/editing/

/editing/

Which edting software do you guys use? I've been using sony vegas for a while but I want to try something else. Any reccs?

Other urls found in this thread:

lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103&Itemid=214
m.youtube.com/user/svenpape
editstock.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=0T-mo4iX6Tg
youtu.be/2o6pjd2AU9c
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ask Sup Forums

microsoft movie maker

kek

Movie Edit Pro 2016 Premium

I've been thinking of coding a video editor for some time now.
Some Features:
Open source (windows x64)
Uses FFmpeg stack for encoding/decoding
Written in C++
Plugin feature - for wipes, titling and fx
Must be able to run on older x64 hardware easily
Frame buffering - user definable memory amount

Why do it? The Open source software that I've seen so far is pretty shitty and commercial software like adobe premier just slaughters machine resources.

iMovie comes for free with every Mac, and it's undoubtedly the best value for money.

If you want to get a bit more advanced, Final Cut Pro X is a fairly inexpensive upgrade for the features it provides.

I edited a hp video when HOWEVER posting was at it's peak. I never bothered uploading it though. I used windows movie maker and didn't do a great job.

DO IT FAGGOT!!!
we need a FOSS alternative that's better to the proprietary options.

Well ok then.
Reporting back in about three months.

AFTER
E
F
F
E
C
T
S

After Effects is an effects / compositing software, not an editing one.

I shall take my leave

Noob shitlord detected.

Premiere Pro

Turner Broadcasting uses Premiere Pro.

It should be good enough for you too.

Shotcut exists if you want to go the legal route and not pirate anything.
Not sure how robust it is though, I've only used it to make clips from stuff

Final Cut + Motion are far better than After Effects ever could be.

I tried Vegas for a brief time but found too hard and not very intuitive. That was a long time though, when I was starting out. After that I tried Premiere and it fit like a glove, so I've been using it ever since.

>iMovie comes for free with every Mac, and it's undoubtedly the best value for money.

The New York Times uses Premiere Pro.

Fuck The New York TImes

there's 2 types of people
>people who use sony vegas
>retards
which one are you Sup Forums?

What do guys edit to get practice? I have an Adobe CC student me membership I use for Photoshop and Illustrator for uni, but I've recently started using Premiere to edit some music videos together just using scenes from movies and TV shows but I only get an idea for one every so often. I'd like to get better at editting but it's not like I have my own footage I can work on.

Vegas + Nuke master race reporting in.

This reminds me of when I was a kid, I used to watch DBZ music videos on Divex or whatever it was called. I got an idea for my own and got really excited about it. It was going to be to a System of a Down song and I planned it all out on a post-it note, and also described it to my brother.

What program does hollywood use?

I'm using vegas and wonder how much more advanced Final Cut is

Avid and Premiere Pro are pretty industry standard, but I don't doubt that many studios have their own IP software like Major League Baseball.

Cheers

Avid and Premiere is what 99% of Hollywood uses. The 1% are Absolute Madmen that use Final Cut Pro X.

Premiere Pro

Avid yo

Been buying footage off editstock.com, they sell raw footage from short films. You can get a scene for like $20, few bucks more they'll critique your work too

Pirated Sony Vegas Pro 13.0

Nah, they just avid because it's project sharing for multiple editors and assistants is too convenient. Premiere won't overtake Avid until it has something comparable

What's a good rig for editing? Most guides online simply tell you to get a top of the line iMac (which is what the editors where I work also all use, but they didn't pick the hardware themselves) or have vague talk about PCs that then redirects you to a good page, but one that is meant for designing a video game rig, not an editing rig.

Is the cheapest 27 inch iMac upgraded to 16GB RAM a good choice?

Well I can give you my specs as a reference:

Gtx 560
I5 2500k
16 gb ram

I can handle HD footage alright but I'll normally ingest it at 1080p and then lower the project quality to SD so things run smoother. This is pretty old hardware so as long as you pick up decent cpu and gpu with at least 16 gb of ram you'll have no trouble editing as long as it's not like 4k resolution.

What's your email? I'll be interested in the development

Here's my email.

Anything with an I5 or an i7 processor, 16GB of RAM (minimum, though do your research and see if the gains are really worth the $$$) and a GPU - doesn't matter which as long as you aren't using a integrated one. An SSD might be worthwhile too, but again dp your research as they get $$$ past 256Gb

Most video game rigs are good for editing

lwks

thanks famalams

>Nah, they just avid because it's project sharing for multiple editors and assistants is too convenient
good point. Premiere fucking sucks in that regard.

Had never used after effects before and me another assistant were setting up camera moves on some map gfx....and then promptly lost half the work because we were both working out of the same project.

x86 when?

Yup, that's the problem with Premiere, it's very much a "turn your key at the same time" situation.
>are you out of the project?
>almost!
>WAIT DON'T SAVE!
Lost two hours of work.

I actually work as an editor and compositor for a living. There is absolutely no reason for you not to use Premiere. Final Cut Pro 7 was a masterpiece in it's time and is still great if you're more of a one man shooter/editor package, but if you're collaborating at all with other people Premiere is the way to go. There's a few odd ducks and senior guys still attached to Avid MC5 because it's what they cut with from the mid 80s all the way to today, which is okay if you're into to patching it up with plugins and working with obscure specs, but otherwise it's a clunky mess and should be buried before next decade.

Avid is the industry standard and what's taught at any respectable film school. Learn how to use it as it's an invaluable entry point into the editing industry. It's got a much larger learning curve than a program like Premiere Pro but once you get the hang of it you can start to do things that Premiere and other programs can't do.

You can always torrent it but if you're serious they have monthly plans or you can purchase outright.

Take it from someone who has been pulling their hair out over this for the past three weeks.

I've been a macfag since I started working in the industry because you're surrounded by them everywhere you go, but honestly, since the New Mac Pro 3 years ago, Apple has completely neglected their video production audience in favour of their art/graphic designer audience. The New Mac Pro model that could even be remotely close to working well in the Adobe Suite costs about 6000 dollars. I reckon you can get a PC with a GTX 1080, 1TB SSD and 16 GBs of RAM for 3000 (correct me if i'm wrong PCfats)

They USE to be the video production standard, but their hardware is not matching up well with the software that's becoming the norm. Fuck, they boast about their connection to the Adobe Suite, yet all of their new model macs use AMD cards, namely the D500 and D700. In Adobe, you NEED Nvidia for CUDA and Hardware Acceleration or you're basically wasting your time in it.

It's the standard only for TV editors, and it's pretty much equal to Premiere and FCP in terms of difficulty. Like one user said, it just has far superior features for a large team working at the same time.

How does DaVinci Resolve compare to Premiere (since speedgrade was embedded)?

Im pretty new to coloring so I really cant tell.

Sorry I can't watch my editingfu get knocked by a buncha punks. If you need to set up a multi-editor workflow in Premiere you need to create a Master Project with all the source files, then sequences for whichever shots or scenes the individual editors are working on and split them up. DO NOT USE XMLs. Then, in their respective Premiere, they need to import said sequence, set the scratch disk to the same location as the mast .prproj file, and work on it separately. Once they save it, it will replace the sequence held in the master file. This is the entire reason they created the Dynamic Link system, so that people could collaborate and update files real-time.

DaVinci destroys anything and everything in the same category colour-wise. It's infinitely more advanced and powerful. The editing in it is nothing special and you're better off just sending an AAF or EDL from Premiere or Avid. Also never use Speedgrade

Premiere gets knocked on project sharing because avid you don't have to any of that you, just open a bin and work, if it's locked you save a copy. Simple.

Thanks user

I'm loyal to Premiere since it has crashed very few times on me, and there are no retarded file format issues like FCP has.

Will I have any trouble/bugs pirating it?

There's a free version

You need 3 things and it will be better than 90% of everything else free.

Keyframe system that doesn't suck
Masks (that can be animated using keyframes)
Speedrate control that can be controlled by keyframes and doesn't butfuck the clip on the timeline like blender vse does.

The only good open source editor is Blender's VSE yet despite how full featured it is, its usability is so ass backwards and upside its painful to use if you want to do anything more than the basics.

Stop trying to make another new general thread no one here is a film maker REEEEE

Hey, you offend me sir. I make shitty reality shows no one watches that get canceled after 1 season.

What about the Lightworks, autists? I don't get why they are so hardcore about Lightworks. I tried it a while ago and it was underwhelming desu.

lwks.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=103&Itemid=214

It's free my man, and all the studio version has is native 3D editing, no 4k downsampling and tools for applying grain and other silly effects, as well as colouring board support. Basically it's so that people starting out don't pay squat, then once they gain momentum in their career and it comes time to use/request colour software in a professional environment, they've become so attached to DaVinci that, ta-da, the studio signs off on 10 suites with 10 000$ colouring boards and 3000$ studio editions.

hey! fuck off mister bitter man! I do videoclips for emerging neotechno and folk bands in my area and do wedding videos on ocassion too!

You're absolutely right and Avid is way more of a pure offline editing program, but the Dynamic Link workflow goes for ANY type of file. Audio, Effects, Photoshop Files, anything. I'm just rationalizing why people in say, a multimedia studio or an advertising agency might use it. If it's a purely editing studio then there's no question Avid is the way to go

I don't see anything particularly unique or exciting about it. I guess it has an okay range of support for an NLE. But considering it can't support .cine files I doubt it's being used that much in mid-range environments.

Oh yeah definitely

Avid master race for 10 years
Try it if you have the balls

If not Premiere is what nu-male directors are using nowadays

>working on MTV reality shows for 10 years

wew

Heh nice try, lil turd

do it faggot, this is literally the only reason I own a macintosh

Photoshop, I know my way around it and it has new possibilities to explore bringing photo editing techniques to video editing. Ableton Live for sound editing and music.

How do I get into making videos and editing them? I want to practice by making some videos and uploading them to YouTube.

I'm a complete noob. The extent of my experience is when I made shitty videos in Windows Movie Maker in middle school or when I edited a shitty video project in high school in iMovie on my iPad. I'm done with Appleshit though, and right now I have a GTX 760, i7 (not sure which i7 but I'll have to check later), and 16 gigs of RAM.

m.youtube.com/user/svenpape good tips

editstock.com/ for sheer practice you can buy some cheap footage here.

Otherwise go shoot stuff yourself or try to edit a movie into a fake trailer or something

Thanks user, I'll check those out. I'm considering shooting some videos myself though. Do ylu have any camera suggestions?

I started with Windows Movie Maker, occasionally iMovie, but I use Premiere Pro. I don't know how to make super fancy videos, but it's not bad.

Star wipes, that's the secret

I use sony vegas 10 to make dank mlg videos lol

>Using anything other than Premiere
>2016
Top kek.
Some people can still get away with FCP7 and actual professionals like Avid too. Anything else is laughable.

Applied to TED and they actually use FCPX

Pirate Premiere, FCP or AVID and use that.

Don't do what I did, which is use Vegas because it is easiest to pick up, get used to it and then take forever to learn another system. Being skilled with vegas is fucking worthless but you will be tempted because it's the most approachable "advanced" editor out there.

Also find a film society or a friend and work with them. Get someone else to do the shooting if possible.

Best practice is to edit something which is supposed to have a story. Montages of random shit put together just to "look nice" will not teach you the most important stuff (ie how to push a narrative through cutting)

>professionals like Avid too

no, professionals will laugh you out of the building for using anything other than Avid. It is THE standard.

David Fincher uses Final Cut Pro

oh, it shows

you really hating fincher right now

Avid Media Composer or Premiere

ITT

Yes, but because normies find it too complicated, Premiere is now a good second choice.

It wasn't 10 years ago, but now with cc and tapeless I recommend it

Premiere is getting some recognition.

No, he uses Premiere

Premiere isn't unheard of in features, Deadpool was cut on Premiere

wrong

youtube.com/watch?v=0T-mo4iX6Tg

He flip flops between both

Wrong

youtu.be/2o6pjd2AU9c

His last three movies were on Premiere, seems to be done with FCP

Oh wow, a video from 9 years ago. You sure showed me.

>A 9 year old movie back when final cut was at its peak
How dumb are you

HA. Not anymore, grandpa. 10 years ago, you might be right.
A number of features last year were all cut in Premiere.
Ever heard of David Fincher? Swears by Premiere.

Jokes on you nerd. I exclusively edit everything in avisynth scripts.

HA
I don't give a fuck what toenail clippers the man uses. The important is the result.

You baby piece of shit really think using Premier over something else will change the final cut.