Can we have a slowcore thread? Easily one of the best things to come out of the 90s...

Can we have a slowcore thread? Easily one of the best things to come out of the 90s. What are some of you guys' favorite bands/records in the genre? Anything good coming down the pipe you'd like to share?

Other urls found in this thread:

open.spotify.com/user/wichoagc/playlist/0mHFg0wdXietHcnZYmOupi
youtube.com/watch?v=w2IPLzBRxTg
mega.nz/#F!wodxzS5A!VzxfDCeTzI0gds1sWixwQA
youtube.com/watch?v=RCJ8Qq6A8mk
youtube.com/watch?v=j2h7S5TbqCk
youtube.com/watch?v=o3aTrG5W6m8
youtu.be/GeDQ-BM_MaI
rateyourmusic.com/collection/ailurus/strm_h,ss.l.r/slowcore
youtube.com/watch?v=QSM6zclasbU
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I made this playlist if anyone's interested

open.spotify.com/user/wichoagc/playlist/0mHFg0wdXietHcnZYmOupi

Frigid Stars
DCH
Bedheaded
Stratosphere

I feel like Songs: Ohia doesn't get mentioned alongside slowcore enough, but pic related and Didn't It Rain absolutely fit inside the bounds of the genre and are fantastic.

Check out Pic related

also Rivulets latest album has a very rollercoaster vibe to it

youtube.com/watch?v=w2IPLzBRxTg

havent checked out this band in forever. thanks for reminding me user

Things We Lost in the Fire is one of my favorites by Low, I love that band
I'm basically in a Low cover band at this point

Obligatory Blue Rogue dump link
mega.nz/#F!wodxzS5A!VzxfDCeTzI0gds1sWixwQA

Over 150 albums ranging from genre essentials to literallywho

More like snoozecore.

obligatory
love this band/drug

I never see it mentioned much on here, but I think pic related is their best effort.

Do You Know How To Waltz is sublime.

Only band I've ever found that can communicate pure crushing depression and despair into music
Other bands can fuck you over with relatable feels about nogf or even about living with depression but only Codeine puts you right into the last ten minutes of a suicidal man's life as he prepares to end it all violently.

Have you ever listened to The Angelic Process

also if you like Codeine, check out the new 40 watt sun album, it's very Codeinish

I love that song, top three Low songs for me, along with Lullaby and Medicine Magazines

bless up for matt elliott

Lullaby is pure Lowkino
Lowkey tho what the fuck is mimi on about with medicine in magazines, does medicine come in magazines in Minnesota or some shit?

I actually call it Snoozegaze but I mean it like a good thing

Galaxie 500 is snoozegaze

I listened to Geek the Girl but I didn't get it
Do I have to have a vagina (female) to understand it?

It's about like Cancer Hospital waiting rooms, where you get chemo, how they have magazines and give you a ton of medicine, but it won't fix the inevitable.

Damn I'm a fucking retard
Thanks man, great album nevertheless, Embrace and Closer are both top ten Low songs

Basically nothing has captured pure listless melancholy quite like this one.

I love tons of other slowcore stuff, but I feel like this is basically the apotheosis of the genre. It took a few listens to really get, but once it hit goddamn did it hit. It just moves and builds and even stagnates at all the right times.

I don't think you do (I mean I was able to get a lot out of it), but it does seem to touch on a lot of insecurities or sources of despair that are more associated with femininity. Which isn't to suggest those things are only felt by women, but I think it does explain a bit why her music in general doesn't resonate as much around here as someone like Mark Kozelek does.

No problem. it's definitely a severely underrated album.

>I fell down the stairs, i wish i were dead

I like how all the albums posted thus far are pretty much all 10/10's for me.

Why is this genre so fucking good and why does basically nobody know about it?

Slowcore can't really be done in an offensively bad way imo, the worst it can be is boring.

yes slowcore can be bad, it's called emo.

I think it has to do with alot of girl insecurities and detrimental behavior that becomes of such things

Like Cry Wolf is about having sex with boys to fit it, and she starts to have regrets and thoughts of how she is probably being sexually assaulted by these men

Anywho here is Mark Kozelek completely burying Lisa Germano (probably cuz he wanted to sleep with her and she denied her) at 4:07

youtube.com/watch?v=RCJ8Qq6A8mk

Well, it can be bad when hipsters get a hold of it

youtube.com/watch?v=j2h7S5TbqCk

Those fucking vocals

I think the Marky Mark comparison is pretty apt: Mark makes music that really resonates with awkward and slightly depressed men in their 20s who don't vibe with getting older and are just successful enough in love to have gotten it but not successful enough to not lose it because he was one, while Germano makes music for awkward girls who have been taken advantage of by predator people but who still, somewhat naively, has hope for the future even if it might end in tears, because she was that girl.

HOLY FUCK LISA BTFO
HOW THE FUCK WILL SHE EVER RECOVER FROM /OURGUY/ BANTSING HER THE FUCK OUT?

Kek, i don't think she did cuz she hasn't released an album in awhile.

Mr. Gira dropped her from Young God i think

That was some savagery

Can music even get more boring than this

Damn man those vocals
It's okay if you sound like this but just damn nigga mix your vocals lower

I honestly wouldn't pay that much mind to that. We know Mark can be kind of an ass when he's speaking off the cuff like that. I just think that "juvenile" quality he's referring to seems to be more of deliberate kind of feeling she's exploring rather than any actual emotional immaturity on her part.

Again, not to get to tumblr-ey, but I do think that can be a difficult album for guys to understand, especially someone like Mark, who despite his sensitivity still speaks from a very masculine point of view.

I mean overall he is definitely a better songwriter though.

Why is he so fucking whiny

I feel like Mark puts a lot of stock into artistic growth, it's fairly evident that with each album of his he's growing and trying new things and new thoughts and new emotions out, even up to this day. That isn't to say that Germano's music is crap or whatever, just that their two artistic personalities don't really go well together.

what the fuck is this John Green-Slowcore bullshit

its when hipsters listen to, too much tumblr slowcore

don't die beautiful thread

Any more essential walking down the beach with a girl you know you will have to leave soon-core?

One last sad bump for /slow/

Not too knowledgable on the goods and bads of slowcore, but I stumbled upon a group called early day miners a bit ago. Anyone know of them or whether they ever produced anything decent?

hey guys SLOW IT DOWN you're posting too fast lol

Let Us Garlands Bring is top 10 /slow/ for me, BEAUTIFUL string arrangements. Haven't really fallen in love with much of their other stuff though. They have a tendency to meander and there are some parts of songs that drag on for a good minute longer than they should. They even made an entire album-length remake of one song that I already thought was a little overlong (Offshore; song's still great, though)

My favorite song of theirs is the closer from LUGB, A Common Wealth
youtube.com/watch?v=o3aTrG5W6m8

Guys, if you didn't know, the new album by The New Year comes out in two days.

Absolutely agree. This album is fantastic.

>kozelek is a Polish last name
Holy... it all makes sense now

IT'S OUR DUTY

AS WE'RE RESPECTED

WE KNOW WHO YOU ARE

Does mark have an orgasm at the end of Blindfold

I've noticed Sup Forums hasn't been talking about this album for a couple months. Makes sense though. It doesn't fit the current season too much.

Nice bait.

Thanks, I'll check that out. Yeah, I listened to a couple more tracks this morning and that was my main critique. I was ready to end the song about a minute or so before it ended.

You guys need to listen to the new Planning For Burial if you like crossover slowcore. Better than Desideratum, which a lot of people seemed to enjoy.

yes yes yes, absolutely incredible artist

the album Magnolia Electric Co is absolutely gorgeous

I
READ
YOUR
PALM
WHILE
YOU
WERE
SLEEPING

>captcha
holy....

oops, forgot image

It's a perfect record. Discussion's dropped off because Sup Forums rubberbanded, and people here despise consensus.

>HE'S NOT LIKE THE OTHER BOYS AROUND HERE
>HE SAYS NOTHING AND SITS IN HIS ROOM
>AND HE'S AFRAID TO DRIVE A CAR

Strawberry Hill hits a little too close to home...

>The part of the chorus when Mark starts saying It's our.. and the crowd of voices come in and he doesn't even finish the line, It's like he is so overwhelmed with emotion and shock when the voices come in, maybe not feeling so alone anymore in such a lonely song

Our time is passing, old friend...

Liner from Bluetile Lounge is fantastic album

agree. its a 10/10 for me as well.

What's the difference between Slowcore and Sadcore? I've heard a lot of Slowcore but no Sadcore, is there a huge difference or no? Because the term has been used interchangebly

They're both terms from around the same time to describe the same bands. However, arguably sadcore isn't always slow and slowcore isn't always sad.

Pretty nitpicky, though.

that fuckign part.......god damnit it hurts

I love Low

youtu.be/GeDQ-BM_MaI

Super underrated

Are Low's later efforts worth listening to? I always assumed that they adopted a poppier sound that I probably wouldn't enjoy as much.

They're really great up to Things We Lost in the Fire. They're almost like a different band afterward.

rateyourmusic.com/collection/ailurus/strm_h,ss.l.r/slowcore

drone me pls

>FemMark will never take you on a date to Panera
WHERE HAVE ALL THE PEOPLE GONE

I'd add you but we're already friends :(

>TFW female koz will never degrade me verbally, then morn my death when I die in a aerosol explosion

>you will never come home to FemMark and catch her sickness by the bedside
>you will never embrace FemMark's illness under soft light
>you will never heal FemMark in the sprinkling of the ocean side

stop

I ain't no ones fucking puppet

Didn't It Rain is some of the most terrifyingly honest songwriting I've ever heard. Molina is ridiculously underrated

Great stuff

If you guys fancy some stuff more along the Bark Psychosis glacial route than check out some of Hood's early work, especially the Rustic Houses, Forlong Valleys EP

youtube.com/watch?v=QSM6zclasbU

I think you guys are misunderstanding this song. Or maybe I am, but here's my interpretation.

The character being sung about who spends all his time alone (presumably Mark) LIKES being that way. All of the lyrics are talking about him through the eyes of other people, which he has an issue with. Mark isn't upset about his life, he kind of likes it (he's attested to this in interviews that he lives his dream life etc.) but everyone, especially these outgoing california types of his new home won't allow him to be the way that he is, so they take it upon themselves to violate every bit of solitude he has, and expose all of the privacy he clings to, in the hopes of showing him this "new life" that he clearly detests (given how he talks about the drunk girl in the first verse).

The saddest thing about the song is that it's fucking true. Have you ever had "nice" neighbors? who want to talk to you and interact with you, and see what you're up to etc. It's fucking hell. It makes your house a prison when you are as much of an introvert and misanthrope as mark was at this point in his life. The song is really about the death of solitude and privacy, things that he loves, now that he has come to california, which at the time of him writing this song he seems to hate their intrusions.

There's a difference between getting annoyed at people trying to take you out of your comfort zone, and actively "liking" the fact that your comfort zone is so limited to begin with.

I mean he's clearly not "praising" the Californian's for giving undesired help, but I think it's going too far in the opposite direction to say it's about "privacy". I mean the entire album is about misery and solitude, I think that song is like you said, the pressures and frustrations of having to deal with "nice neighbors" but simultaneously recognizing that they're probably right and your self imposed isolation is degenerative.

I really like Transaction de Novo.

definitely agree, I think the song has a similar message to medicine bottle where the narrator pretty much knows that the girl who he's in love with is right and he really does need to try and work his way out of it as best as he can, but he just can't give up the perverse and degenerative thrill of hiding in the bedroom and looking out from his window and scowling at the houses, he wants to get better but the mental illness makes it hard for him to fully abandon it all.

I'm not misunderstanding.

Being surrounded by people who are convinced that you're not normal, or who think you need some kind of help is guaranteed to make you uneasy, even if you're ultimately comfortable with who are.

Mark wants his relatives not to worry so much about him, but they don't understand how he feels. That's what it's about, that's why >muh feels

I'm coming round to it. love everything else, including live and 92-98 thing but transaction has took a bit longer.

Most people point to WhatFunLifeWas as their best, but I personally think Bedhead got better with each album.

Why do people like Idaho? I listened to Heart of Palm and I unironically could not stand it, I turned it off after like 5 songs because it was just so bad. Whats the appeal?

Try The Lone Gunman. It's a little more experimental.

If you haven't listen to The New Year it's either one of or both the guys from bedhead

They got a little poppier and warmer with Things We Lost in the Fire, which many agree is their best album. Depending on the album they've experimented with post-rock, noisy rock, electronics, folk, and straight dream pop.

They really haven't produced a bad record. Just a series of good to great ones.

yeah I rate beheaded over whatfunlifewas so I'll be giving transaction a few more spins

I love The New Year. They similarly got better with each release in my opinion. Just two more days until their new album.

Haywire by bedhead is such a monster song, also it has the same strumming pattern are in the aeroplane over the sea

Eh, this chart is in need of some changes.

Meant to refer to this