I appreciate it, but i dont get it

i appreciate it, but i dont get it

WL/WH is better, but still not as mindblowing as people make this band out to be

ok

what makes it good, is i guess what im asking besides influence and originality. whats the aesthetic im supposed to find?

rough around the edge lo-fi sound, with moments of beauty like i'll be your mirror to the noisy screeches of european son

It's a lot more along the lines of it's posterity. People heard this music and thought "hey, I could do this too", a thought process that would evolve stuff like glam rock, punk, new wave, electronic, etc. In many ways, what it helped create is bigger and better than the album itself.

Personally I dig the sound, but at the same time I totally understand someone not getting into it.

Venus In Furs by itself worth the album

If who ever put heroin on the album decided it was a good idea it would be the best album in existance

wanna try again?

hmmm... i want to get rid of all music ever

imo it's a lot to expect an album that came out fifty years ago and directly influenced many major subgenres of underground music to still sound "mindblowing" to contemporary ears that have stuff like mbv or death grips or whatever...i think when people talk that way it's with historical context in mind, thinking of the other stuff that was popular at this time and how different this sounded

that said, i think their releases hold up well for many reasons, but one quality about this one that holds up well is that the detuning and cale's violin give it this very particular paranoid ominous kind of sound, very different from most other albums that go for a "drone" or "lo-fi" aesthetic, while still having a really strong sense of pop melody

Femme Fatale is a terrible song

White Light/White Heat is a 10.

"the gift" wears thin real fast though...don't you think?

the gift is the best song on the album friend, 2 of the songs are filler. It cannot possibly be a 10.

Not for me. And even if it did for you, you can literally just pull out the earbud with the story.

They're not filler.

how do you listen to "waldo jeffers had reached his limit." more than maybe twice and not want to punch cale in the face

I nominate "here she comes now" as best song, but I accept any of the latter three

>implying an album with 6 songs has any filler songs
>implying side B isn't better than side A (the one that has the gift on it)

it has filler songs lol
the only good songs on it are WLWH, gift, sister ray and lady godiva's operation. Now, these are all amazing songs, but the other 2 are filler and aren't interesting at all. What's especially impressive or distinct about them?

my friend if you think the length of an album affects how much filler it has you are wrong

Here she comes now is a transition song. Like just something to clear your mind before the second best song on the album, heard her call my name, which shouldn't even need an explanation as to why it's not filler.

>transition song to clear your mind
sounds like an elaborate way to call something filler to me

>second best song

why? convince me

>pull out the earbud with the story
>the earbud

here's your (You)
gift and lady godiva's operation try too hard to be experimental and end up being annoying. being distinct != being good
whereas the others are VU in straight "let's write good songs" mode. here she comes now is super pretty and the guitar line is proto-"pale blue eyes"; i heard her call my name has them coaxing crazy screechy sounds out of their amps that still sound unusual today

i object to "here she comes now" being called transition...it feels that way, yes, because it's surrounded by all these bloated dronefests

>try too hard to be experimental and end up being annoying

uhhh how so?

>Citing s/t to back up your point
the worst album they put out is not going to convince me.

>bloated dronefests

lol

the gift is a deadpan story recited in one channel with rock music in the other for eight minutes. the story is unremarkable, relying pretty much solely on cheap suspense and shock value, and boring after you hear it once, which makes the whole thing unlistenable

lady godiva's operation is okay but the "experimental" part of cale not saying words and lou jumping in out of time to say them (even by his standards) is also kind of a drag

I mean if you don't think lou's characteristic slides of those sixths which he does on pale blue eyes and here she comes now sound pretty or at least idiosyncratic then...whatev

>deadpan = bad
>story is unremarkable
>boring after you hear it once

wow imagine being this wrong. The whole story is about indifference. Waldo is indifferent to his girl's true feelings, the girl is indifferent to his, her lover is indifferent to her feelings and her friend is indifferent to the package. It's a masterclass in short story writing actually. Also the double entendre "rough hands gripped his package" makes me laugh every single time. There's nothing boring about this story unless you're some plebeian who can't enjoy a good piece of literature.

The operation is good and interesting, and the material is subversive. Furthermore I just think the words part is kinda fun to listen to, it doesn't have to be a big thing.

I don't like pale blue eyes, no. Kinda the only songs I like on that album are murder mystery and candy says. Pale blue eyes is unremarkable, friend, and I can play it on piano but it's not that pretty sounding IMO

you can't play it on a piano because it has slides and pitch bends and percussion and voices and timbres that are not piano timbres

I apologize but your analysis of the story is incredibly un-stimulating to me. "indifference"...lovers are indifferent to each other, yes, that fascinating and unique literary quality that has never been done before countless times and in ways that don't cheapen its thematic impact by including juvenile stuff like double entendres and descriptions of some dude's head being violently split open in a mail box like some bad slasher flick

>implying it was done to death before

you should really learn your music history. It might not seem all that groundbreaking now. Do you know why it's not groundbreaking now? Oh yeah, because TVU made it a huge theme in their music and are the most influential band of the last half century. Smh

and you're being reductionist, it's about ALL kinds of bourgeois indifference, from narration to the death it's a cruel story of nihilism.

learn to /lit/ pleb

now you're just moving the goalposts. poster clearly said "a good piece of literature" and we are talking about the literary merit of the lyrics/story.

oh now you're being boring...i was having fun