Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1826

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

www2.gwu.edu/~eall/vjg/08particlewa/08particlewa.html
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#は~が
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cqE_n1PiyChv9Il53Vc_Jj5ztDcY4znsHN8_jdKBY6E/htmlview?hl=en#
kanjitisiki.com/syogako/syogaku6/031.html
kotobank.jp/word/討-579381#E3.83.87.E3.82.B8.E3.82.BF.E3.83.AB.E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.B3.89
kotobank.jp/word/警-488109#E3.83.87.E3.82.B8.E3.82.BF.E3.83.AB.E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.B3.89
youtube.com/watch?v=ez2aD4IUMKM
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#にする
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#呉れる・くれる(2)
uniqlo.com/jp/store/feature/uq/ut/men/
matome.naver.jp/odai/2137351252441379001
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

op, are you the Argentinanon asking about mining from the last thread thread? If so:

Yes, I am.

a girl is staying at my place all next weekend

I'm worried my months-long reps streak will be broken

>pretend to go to the bathroom
>finish your reps there
???
Alternatively, get up at 5 AM to finish them before she wakes up.

Correct my English \( 'ω')/

SERIOUSLY HOW HARD IS IT TO ROTATE THE PICTURE 90 DEGREES GODDAMMIT ふざけるなーーーーー!

Gotcha hombre.

Why you troll him?

Here you go

>ESL has better handwriting than me
JUST

Bro that's backwards.

ありがとうです、助かっ…
って、間違ってるじゃねーか !。ヘ(。≧O≦)ノ

Main issue is conjugation on verbs, really.

"I think gradually improve my cooking"
>"I think I'm gradually improving my cooking"
"I don't watch anime for several days".
>"I haven't watched anime in several days."
"What do the sign show?"
>"What does these signs mean?"(I guess show also works)
"I wonder if it shows that I focus on studies."
>"I wonder if it means that I'm focusing on studies"

and so on.

Definitely a lot better english than my japanese,

I'm learning japanese because I feel like a third language would be something interesting to know. And because I consume a decent amount of japanese media.

And I'm (trying to) correct your english because I just might get a job teaching english, so I might as well start somewhere.

>I just might get a job teaching english
>What does these signs mean
Atleast get it right then. It's do, not does

whoops.

I'm not majoring in english or anything so I still reserve the right to fuck up stuff every once in a while

That's a cute doddle

ごめん、ゴメン

Might want to think about taking your cat to the vet, just quietly.

that's my rabbit though

>I made Hoikoro for lunch. It made me happy.
ここまではおk
>I think that gradually improve my cooking.
文法的には「gradually improves」の方が正解。意味は、「それには料理を徐々にうまくする効果があると思う」になる。もっと自然な言い方は、I think my cooking is gradually improving.
>Not to change the subject,
接続詞が必要。「subject, but...」
>I don't watch anime for several days.
「haven't watched」の方が正しい
>I love anime still but I don't feel like watching one.
いい
>What do the sign show?
「signs」の方が正解だけど意味が不明。「What is this a sign of?」は通じる。「これは何の兆しか」という意味で
>or don't have meanings?
「or do they/it have no meaning?」
>I wonder if it shows that I focus on studies.
「I wonder if it shows that I'm focusing/focused on my studies?」
>I decide to watch anime tomorrow.
これは「アニメを見ることを決定するのは明日だ」って意味になる。「I've decided to watch anime tomorrow.」の方がいい
>I study English based on Forgetting Curve.
Forgetting curveにtheが必要だけど意味は不明
>It's been three weeks since this way of studying.
「since I last studied this way」
>I realize an effect regarding reading.
不自然。There's an obvious effect, There's a recognizable effect, I can tell there's an effect等の方がいいと思う。それでregardingより、in regard toかwhen it comes toの方がいいと思う。
>It is not regarding writing,
「There is none regarding writing.」
>so I am not good at writing in English even now. Sometimes, I become worried about writing and speaking.
いい
>But since nothing is more effective than challenge, I'll challenge from now on!
challenge myself from now onの方がいい。対象がないと片言に聞こえる
>don't have experience deserved to keep a diary
Didn't have any experiences worth writing about.

>>I love anime still but I don't feel like watching one.
>いい
いや良くないだろう
アニメを見ろ

Shit, my bad.
Cute rabbit.
Had to take my rabbit in for vaccinations not long ago. She's full of energy now and purring loudly on my lap.

Took this example from last thread.

車は速いです。- Cars in general are fast.
車が速いです。- This particular car is fast.
Is this a correct distinction between は and が?
If I'm talking just about that car, I would use が, right?

Or just don't be an autist, explain to her that you have to study for a bit, and do exactly that. It isn't that complicated.

Watch this
www2.gwu.edu/~eall/vjg/08particlewa/08particlewa.html
and read this
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#は~が
If you have already, sorry about that. If you haven't, I suggest you do, then maybe post your understanding after that.
This concept is easier to see explained how it is in the first link, or at least it was for my understanding.
(/・ω・)/

most of aus curriculum starts handwriting lessons far too early for males, our fine motor is not really there yet

I realise it's not hugely important since real understanding of Kanji is best obtained naturally once I start on heavy vocab learning, but for now what exactly is the difference in concept between 警="admonish" and 討="chastise"? The example words seem to indicate admonish is more from a superior punishing someone eg a police warning or a parent, while chastise is included in words involving debate, scrutiny/investigation, etc, but also attack/avenge. What are the Japanese definitions that tie each of these concepts together under distinct umbrellas?

As in it sets in poor handwriting at a motor reflex level while we developing hand eye coordination, etc.?

>he can write in a foreign language better than I can try to write basic 5 stroke kanji

JUST

Stop having a cryfest over the jap who handwrites like a careful 11 year old girl

Out of interest, why do you ask that last question ("Why do you learn Japanese/helping me learn English?")? Obviously it's a good conversation piece to practise talking over, but I see it a lot and it just seems a little unnaturally specific and common a question Japanese people ask. Are you detecting weebs/creepy ESL teachers?

yeah, they really should start the pen license etc later on, into year 8 or 9 perhaps

警="admonish" and 討="chastise" are generalised terms relative to the concepts often expressed in words which use them, but it isn't like a definition or anything. If you are learning this in the context of keywords, try not to worry about it.
Here is a spreadsheet with a cross reference of kanji keywords, if you want to see a general trend of diferent sources which use them:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1cqE_n1PiyChv9Il53Vc_Jj5ztDcY4znsHN8_jdKBY6E/htmlview?hl=en#
An example from an online kanji dictionary, for 警:
kanjitisiki.com/syogako/syogaku6/031.html
意味
>いましめる。注意する。さとす。
That's kind of like how the keywords act. 戒める can be translated to "admonish", so can 諭す.
The take away is that it isn't super important and the vocab you acquire, the more it will make sense.

It wasn't until highschool that I was allowed to write with a pen, which was mandatory at that point. All through primary school at all the different schools I went to, pens were not really permitted because we weren't allowed to bring liquid paper.
I've got no excuse. (^_^;)

>don't be an autist
DJT has unreal expectations of us!

Thanks. Yeah, I eventually figured out the whole "generalised terms relevant to the concepts expressed in words that contain them" thing, which is why I'm not worried about mixing the keywords up or anything (and am trying to learn the keyword-kanji link only in the loosest sense possible so I can deliberately forget/overwrite it later), I was just interested to see if the Japanese had two separate concepts for forms of chastisement/admonishment which are basically the same word in English. Something like the difference between instruction and teaching and ordering (which exists in both languages)

>so I can deliberately forget/overwrite it later
Should fade into the plastic shadows of your mind once the Japanese connections to words are stronger.
Here, see if you can compare to see if you feel much of a nuanced difference:
kotobank.jp/word/討-579381#E3.83.87.E3.82.B8.E3.82.BF.E3.83.AB.E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.B3.89
>敵をうち平らげる
kotobank.jp/word/警-488109#E3.83.87.E3.82.B8.E3.82.BF.E3.83.AB.E5.A4.A7.E8.BE.9E.E6.B3.89
>注意を与え、身を引き締めさせる。非常の事態に備える
I am seeing two seperate but related in English, concepts here, relative to your question.

youtube.com/watch?v=ez2aD4IUMKM

>usually don't learn new cards on weekends, use time to review and get daily reps down to a manageable level before blowing up the count next week
>business trip on tuesday and wednesday
>have to study new cards this weekend, as well as review 3 days' worth of cards on monday

joy

That's what you get for playing too much on easy mode!

きみ は あいのきせき お しる

I heard this. What does it mean?

So しる is like する but commanding.

Does it mean something like we are destined to be together?

君は愛の奇跡をしる

I do 400~500 cards a day

What is not ``easy mode?"

Taking breaks.
Steadiness is the best strategy for anything long-term, if you do (say) 10 cards 5 days a week, it's better if you do 7 cards 7 days a week instead.

I'm not saying you are not putting enough effort, but having these little breathers makes you used to them, and when the time comes where you can't take them, you feel it bad.

Also, I don't get why you have to do 3 days' worth of reviews on Monday, why?

>Learn basic kanji 1nen (80) or radicals (200)

Well I'm going to learn radicals, I already know that. My question was more about the actual physical and mental actions while staring at an Anki deck because the meanings of the individual radicals disappear when used inside other kanji so it almost seems pointless to focus on that rather than just writing down the radical until I internalise in my mind. But that seems somehow slow.

And I do have some, if small, retention from my Chinese classes back in the day. Are the radicals pretty much the same?

nice pic

I see what you mean, but I objectively under perform on the weekends. I can go back through years' worth of stats at this point and probably find a solid 3% dip in retention on saturdays and sundays. I don't know why. So I figure it's best to do actual learning during the week.

I have to do 3 days' worth of reviews on Monday because
1. review for Monday
2. review ahead for Tuesday
3. review ahead for Wednesday

Thanks

You can save it if you want

Yes, except chink is simplified depending on the variety you learned.

I don't really get your question about Anki.

You use your radical knowledge to better recognize and differentiate between kanji, even seeing some semantic categories or pronunciation hints, but it's very irregular so I wouldn't really rely that much on this.

You will have to remember their meanings and readings by force, unless you prefer going the mnemonic route with RTK for each kanji.
Pronunciation will still be arbitrary, though, unless you make a mnemonic for that also.

You can also study kanji etymologically!
腸脚胸腕膝肘 - all of these are body parts, and all have a 月, which is actually a corrupted 肉 (meat), thus the association.

These patterns are however not very reliable, as lots of non-body parts have the same radical and lots of body parts don't have it.

Ah, I see. Never reviewed ahead. Maybe there is a way to juggle your reviews in a way you can spread this workload between the weekend and monday.
Seems confusing as fuck, though.

it's an issue between は and が again.
in my opinion

車は速いけど安全だ。
a subject of 車 is stable.
車が速いから、すぐ家に着くだろう。
a sentence with a subject of 車 can be a modifier.

for example 車が速いけど安全だ。
in the case of this, 'a car is fast, but I am safety.'

i-i got it argentino...

hi, what's the difference between いち and ひとつ?

The same between one and first.

Same difference between saying "one" (the number) and "one" (an amount of things)

Oh I see, thanks!

いち is a number.
ひとつ is a number with an unit in spoken language.

いち is from chinese language probably.
イー アル サン スー
in yamato language, it is ひ.
ひい ふう みい よう いい むう なあ やあ ここの とう

たぶんね

thanks sensei

you're welcome

kek

しる is also an internet slang of する, though
that sentence is a kind of 'you will know a miracle of love.'

I don't know the details tho

I have a question about the word 多少, and really about any similar quantity/degree words. When not marked with the particle の, does it have to be modifying the verb of the sentence? Basically, does it become an adverb in the absence of the particle の?

多少リズムがおかしい。 "The rhythm is somewhat odd" and NOT "Some of the rhythm is odd" (modifying the following noun)

多少んのリズムがおかしい。"Some of the rhythm is odd."

Thanks for any help.

んの*

the speaking way of 多少のリズムがおかしい itself is somewhat odd.
多少 is an adverb, so 多少リズムがおかしい/リズムが多少おかしい is understandable.
that is just a Japanese sentence made for the purpose of making a meaning of "Some of the rhythm is odd."
正しい日本語ではあるけど。

in the case of possessive, i think it can be 多少の~がある.
多少の間違いがある/多少のリズムの間違いがある

まあ、どこかの日本人の文章なのかもしれないけど。。少し曖昧な文にみえる。

Hmm, alright thank you, I think I understand a little more. I still don't quite get why it would be "Some of the rhythm is odd" and not "The rhythm is somewhat odd" if 多少 is an adverb, but the two translations have similar meanings, so I won't worry about it right now.

you're welcome :)
きっと否定的な内容だから遠慮して言ったセリフだろう。。
意味はわかる。

一般的にはこのように言う
「多少のリズムがおかしいような気がしないでもない」
→translation: "リズムが変"

>no romaji guides

What's even the fucking point?

I want to say
yes, today my computer crashed in the middle of the reviews.

is this correct to say it like this

はい,今日のパソコンの中復習は落ちった

はい,今日パソコンがreview中に壊れました。

I can't understand 'review' a little.

←review?

Are foreigners really expected to use ます speech and other polite forms all the time in Japan, or is it just something tutors give you in order to preemptively defuse the situation when you make your inevitable blunders?

If you're meeting somebody for the first time or interacting with society at large, you are almost certainly talking in ます form. You can talk with your friends however you want.

Read the Wikipedia article, it's not rock science.

Any doubts? I'm pretty familiar with it.

Please translate この人いーよ(ちなみに)私の推し
ジョナサンって言うの

can you please explain why you changed の to が
after パソコン?
and why は became に

today ・・・今日
my computer crashed ・・・パソコンが壊れた
in the middle of the reviews ・・・レビュー中に

[パソコン(※1)][の中復習(※2)][は落ちった(※3)]
※1 + ※3 = パソコンが壊れた (S+V)
※2 = レビュー中に (O)

が is similar to は.
"in" is に roughly.

I think by "review", he means "doing anki flashcards". Or, "review" can just mean "study".

>この人いーよ
このひとはいいよ
>(ちなみに)
>私の推し
>ジョナサンって言うの
ジョナサンと言うの

Is this easier for you to read and look up?

Yes, thank you

レビュー中に (O)*
レビュー中に
that is not Object

thank you for explaining to me. ^^
I found it is something related to that software anki.

Is there a website that have Japanese subtitles for movies? I bought a movie called ラビリンス ラビリントス for like 3 bucks at the flea market for listening practice

Won't downloading external subs and handling the files in your computer kill the whole aura of "I physically bought this movie"?

Not that much
Buying a movie and then downloading the same movie from a torrent would be even more stupid

I was told to ask my request here.

Can someone please translate the texts on the following four pictures?
Will post the other three as reply's.

pic related

>all of these are body parts, and all have a 月, which is actually a corrupted 肉 (meat), thus the association
Every time I learn one of these little things it just blows my mind. Can you hook me up with some more of them?

The pleasure of cumming inside a カブトムシ

I attempted a translation of the first paragraph. Here's what I've got:
>1.Beetles inhabiting foreign countries?
>It's told that there is over 1300 species of beetles in the world.
>The world's longest beetle is the Hercules beetle growing up to nearly 18 cm of length, the world's heaviest beetle is the Actaeon beetle growing up nearly 60 g of weight, the world's smallest beetles belong to the Dynastinae subfamily.
>It's said that currently the are around 90 species of beetles allowed to import to Japan, among these around 20 are to be seen in shops.
I've be thankful if some more knowledgeable than me would check for mistakes because I barely know any Japanese.

What does にしてくれる mean in this context?

that is a same meanig as やってくれる.
'to act as expected'

How so? I can't find anything that suggests that in a few dictionaries

It's probably correct to express something like pic related if that happens.

for example this
Russians are nice.

is いたたまれない really less common than 200,000 other words, or is rikaisama just being dumb? I'm pretty sure I've seen it at least twice now

Still don't get it. But thanks anyway.

you're welcome :)
I also have not found a dictionary written about that.
I wonder if it is a special way of speaking...

>I was told to ask my request here.
It's worth also asking the anons in the Japanese thread on /jp/, as they have a few translators and enjoy that sort of thing.
You can find them at
We're mostly beginners while those guys are the experts.

Kanji are blending together. Wish there was more logic/consistency in readings and more distinction between characters, so many of them are so similar that I'm constantly getting kanji mixed up over time.

It is a combination of にする+くれる
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#にする
>Someone has decided on something.
djt.neocities.org/bunpou/full_day.html#呉れる・くれる(2)
>Someone does something as a favour to the first person or to someone with whom the speaker empathises.
In this context, ウニクロ is the company Uniqlo, and コラボTシャツ are those graphic t-shirts with famous brands, etc. on them. コラボ=コラボレーション=collaboration. Here is a page to give you an idea:
uniqlo.com/jp/store/feature/uq/ut/men/
matome.naver.jp/odai/2137351252441379001
What he is thinking is that the shirt will make him cool, to put it one way. Since it is a popular clothing company and the type of graphic shirt is seen as fashionable in his opinion, it follows that it "has been decided upon (by himself)" that the shirt will "do the favour of" being stylish/cool/センス.

>so many of them are so similar that I'm constantly getting kanji mixed up over time
Remember the Kanji is good for helping prevent this.

Thank you for replying!
Sorry(>Stop having a cryfest over the jap who handwrites like a careful 11 year old girl
Sorry I'm afraid of I can't understand this part since I'm lack of reading.
>("Why do you learn Japanese/helping me learn English?")?
It's been 4days since I post my daily. Whenever I post it , there is American flag that help me in this thread. I thank him very much. So I want to know the reason why he/she help me.

That's just the feeling of your brain making shortcuts. It's better to spend a few blunders figuring out exactly which details you need to look out for, than to spend your whole life scrutinising every little radical like a pre-schooler.

>>I learne it!
>image is still sideways

Does context help? I've discovered that it's actually easy for me to read kanji I mix up when they're surrounded by familiar words.

Ok?

Aww, you're cute, Japanon. Also, I love your handwriting.