uhh....

>buying music

topkek

Where does Sup Forums what to music?

why don't you like owning your music?

What the fuck is this guy talking about

when you steal something you own it - thats the whole point of stealing it

I don't.

Does Paul have the rights to the Beatles music back yet? Last I heard it was split between Michael Jackson's estate and Sony or something. When Paul gets the rights back, I'll buy a fresh copy of the White Album and Sergeant Pepper.

pay me and ill tell you

>2017
>where does Sup Forums buy music from
>buy music from
>buy music
>buy

There's a Discount Music Shop in town that sells CDs for a few pounds. You can usually pick up 2 or 3 for £5.

I sometimes go in and pick up a few of the CDs that I should've bought when they came out.

I never listen to them, but I do like having shelves of CDs.

how about supporting the artists?

It's 2017, making music isnt expensive anymore
>But I love XYZ
yeah, me too, so I go to a fucking concert

>buy music
No
>supporting the artist
Im sure the proportionate of half my paycheck to a second of their income isn't hurting them too bad

What shekel leaking shepherd led you weirdos to Sup Forums?

wat dis buy op spik of naw? iz dis englandish for download?

its just a question, dont get your panties in a bunch.

>Does Paul have the rights to the Beatles music back yet?
They're going to revert back soom

I came here to make a joke about buying music in the current year but it's already been done. There's something wrong with you if you're still buying music.

I don't, you fucking autist.
I find what I like on spotify or youtube, then either pirate it or do a youtube rip

Spotify+Soundcloud covers almost everything.

rude

ITT: millennials who've never sat through a whole album in their entire wasted lives.

right? the art of the album has died because of these little fuckers.

>only allows one answer
>doesn't include physical media
Bandcamp is the only place I buy digital downloads, which I rarely do because it's only data. If I pay for music, which I often do, I want the whole package, and the sustainability of separate, copyable media.
For physical copies I usually buy from local music shops or as close to the bands as possible.
I support file sharing, because the industry is a rotten hydra that is way past it's prime. The record industry clings to imaginary numbers that never existed in the first place. Albums has always been, and will always be, promotional material for shows. And at this day and age, there is 0 need for record companies to distribute or produce your music into physical form. It's cheaper, more liberating, and infinitely more rewarding to record and produce stuff on your own. You don't need the backing of a company.

Never bought any music, videos, or books since 2007. All money now goes into savings. Hard drives are almost over flowing.

www.ebook3000.com
www.ovagames.com
dvdvideosoft.com/products/dvd/Free-YouTube-to-MP3-Converter.htm

Artists only record music so they have something to play live at gigs.

They can clear tens to several hundred thousand a night if they are popular. Far better business than a couple of dollars a copy for an album

>Albums has always been, and will always be, promotional material for shows.

not always. albums were pieces of work and not promotional material for over 30 years. the internet has changed that, though.

Google play is like all the other music streaming apps combined and better. I dont get why everyone hates it.

>implying recorded media is the service artists sell
>not shows
I get your point, but all you're arguing for is to keep the record industry alive, which is bullshit since it's not needed, and is ruining music more than anything else. I both pay and pirate shit, but in the end I've showered my favourites with more money than anyone I know. Piracy has done WONDERS for reach and availability of independent artists' music.

Wrong. Albums have always been the income for record companies, not the artists. The incentive for artists to create records was, and has always been, to attract people to their shows. You're not in the music business, right?

>A couple of dollars a copy for an album
No artist in the world makes a whole dollar for every sold record, unless they release it themselves.
>top payed global artists make about 5 cents of every sold record
>this is to be split over the band
>this means selling gold is basically no money what so ever, considering the time it takes for most albums to reach that level of sales

for the longest time, at least in the rock world, bands would record an album as a piece of work, then they'd go on tour to help sell it. touring was promotion, not the album.

shit, look at guys like the beatles and steely dan. they didn't tour for years while putting out their best work.

>Albums has always been, and will always be, promotional material for shows.
Newsflash: recorded music didn't begin with Napster.

that's not true. most major label deals are a 85/15 split in favor of the record label after the artist passes a threshold. indie labels are usually 50/50.

5 cents straight off the bat is a lie, though. not sure where you got this info.

Dipshit, this goes back to the 30's.
Artists have *never* made a living off of record sales. Unless you're Michael Jackson, but in that case he made 100s of times more from touring and merch sales.

hahahahaha

news to millenials

>buy
What does this word even mean? If something can be digitized, it is free for all to share.

>The incentive for artists to create records was, and has always been, to attract people to their shows.
No, that's the business model artists had to settle for as a result of downloading. Before then, albums could sell millions or even tens of millions of copies. They were the main earnings stream for nearly every recording artist. Touring was a way of promoting albums, not the other way around.

Guessing you're under 20 years old.

>using a program to convert mp3s from youtube

>mp3fiber.com/

cheap fuck here
amazon prime is good for streaming music you may only want to listen to once
I also check out cd's from the public library and rip them to my hard rive
i wont buy used cd's from just anyone on ebay, but i do buy new old stock cd's from a seller i've come to trust for a few bucks each - mostly older stuff though
last resort if i really want a cd i'll just fucking pay full price at (wherever)

The 85/15 split is before everything is settled, including recording investment etc.

>not sure where you got this info
Been working in the music industry for 10 years, family in the music industry for 70 years and connections to large scale producers, including their connections. I've personally seen the contracts of several, 15 minutes of fame, run of the mill, pop artists that had deals with global record companies.

as a professional in music,

you are dumb
you are really dumb

you're clueless. percentages have never been big, but artists always made good money off of albums that sold well. especially in the 70s. that's when album sales AND touring was very profitable.

I just use YouTube.

You guys will literally argue over anything.

>download album
>listen to album as album
>same exact experience as putting in a cd
>except you still have money

>The 85/15 split is before everything is settled, including recording investment etc.

that's my point. after the artist reaches the threshold, the percentage kicks in. either way, your 5 cents a download is B U L L S H I T.

>as a professional in music,
lel shut up fag

>doesn't understand most people listen to single songs, and albums on shuffle
>doesn't understand how its different from listening to an album from start to finish

I don't give a flying fuck what most people do. I listen to all the tracks on an album and move the ones I like onto my mp3 player.

>pink floyd
>the wall
>shuffle

I would be a wonder to be under 30 and have worked 10 years in the music business, but sure, what ever you say.
The "tens of millions of copies" are the 0.1% elite, and there are still artists that do this.
These artists never made substantial amounts of money off of those sales regardless.
Money in the music industry is skyrocketing, anyone saying otherwise doesn't know what the fuck they're talking about. It's more diverse now, with MORE artists reaching an audience, MORE people can make a living off of their music, and MORE money is going to the artists. These are facts. And that's coming from someone working in the very industry you're saying is dying because of spoiled milenials, so you can have a scapegoat to blame for not liking current pop music. What's *slowly* dying is record companies, which in this day and age are obsolete. The reason you hear that the music industry is dying is because these middle men are losing their footing, and have managed to fuck over artists enough that they believe it themselves without even checking the statistics. (See: Metallica)

>have worked 10 years in the music business

So, since 2007. I rest my case.

>reported

I've personally looked at three contracts where, globally exported, acts were given 0,5 SEK (roughly 6 US cents) for every sale to be distributed among the group (in 2 cases 4 people, in 1 case 1 singular person). This is after the record company payed session musicians, recording engineers, mixing, mastering, production and accommodation during the recording sessions. 1 of the groups was also contractually obligated to tour extensively for 1 year, although only 10% of that income was to go to the record company.
This is shit-pop though, which has been the main fuck-you-over-factory for years, but still.
Sweden generally doesn't pay their artists less, neither was this from a Swedish label.

>implying one has no recollection of music before this
>implying I'm not working with people that have been in the business longer
You sure have merits to back up your claims dude.
>hurr durr, my beloved music industry is dying
>you've probably listened to 10 times more music you like today than you did 20 years ago

People actually by music? Well that's sad

>The "tens of millions of copies" are the 0.1% elite
And that was the goal most artists were aiming for. Before downloading, all the money was in album sales. Singles and touring were just ways to get your album noticed.

In fact tours habitually lost money, especially in the case of big-name artists, who put on the most extravagant shows. Record companies saw them as a loss-leader to drum up interest in the current album.

well said

Yes thats how record companies saw them... because they couldnt hook into as much of the profit. You just explained the point - record companies made money selling records, artists made money doing live shows. Been that way since everyone thought gramophones worked by dark sorcery.

no.

albums were THE product. touring and singles were promotional tools. that's the way it was starting from the late 60s to the late 90s.

Goals doesn't make artists reach this. The playing field is more level, with more people being able to live off of their music today, both in actual numbers, and in market shares.
Tours habitually lost money, yet artists were forced to record media they hardly saw any money from. The music industry has always been, but was more so, an industry with fake promises and a glamorized shine given to the public. People stayed because a. music was all they could do, or b. because they truly loved the art. Music is a business where you can get rich and famous, but only if you're the absolute elite. I don't know if you have any clue how many bands and artists exist, and have existed, that never got any kind of recognition what so ever. This has always been the majority, and will always be. The difference today is that you don't need others to believe in your marketability to have you reach a niche market, or even create one yourself. The only way to make money is to sell something that cannot be discarded. You're an entertainer, not a producer of goods.

>from the record companies perspective

facepalm.jpg

>corporate shill
>doesn't back up claims

>I never listen to them, but I do like having shelves of CDs.

This is what's wrong with society

from everyone's perspective you retard. albums were the only thing that mattered. everything else was done to support the album.

From the band

Adults who can't spell, also sad.

Torrent.

youtube video downloader site and then file converter site, burn to cd for the car

I was going to say the same thing. Hell, you can download an entire discography and listen to every record, in order. Even musicfags can download it in FLAC for their sensitive ears.

Heh, not quite. I've back to backed plenty of FLAC albums against CD's, nothing wrong with FLAC but PC's are a shitty shitty source for music.

I saw this same thread yesterday.
metal-tracker.com
rutracker.org
extratorrent.cc
and I use Qbittorrent

yup.

I never seen so much autism in one thread before.
Steal it
Sync it to a USB device or burn it to a fucking disc
Done
With out all the extra fucking steps and work
BTW all while hiding behind 7 proxies, a vpn and stealing other things I want, just because I can.