/daily/ - Dark and Stormy edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>templates/listenalong schedules
dailymu-sic.weebly.com/

>discord
discord.gg/8exuEmG

Previously, on /daily/:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма_казма/пляски_трубадуров/
rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/bob-dylan/blood-on-the-tracks-new-york-sessions/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nikhil_banerjee/afternoon_ragas__bhimpalasri__multani/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/komeda-quintet/astigmatic/
nicolascollins.com/texts/brokenlightscore.pdf
nicolascollins.com/darkandstormytracks.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>not it was a dark and stormy thread

regardless I approve of using the album

>Torts - Dachau Blues
FUCK OFF.

>:|

those poor jews

:(

Idea:

Co won't be able to update the /daily/core chart from now on, and about half of the users on that chart rarely visit here anyways.

So I think it's high time we make a new /daily/core chart. I'd be more than willing to make the chart, and will happily add/remove albums as requested. The only two rules are

>three releases only
>you're not allowed to have the same album as anyone before you

If you've posted in the last month and you're on this chart I'll just be adding the same albums back on again, unless you want me to change it. If you're not on this I'll be happy to add you. Similarly, if you want out that's easy too.

I'll probably just keep the same top /daily/core albums, unless people REALLY want to add something else.

is this poseurcore

Weak edit nothing clever about it its just sticking daily on it
Then again a decent amount of op pics are just that

How about.... remove my albums

You can add me

松岡直也- 夏の旅
Suffocate For Fuck Sake - Blazing Fires (etc. etc.)
Ulver - Teachings In Silence

>Using my tourney rec for the OP

This is promising

>top /daily/core albums
ismfof - it was a dark and stormy night

yeh

okay

k

Anyone have a blank May 2017 chart? I don't know how to make them.

Replace that Dr. John album with the Kazma Kazma meme album ( rateyourmusic.com/release/album/казма_казма/пляски_трубадуров/

That'd be totally tubular, thanks

why does everybody in /daily/ have such bad taste in jazz?

it's called /daily/ not /jazzy/

Цyкop Бiлa Cмepть - Maнipнa мyзикa

1.5/5

God damn this album was unpleasant, and not in a good way
I mostly just wanted it to end

which ones do you enjoy that they do not?

because jazz is a bad genre duh

>Jim O'Rourke - Eureka
>Six Organs of Admittance - Dark Noontide
>The Micrphones - Mount Eerie

gotchya

ya can't use top /daily/core buddy boi

Ok
>Hussing Fauna
>DNotD
>Starsailor

ok replace it with Nicolas Collins - It Was a Dark and Stormy Night

You're more of a boobs guy?

no clue what the second one is but it shall be done

kkkk

I actually stronglyh prefer ass but if this is what ass sounds like then I maybe have to rethink my decision

hmm, let's change Feldman to Placebo - Meds

yea add me
today is the day - willpower
doopees - doopee time
if herb guy isnt added, stgstv
if he is, structures from silence
for /daily/core (based on my short time being here) i think its worth considering dj screw, forca bruta, it was a dark and stormy night

Jorge Ben's Forca Bruta should probably be /daily/core at this point desu so I'll pick other albums pic related, titles are all conveniently on the covers

>I can’t tell if it’s utterly brilliant or complete and total garbage.
that basically sums up the album lol. once i realized how fucking awesome ny avenue bridge, edge of the ape oven and solid gold tooth are, everything else just kinda clicked. now its one of my favorites.

herb guy still posts from time to time
will do

Might do DJ Screw, but Dark and Stormy Night isn't nearly as universal.

Okay sure. What do you think it should replace?

Actually, swap Fly, Fly My Sadness for Daikanjyo. Yeah.

>Okay sure. What do you think it should replace?

No idea. We should have like a vote or something for what the official /daily/core is for the next chart instead of just rehashing the old stuff.

>Boredoms - Super æ
>Can - Future Days
>Fela Kuti - Expensive Shit

>Placebo - Meds
will do

Dogwander already claims that. Unless he forfeits it ya can't have it.

now that I think about it, it should probably also be /daily/core at this point like heck look at those ratings

gotchya

The men of minutes

I think multiple people already said they'd do this, but...

rateyourmusic.com/release/unauth/bob-dylan/blood-on-the-tracks-new-york-sessions/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/nikhil_banerjee/afternoon_ragas__bhimpalasri__multani/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/komeda-quintet/astigmatic/

Thank you, I'M FISH! The new co.

>Placebo - Meds

why

I'll figure out top /daily/core later after stuff gets individually figured out, but for now it's as it stays. Not that I disagree with you it's just easier.

Will do

literally a nazi

should deffo be dailycore

i mean that fucking 8+9 one is in dailycore and that was a fotm thing
daikanjyo is a no-brainer

cause it's one of my favourite albums currently?
I was deciding between this and A Place For Us To Dream

btw I also checked out Evanescence because the question mark said it would sound like Placebo, but it was rather disappointing

that was beautiful, rod. I think you will have beat everyone by a week.

You don't like death metal?

apparently not

put talk talk - laughing stock over obscura if laughing stock is not taken by anyone else, otherwise keep it the same

any1 else here into "memes"?

haha yea h

hmm yeah that tesla drugs track i heard so far was p neat

"no"

>Your Infamous Harp - Prah Suomafni Ruoy
>Glitch Pop, Downtempo, D___e, N___e, Chamber Pop

A weird mix of trans and Eric's previous reccs. The small instrumentation and glitchy textures, but with a female vocalist... p sure theyre the same person

Some downtempo influences and cute synths populate the beginnings of this, but in a much more accessible place than Frisk Frugt - Den Europaiske Spejlbue. Less of a microcosm, and more of a magnifying glass: Less of a chaotic fight between coos and samples, but a willing collaboration in creating some actual groovable tunes.

Listening to English vocals (finally) does take a bit of the atmosphere out of the album and reveal the DIY parts of the album. The barer and unmastered vocals contribute to the album's world rather than detract; they acknowledge their winsome with quotes such as "The way to a woman's heart is paid through fresh sandwiches."

The vocals do feel a bit TOO plain at times, PC Music-kind. The spoken word certainly makes it feel like that too. Peach Bush Chop even features rapping, which SOMEHOW work. Probably just because I'm not a hip hop guy.

Small jungle/D&B vignettes appear in a few tracks, Null Sand Manadala being the strongest contender for having the best one. The volume of them aren't too much to overall the small electronic denizens walking past... that is, until the "t w i s t".

Seeing Eric mention a twist got me curious for what exactly could constitute a "twist" in an album already pulling between genres. But yup, it's there. And I wish I could see the look on some people's face when they get to it.

certainly
that is a good meme
yeah they're sorta sporky in the way they kinda disregard song structure and go from cool idea to cool idea

What I don't like so much about the "twist"... it felt kind of cheap. I do commend what comes after it, because the subsequent tracks felt all the more powered by it in instilling real unease. The 18 minute track and subsequent "When Black Keys Eat White" satiated my weekly dose of horror, with some vivid imagery of the events unfolding in the album.

And there's just something about the organic samples and surgery splicing of this album that reminds me of some other big artist, but I can't recall their name...

This album certainly isn't flawless, as no album that sets out to be so wildly diverse can be. But it's definetely something worth experiencing for a /daily/ type of person.

For real, give this a try. Before Eric makes you listen to it anyway.

7/10

>Leonard Collins - It Was a Dark And Stormy Night
>Tape Music, Modern Classical, Spoken Word

The first piece alone, Broken Light, utilizes the sounds of a CD Player and a string section. After a call and response between the CD Player and the string section, the CD is paused, unmuted, looping a few miliseconds of sound and creating a rhythm. VERY reminiscent of Different Trains, but with improvisation taking a focus instead.

Just check out the score for yourself:

nicolascollins.com/texts/brokenlightscore.pdf

Love shit like this. In fact, you can view commentary on each track itself on Collin's website: worth a read if you enjoyed it as much as I do.

nicolascollins.com/darkandstormytracks.htm

The album is actually available in FLAC for free here, what a guy

The second movement of Broken Light loops what I think is woodwind? Really hard to tell with the length of the loops itself. Still, the individiaulism of each string instrument spirals by in turns, while harmonizing themselves with the glitchy stutter of the CD player, trailing in their wake. Keeping in mind that this is mostly improv on the string's behalf, this recorded performance specifically was very strong.

The most chills I've gotten listening to ANYTHING in this tournament, from that composition alone.

Tobabo Fonio sees Collins utilizing self named "trombone propelled electronics." Basically, trombone + custom hard drive = Hella cool drone and noise. The trombone served as a controller for the electronics AND the speaker. He improves upon this idea all the way from 1986 (even after his first trombone gets run over by a taxi); live sampling, a computer filled to the brim with devices of Collin's own choice. The results?

Peruvian brass band music, manipulated like the previous CD Player, but enough to stand for itself. My favorite moment is 5 minutes in, where the feedback slows from percussive noise to tiny stabs of tone.

And then my ears were assaulted by some documentary wtf

Ignoring the OTHER entire essay on 'Backwards Electric Guitar' also used in this piece, two men take turns, narrating the Libretto for an original story based on the famous phrase of its title. Over the powerful guitar, all types of percussion (recognizing cymbal and gong scrapes/taps, temple blocks, shakers, real and fake), full on orchestration, the works, imitate and accompany the narrators of the increasingly complex set of tales and observations from the written narrative. It all becomes more and more lavish until it all goes to nothing, as expected.

As someone that loves surreal works of fiction and art, this was highly enjoyable, save for second narrator's tone that took me a minute to get used to. Gripping throughout the entire album, and well worth some time put aside for it.

9/10

Wool wins a respect +1 token

gg

it was a very good album but wool pulled out the big guns, sorry man

Oh geez you didn't HAVE to listen to that meme-core album I'm sorry for mentioning it

Not really close to done or anything, but here's the first 30 people on /daily/core done without names because that's all topsters allows on one page lol. You'll be added soon enough if you aren't yet. Albums that aren't on the topsters 2 listing are currently the White Album until I can figure out how to replace it and make it look good. Lemme know if I messed up anywhere. Top /daily/core coming soon.

If you want me to change anything in the future just reply to me on here or dm me on RYM.

really excited for the new chart. i'm planning on listening to every album on it like a normal chart, and at the end ranking everyone on it best to worse. also, add me please. my three albums
>The Gerogerigegege - Instruments Disorder
>Sozialistiches Patienten Kollektiv - Leichenschrei
>The Residents - Not Available
i was kinda wanting to just cover a song i picked myself, i didn't really know this was an assigned thing. also i don't particularly know any VU songs :/

wait it's gonna be a bigger image than this right? i'm not sure how co did it his was a lot longer..

>tfw I was going to rec this to you but I was saving it to clinch a win later

wow trying to seriously cover a song is actually tough

C'mon Zane. Pay attention. You got the easiest pick too

why does it need to be bigger
doesn't help that I sound like a 12 yr old boy

Yeah iktf. I'm having trouble replicating owl noises desu

>Not really close to done or anything, but here's the first 30 people on /daily/core done without names because that's all topsters allows on one page lol. You'll be added soon enough if you aren't yet.

So yeah it'll be bigger

>i'm planning on listening to every album on it like a normal chart
This is literally one of the first things I did when I joined /daily/ lololol. If the archive worked still I'd snag the pic. Will add you.

Also, pretty much anything from VU&N would be easy to cover. Sunday Morning in Particular. The Gift would also be pretty easy. Or do Sister Ray for kicks.

>wait it's gonna be a bigger image than this right?
I mean I'm adding more people if that's what you mean.

> i'm not sure how co did it his was a lot longer
If you're talking about size as in like actual picture size then you're wrong. It's nearly 4MB already which is the limit for images on Sup Forums.

>why does it need to be bigger
well because i and probably other people won't be included if it's not
okay was kinda not sure what he meant by that but thanks

oh i thought you meant literally longer and portrait like co's

Richard Abrams - Levels and Degrees of Light
This Heat - S/T
Coil - The Ape of Naples (if that's somehow not daily-core, if it is then Boris - Feedbacker)

If you want (and if it's allowed) I'll switch and you can have the owl noises :^)

hahahaha

nah i was just concerned with everyone (including me) who'd like to be included were to be included

i'll find a random VU song and cover it sometime then
i-im good desu

Niiice, was pretty sure you'd like that one!

>Wool wins a respect +1 token

Thinking about doing a drone or anything like that? Either way, I'm happy I finally won a tourney

Lmao are you practicing?

but that means you can only improve it doesnt it

Lmao no it was just a ruse

BREAKING: WOOLITE WANTS MATERIAL PRIZE! MORE AT 9

hopefully u have the range of a 12 year old boy too
itll help u hit those brian wilson notes

if i may leave a suggestion do Sister Ray, except read dialogue from your favorite h-manga over it

>17 minutes
holy fuck idk man

the bad part is that i don't
my range is like 2.5 octaves and i only sound passable smack in the middle

>thinking you have to sound good for a meme cover project

Though some people are going about this seriously and that's fine, I mostly am looking forward to the more meme-y submissions.

Just pitch it in your favorite daw

hell im going serious and im more excited for the memes lmao
i just dont think you can meme the microphones

Most of it is just jamming, realistically you could cut some of it out

the heck's a drone

I made memes for jangle, trans, and eric as shitty prizes but your meme mileage is very low

Could you or anyone provide me with an idea for a Woolite meme

Here's the second half. Hopefully two more people join because I don't want it to e lopsided :(

If you want the image from your album to be replaced with a specific issue/version for some reason then be sure to let me know.

All in all, the following people were cut due to inactivity
>AnonResident
>Are You Insanity?
>Hey user
>Warm Sofa
>Moregwessor Movenglut
>Ruggles
>moonjacques
>GaussHauss
>Reglob
>Talking Bob Cat
>Yamir (by request)
>sdc
>Mr Rockadopolis
>orz
>Dam's-jans
>Becuz
>Animal Brollective

rest in ripper roo

wait are Benji and TrishAh still around?

it's where you're allowed to listen to an even greater number of the winner's favorite albums!

>>Yamir (by request)

idk but they were never on the chart anyways

I dig that

how many albums we talkin here though

hey pal heres an idea
you know yr /daily/ users list on rym
would it be too much to add everyones 3 favorites on there under the user? so its kinda like a list for /daily/core

No worries it wasn't that bad
I just expected a bit more

ya know that's for sure an idea.

Idk if I'd do images or links to the albums like catalog each one individually, but in a purely text form it sounds like a great idea.

Maybe it could be a separate list too if we wanted to add full albums/images to the list? Idk. It would be cool to see what everyone's average score for the album would be to, which wouldn't be hard to do or anything. I'll think about it after getting this done.

You can put a link to a cover in the search field

don't bullshit him boy, obviously woolite gets the prize of a whole buncha recommendations
i mean otherwise it's totally backwards, isn't it?

No shit, really? Never knew that. Thanks user.

but i don't even know what i would do to be memey
i feel like there's a difference between purposefully bad and successfully memey
this might work actually who knows
a lotta people just wanna hear more opinions abt their favorite albums so drones are fun that way