When I go to create a world and scroll down to "Server Mode" it says "Online," and clicking it doesn't change to LAN

When I go to create a world and scroll down to "Server Mode" it says "Online," and clicking it doesn't change to LAN.
Anyone know how to resolve this?
What other problems are people facing in-game besides lag? I feel like that issue can be fixed if only we had the option to make it in the first place!

tl;dr; OP is retarded and needs help.

shameless self bump

gimme a minute, I'll bring it up and have a look but the client is updating

Thank you kindly, user!

Have a cute Wigfrid!

so: I think what's happening, is that 'online' just means klei is aware of the game. it does not mean it's hosted on their servers.

I know if you choose friends/lan online games, they're hosted by the person who creates the world. I believe if you choose 'public' when you create it, it's still hosted on your machine.

if you create a lan-only game, you'll get great pings from other people on your lan regardless of whether it says 'online' below.

hrm
I guess that makes sense. I'm not sure how reliable that is but that's more than I've gotten from anywhere else.
I've even tried starting this thing in offline mode but I was certain I was doing something wrong. Klei forums don't seem to have answers, and I think it would stand to reason that's because they have nothing to do with hosting the game like you said?

The main goal here is to get this working with Hamachi.

Thanks for your help! I'll fiddle around with it some more!

no worries user.

as supporting evidence: if all the servers were actually hosted by klei, the ping column would be unnecessary for browsing games because they'd all be in one of a few locations.

Are you using the dedicated server?

No I'm not using a dedicated server...
Would that make much of a difference?

Also I know this may not be the most interesting thread on Sup Forums right now but again, really appreciate you takin' the time to help me!

>Would that make much of a difference?
probably not too much of a difference tbh, but if people are asking game server configuration they're often trying to do something less common, like set up standalone headless servers or similar. if you're just playing the game it wont give you any advantages.

if you're trying to use it over a vpn, I'd mostly just pick a vpn endpoint near you to minimise the ping issues with people you're playing against. you don't need data to be routed from US -> sweden if everybody else playing is in the US.

>really appreciate you takin' the time to help me!
glad to help, I spend a few nights a week on DST

lol just looked up hamachis features, you can ignore my vpn comments - it's a different beast to what I was thinking

lol all good!

so can't specifically help with hamachi, but if it comes down to wanting to make sure your data is being routed over the vpn, break out wireshark and just have a look at where the packets are going.

Alright I'll check that, it might be better than what I'm currently doing:
So for lag, there's a command that removes the stuttering/rubberbanding and replaces it with delay instead, which (I think) is typically better if the connection isn't super good. I don't remember it but there's also a mod on the workshop that always enables it by default if you're too lazy to search for it like I am.
Not sure if that's really effective but hey, I'm doing what I can

explain simply what the fuck youre trying to do and whats the problem. i cant understand this convoluted thread.

btw dst is a great game for those that havent played it.

as far as I can tell, OP is trying to:
>locally host a DST server
>have all data routed over VPN rather than open internet to other players
>using hitachi for the vpn
>experiencing lag issues

never used hitachi so I don't know how they do things. if their VPN creates p2p connections between you and the other players, that's great. if it routes it all through their servers, that's a potential cause of lag. again, using wireshark and traceroute can figure that out.

If it turns out to be the problem, set up a vpn server on the machine hosting the game and set up accounts for anybody you need to have access. make sure you're doing the hosting from the player with the best connection.

>be me
>Open DST
>Wanna host game to play with my fag friends online
>Concerned about lag
>Have Hamachi installed and know what it's used for
>BrightIdea.png
>About to create a world
>Choose "Cooperative" Because I'm a pussy and don't like friendly fire
>Scroll down the options to where it says "Server Mode"
>Shows that I'll create my server in "Online" mode
>I ain't havin' that shit
>Clicking it doesn't change to LAN
>wtf i hate dont starve now
>Create thread on 4chin and beg for help
>Continue to suck more cocks because OP

I hope I cleared up any confusion, friend! :^)

just host a game and dont use hamachi. hamachi doesnt help you with lag you dumb fuck. if the bytes are leaving your router to go to you faggot friend's router, bytes still need to be transferred whether or not the program thinks its lan or not.

hamachi is for games that either dont support online mode but do support lan or youre a dumb fuck and you dont know how to port forward.

your name isnt alex by any chance is it?

Why are you green texting and sharing pictures like they were "internet points" in a help thread, user? Just makes you look like a redditor. I do love this game though, good luck with your server problems it took me an hour to set my old one up initially.

this

I assumed the vpn was for privacy reasons. if you've put it in place for lag reasons, you're probably making things worse.

nope, sorry user

thats too bad. you remind me of this retarded CS major at my school. constantly convolutes the conversation by throwing in all kinds of random buzzwords that barely apply, probably to show off how le smert he is.

>VPN creates p2p connections between you and the other players
>using wireshark and traceroute
lol go fuck yourself.

I'm probably just a dumb fuck, and I've already said this

the other user wanted me to explain so I started green texting.
I really like Wigfrid so why not post her? Images make threads colorful and deceivingly interesting so I don't see a reason not to. At least I'm not using a handle

ALSO fuck reddit

Dumbass. Vpn can help get around isp throttling. Stop talking out your ass faget

I'm pretty drunk famn,

you have an ISP that throttles games but not VPN?

dedicated you mean? i fucking hate all steam servers. they require you to install steam and have huge laggy server programs.

hes talking about vpn overhead.
and if you have an isp thats throttling you based on the content of data, you need a new isp. but what youre saying doesnt (shouldnt) apply here

how do i kill that huge ice monster that comes during winter? dude kills me every time.

you don't, you set up a backup camp ahead of time and run the fuck away.

he'll walk around for a few days and smash your camp up but then leave.

not the answer i wanted. you can kill him pretty easily if you have blow darts, but i dont know how to farm blow darts well.

I want more cosmetics!!