Why was bender such an insufferable dick in the newer episodes?

Why was bender such an insufferable dick in the newer episodes?

I know he he was always a dick but it seemed worse in the newer ones.

It's just a rule in comedy shows, especially cartoons, that traits get amplified as the show goes along.

King of the Hill actively avoided this which is why King of the Hill is so great.

Create strong, likeable, complex characters from the start and they don't need to be flanderized to keep up the humour.

I'm a huge KOTH fan, but it did have significant Flanderization, especially with Peggy, Bill and Dale.

No, King of the Hill did it too. It's just that they mixed it up with realistic character development for the most part, so it wasn't too obvious.

I know it sounds like a contradiction but I make sense, right?

They ran out of good ideas and pandered to what was left of their original fanbase by highlighting all of the most loved parts of the original run ie Bender is a dick, Fry chasing after Leela, muh references etc

Peggy and Dale don't change significantly from the early seasons though. In fact, most of Dale's most out there stuff happens in the first half of the show.

Bill possibly but it's mostly just exploring his issues and how lonely he is.

None of the characters ever become single note characterizations and most of them have natural growth/storylines.

I don't completely disagree with you, I'm just saying that these characters did get exaggerated as the series went on. I'm not saying it was Steve Urkel level, but KOTH can't be completely excused on this front. Perhaps it's something that no show that lasts more than a few seasons can avoid.

I always wondered why shows did this to characters has there ever been a show that has done it and it made the shower funnier/more interesting?

actually re watching KOTH

>what a great show
i hear it got cancelled coz of family guy

kys

He was once a parody of the catchphrase spouting jackass, but after the reboot he became that.

It's the only way to keep you retards watching, by making the characters into dumbed down versions of themselves.
Simpsons did it, Family guy did it, South Park did it, King of the Hill did it.

Seeing what happened to Simpsons, Family Guy etc. just makes me appreciate KOTH more.

Was good from start to finish.

It's a problem with long running shows that don't have a flowing storyline.

You can't keep repeating the same jokes but it's hard to come up with new jokes when characters don't grow or change.

The easy answer? Do the same jokes you did before that worked but take them to the next level!

Alternatively, set the characters personality and jokes at a fixes level so you can play their established running jokes off of another characters running joke.

Why are TV shows allowed to run for years and years after their writers stopped giving all fucks?

$$$ and fans who won't let a series die with grace.

Futurama could have ended on a massive high, instead it ended on a 'meh'

KotH is one of the few which ended at just the right point, even if it was cancelled rather than naturally ending

Win should Futurama have ended?

honestly it should never have been rebooted

It was painful in Archer. I love the show, but they pretty much stopped adding new jokes after season 2.

The movies should have never been made. It was already getting stale at that point.

The series after that started having writers put pet politics in or storylines where they tried to show how smart they are and I just stopped enjoying it.

>he likes hanging out with retards

Man, you need to re-think your life.

I disagree Luanne became insufferable towards the end she became really dumb down and just plain annoying especially the episode were lucky was suing Hank so that she could have a perfect wedding

I agree. In the first few seasons she was just ditsy, not a full blown retard.