of all forms of expression to be of any real value. The magnitude of the depth is dependent on the complexity of a work; with zero complexity there can be no material at all, but complexity without depth, that is to say without meaning, is just boring, or even nonsensical (or as in the case of negative depth--material made with the dickless ambition to sound 'challenging', because the composer is a pretentious hipster, and this is how subhumans compete socially with one another--which by all healthy accounts sounds just fucking atrocious).

Listening to 'progressive' (a term which in modern times has come to designate almost its antonym) music that amounts to mere technical demonstration is comparable to reading a thesaurus, which can be relatively instructive, but when these masturbators take themselves so seriously that they elevate their aesthetically useless shred above all other--or actual--artforms, they are more akin to the pseudo-intellectual, spewing meaningless hard-word drivel in order to appear as something they are not. While there undoubtedly is some power in spouting difficult nonsense, it does not make it aesthetically meaningful.

"...every new artistic means that is evolved (instrument, technique, mechanic) expands an artform's possibility space, thereby increasing — not only the potential for a higher, more complicated and more aesthetically pleasing work, but at the same time the potential for a more wretched work than has hitherto been possible." -- Alex Kierkegaard (On the Genealogy of "Art Games": A Polemic*)

>mfw he's a metalfag
lol

that guy is an icycalm follower

you might want to look further into who that is

sounds like pseud version of Qwerty

>Four Autechre albums 0.5
>Basinski, Dirty Projectors, Miles Davis, Stars of the Lid, 0.5
>Jonsi - Go
>5.0

It's seriously the most pretentious shit I've ever read and the fact he almost only likes metal is fucking hilarious

Also apparently he lives closeby

>interrobang laughing at someone not liking autechre
hmmm

this is some crazy ass shit

oh my god

>with zero complexity there can be no material at all, but complexity without depth, that is to say without meaning, is just boring, or even nonsensical (or as in the case of negative depth--material made with the dickless ambition to sound 'challenging', because the composer is a pretentious hipster, and this is how subhumans compete socially with one another--which by all healthy accounts sounds just fucking atrocious).

Maybe the most pretentious sentence I've ever heard good lord

Fucking triggered

Coltrane pales in comparison to the depth and complexity of true technical genius like Dream Theater

you can meme me like that once I listen to the rest of their discography

>makes his own game forum because gets banned from most of them
>icy got the idea to compile some of his articles in book format, and incensed with the number of "idiots" signing up to his forum, decided to make it so that to register, you have to pay a $50 fee, and thereafter you're at icy's mercy not to get banned (which, as it turns out, it became nearly impossible not to).
haha oh wow

>As part of this spiralling off the deep end, icy decided it would be a good idea to branch out of 'just' videogame journalism into dedicated pseudo-philosophy.
greatest character development of all time

laughing

deal

new /daily/-core philosophy:

orgyofthewill.net

(start at the bottom)

those 5's

>699. Sup Forums is without a doubt the worst website in the history of the internet. I have never seen such an agglomeration of stupidity and wretchedness anywhere else, nor would have imagined that so much ugliness — mental, and no doubt also physical — could be possible in this world if I had never come across it. And they are all fully aware of this, which is why they prefer to remain anonymous, and almost immediately trash everything that they write, since they know it's rubbish. We are talking about individuals so weak and fearful that even the nicknames used by forum users feel too restrictive and oppressive to them. Individuals so slow and incoherent that they don't want others to be able to connect even as much as two of their posts together and hold them accountable for some measure of logic between them. This is the true bottom of the barrel of (sub)humanity. And that's why I keep an eye on it from time to time. You couldn't even meet such idiots in the street, since people in the street possess at least the minimum amount of strength required to leave their rooms and walk around. So if my site is the greatest site that exists and that will ever be made (and it is), Sup Forums is the lowest one, and will remain so for as long as it remains the internet's bastion for all those who are attracted by anonymity (which is to say for nobodies).
>And now sit back and watch the torrent of threads confounding anonymity with pseudonymity that will be popping up on there.

orgyofthewill.net/

This is the most confusing curve I've ever seen

Also

>The Queen is Dead given 4 stars

That seems so out of place in the rest of his rankings wtf

I mean, this person is just a liar that's butthurt about not being able to get into Coltrane. Nobody in their right mind bother continuing. He does that thing where he listens to part of the first track and then decides to rate it.

Like, he's listened to over 12,000 albums and less than 1,000 of them are at least "somewhat appealing"

I hope no one in the world ever has to interact with this person, this is batshit crazy

If I didn't already listen to Jonsi - Go, trans may have actually won. Eric VS Trans = biggest meme fight

>Nobuko Hori - Xtoyourmilkyhair
>Glitch Pop, Sound Collage

Lots of reversed, distorted, choppy, and amped up sampling from all kinds of media, with female samples placed behind the mess. Think Arca, if he were asian and didn't care as much about sample quality. what is it with japanese electronic music artists and their bizarre album composition choices

Mindless warbling and a piercing chime introduces the album in Kulk, and expands on itself in Talk To You-- it's like conversing with a broken automata. GGGGR follows by constructing an actual rhythm backbone that the song notes for maybe a minute.

Sukinan uses a robotic string section to feel a bit more human, somehow. Humummm builds off of the vocals rather than the glitch, and it's one of the more unnerving tracks. ITE is a slight bit of relief as an interlude. Soi is probably the most focused and enjoyable track on the record, cutting the vocals into an actual groove, but sadly lasts only 2 minutes. Dashyou is another snippet that uses the distorted sampling to actually be catchy, but not before a harmonica (ugh) is used on XEXE.

OOO is the longest track on the Xtoyourmilkyhair, and we already hear the singer playing along on a musical toy to begin.

It's a unique product, and much more interesting than your average noise album, but a bit directionless and one-note to rate any higher.

7/10

>Royksopp - Melody A.M.
>Downtempo, Ambient

Apparently Moby - Play 's nephew. Not surprising to see why it's rated so high on rym-- it's super accessible for any music listener, and the first few tracks are easy to please with. Royksopp have absolutely no trouble in assembling groovy and catchy tracks; calm vocal features, the firm bass guitar, the timeworn synth textures, the shimmers of piano, and the drums play a huge/hidden role in supporting each track.

Royksopp's Night Out is the funkiest of the tracks on here, and a personal favorite for how winding and deceptively straightforward it is. And that two note orchestra hit that comes in during the chorus: fuckin tasty.

She's So is like watching a city get enveloped by a night sky, and 40 Years Back / Come offers two quiet electronic soliloquies.

The aforementioned tracks are what keeps the album fresh after the catchy pop influences of the first side of the album, using house and funk to mix things up. This most certainly could have been a mediocre album if Royksopp tried to make more radio hits after the first few tracks.

At the end of the album, I can't help thinking that these guys are truly one of the forefathers of at least 40% of all Soundcloud artists. But unlike Moby, it's hard not to like them.

8/10

Oh damn that's Trans? Kinda looks like elton johnson

No, transgod is a German twink

AND NOW WE HAVE TWO

Eric and Wool, I'll keep things simple and ask for one album, best shit you can recc

I was at least right in one of my bets

>I stumbled my way into the finals with my shitty electronic memes

Oh jeez. Any prize for second place? I'll send you a rec in a little btw

i promise this has nothing to do with the fact that ? made me lose to jangle
>dusk at cubist castle vs only
one of these records is a compilation of some amazing psych pop songs, some ok psych pop songs, and some pretty good weird noisy shit.

the other is jarring and lacking melody, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but i just didn't enjoy it at all. I'm pretty sure i understood what they were going for (collagey soulful purposefully weird stuff) but it didn't do anything for me. also i couldn't stand the female vocals.

fish advances! thanks for playing ?!

Hitting you with the other big guns

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/your_infamous_harp/prah_suomafni_ruoy/

i am more nervous about this than should reasonably be expected

nani sore

omae wa... nanimono da?!

uhhh best I can do is make a custom meme for you like Eric

I was expecting this cus I mistook you for Rodriguez

So basically I made you listen to an album I knew you wouldn't like

B)

what

Alright I'm just gonna go for it

Here's my rec:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nicolas_collins/it_was_a_dark_and_stormy_night/

exactly
its okay. i mean it wasn't awful and I'm usually sort of on board with rod's whole aesthetic or whatever. there's always next tourney ;;;)

Also can you post a fullsized version of that sky simplified meme i wanna save it

hold up I'm gonna make it nicer since it was pretty grainy before

Saw this floating around on here but now i have to do it oh boy
AND its against a glitch pop album wew

I REFUSE to make this a lossless format. This image will be converted from a Jay Peg over my dead body.

With that said...

>Jandek - Dallas Thursday
Holy hell I HATED this. I accept that Jandek is a very interesting, self-made, DIY musician. I like a lot of his stuff and it's amazing how much of a consistent output he has. Stuff like this really turns me off from exploring his catalog though. It's basically 75 minutes of the SAME sort of Jazz improv. However, it feels extremely composed, repetitive, and mind-numbingly same-y. If it weren't for the lyrics, I would really have trouble distinguishing one track from the next. The performances by all musicians are very good, but this shit is too much.

darn heck

not really lol. It's not something I expect most people to like I just think it's good and unique.

Eric is cool but I'm rooting for my man Woolite let's gooo

>tfw when Green Typewriters 9 hits
I'm cum

I'll getchya a rec in a sec buddy ;))

no recs yet pls
specific restrictions once again

this is too much wew

>It's not something I expect most people to like I just think it's good and unique

Yeah I liked it as an out-there relase and will definitely try it again. I really like the review on RYM too, really made me think

>i wanted to find out more about Naang Naang so i searched around and i found the guy that found this cassette at a record shop one day and he ripped it and uploaded it to his blog and that's how it emerged on the internet and i find that very obtusely cool. this album is pure joy, like wow. the lo-fi, crackly guitars, the beautiful melodies, godly vocals, it's all just so perfect.

>so what this made me realise. is how hidden the beauties of life are. how hidden certain treasures can be. imagine, this cassette in a box labelled "tapes: $1" amongst some other secondhand tapes that have been played once and thrown in a box. now imagine hundreds of cassettes in this box at a record fair.

>there's hours upon hours of the best music you'll ever hear collecting dust in someone's attic. your potential favourite ever song could be a limited pressing single out there somewhere with a couple scratches piled under thousands of other singles in someone's cupboard, to never be played again. i feel it's something like this -- life's treasures are deep and hidden, yes, but it takes only one person to uncover and share this beauty to bring thousands of smiles.

okay thanks love you

do me and pig next or else

I'm doing trans and nyar right now

pretty sure nat is gonna be resurrected

Anyone want to give me recs for the years that are missing

rateyourmusic.com/list/bulinger96/favorite_albums_by_year__with_commentary_/

>nothing for '67 or '91
Am I being rused

this is new one using album art

its got rough edges i know ugg

and this is older one

cool thanks

1992: Tom Waits - Bone Machine
1991: Slint - Spiderland
1982: Nurse With wound - Homotopy To Marie
1980: Talking Heads - Remain In Light
1979: Throbbing Gristle - 20 Jazz Funk Greats
1967: Nico - Chelsea Girl
1965: John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
1964: Jan Johansson - Jazz På Svenska

Have you not listened to these?

Nice, I hope you like it! Looks like it's gonna be a solid matchup

>I'm rooting for my man Woolite let's gooo

:')

I heard a couple of those, didn't really fall in love with them enough to make the list. Any recs based on what's already there?

That shit is really crazy to me. I would probably pay like $50 for a Nang Nang or Pale Cocoon tape, yet somewhere they're probably sitting in some bargain-bin for a dollar or less.

Ever since I've heard that 78 RPM compilation by Dust-to-Digital from South East Asia, I've really been infatuated with the area. I want to learn decent Burmese and visit Myanmar someday.

The thing is, the Nang Nang live videos on YT have a decent amount of views, so they're obviously popular to some extent on that side of the world:
youtube.com/watch?v=wjpsChYgbGs&list=PLkEzOSwGafYAGcpUUqrvBdaf4-lYd-3BK

Here's some obvi ones

>Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Free for All
>John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
>The Sonics - Here Are The Sonics!!!

>No 1967
Vro.
>John Fahey - Volume 6: Days Have Gone By
>The Mothers of Invention - Absolutely Free
>Songs of Leonard Cohen
>VU&N

>Jorge Ben - África Brasil
>Modern Lovers - s/t
>Upsetters - Super Ape

>This Heat - s/t
>PiL - Metal Box
>Yellow Magic Orchestra - Solid State Survivor

>Talking Heads - Remain in Light
>The Sound - Jeopardy
>Bauhaus - In the Flat Field

>Cocteau Twins - Treasure
>Meat Puppets II
>Either Smiths Album? Do ya like the smiths kids?
>Manuel Göttsching - E2-E4

>Spacemen 3 - The Perfect Prescription
>Dinosaur Jr. - You're Living All Over Me
>Negativland - Escape From Noise

Exuma - Exuma
Comus - First Utterance
芸能山城組 - Ecophony Gaia

>attack attack vs infest
this attack attack album /might/ be the worst thing i've ever heard, but i totally understand (from a distance) why transgod likes it.

infest's record was better, but not good. screamy bangy hardcore punk that's just not my style. certainly not minor threat.

nat is revived, trans and nyar are out!

Yer shleepin' on 90-93 my guy. I think you'd really dig early Ween, the first two Mercury Rev albums, Heaven or Las Vegas, the first two "Bare Nuckle" soundtracks, Bone Machine, and Laughing Stock.

Also, sorry I recced so much post-punk lol but I'm biased + it was most of the best stuff released in the 80s.

rateyourmusic.com/label/koka_records/

Just drone this label for every year you need because it is the best label of all time

You don't need to know Burmese to go there. Definitely go if you get the chance. I wad there a few months ago and it's an incredible country.

Yeah I get you. Since I started getting more into music from all over the world, all I want to do is travel and crate dig lol. Imagine the music you can find at tiny thrift stores in rural asia

>I wad there a few months ago and it's an incredible country.
Really? That's awesome! Do many of the people speak English? What exactly did you visit/see? What you recommend seeing there? SE Asia is a really fascinating area of the world to me just because I really know so little about it.

Yeah I really do wonder what the music culture is like there. I wonder if shops that sell tapes would even be easy to find.

>No early 90s hip-hop
>No 60s jazz

Blasphemous. But really, you made some solid choices in there

>I wonder if shops that sell tapes would even be easy to find.

If not, maybe befriending people there could turn up some nice finds. I've found lots of strange stuff from people's parents etc. and listening to old cassette mixtapes I've found

>They made the ass album
noice.

Oh fuck I completely forgot about pure guava, that'll do. Not really the other two though