Anyone have a good recipe for a filling soup?

Anyone have a good recipe for a filling soup?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/xessex/comments/5s9roa/be_more_like_your_stepsister_kendall_woods_jake/
foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-soup-recipe
pinchofyum.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

reddit.com/r/xessex/comments/5s9roa/be_more_like_your_stepsister_kendall_woods_jake/

Are you literally asking for a filling soup (like literally food) or is that some kind of slang I don't know of? Because my grandma makes a kickass cheese and potato soup, and I can share the recipe.

Yeah I want a good soup recipe.

>cheese and potatoes
I'm listening...

>cheese and potatoes
Gibe recipe, seems fun

Shit, I was hoping it was just slang. Now I actually have to call grandma. Gimme a second.

I think the best soup to make it probably lentil soup. It's cheap, it's way healthier than cream based soups, way heartier than other broth based soups, and is flavorful as fuck with only some herbs and a bit of fat (bacon is great here, not much is necessary, about a strip per serving)

This looks like a solid base recipe:
foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/lentil-soup-recipe

Feel free to add meat, potatoes, anything you can think of. Lentils alone, you can get this down to a 25c a meal.

Sounds tasty! How long does it keep in the fridge?

Not entirely sure... I've had success freezing it.

I'd say a week in the fridge, but that's just a gut estimate.

Thanks I'll give it a go !

Alright, instructions straight from Grandma Dallman:

Ingredients for this are enormously variable, it's delicious and filling but a total peasant's dish, so you can use whatever ingredients you have. The only really mandatory ones are potatoes (what type doesn't matter) cheese (preferably at least half of which is processed cheese like velveeta or "american" cheese, for reasons discussed later), and a salted meat of some kind.

First, dice up some potatoes into chunks of whatever size you want, although generally speaking larger than an inch is too bit, throw it in a big soup pot, cover in just enough water to submerge the potatoes, add some salt, boil till cooked, take the potatoes out but save the water.

While the potatoes are cooking, chop up some of the following:

bacon, ham, polish sausage, hot dogs, any salted meat really, and again, portions are enormously variable.

Cook up your meat (assuming it's not pre cooked), then throw it into your pot along with a couple tablespoons of flower, and a cup or two of milk (skim, whole, even canned, doesn't matter). Cut/grate up some cheese (Velveeta and processed cheese melt easiest so they have the best texture, but you can use other cheeses too, mixing both processed and "natural" cheese is best for flavor, because processed cheeses tend to be pretty bland)

Now that the dairy is added, you got to cook it low and slow, just below a simmer, for an hour+ (there's really no upper limit on the time, just cook it low and slow).

After it's cooked for an our, mix it up and taste it, then add salt and pepper as desired.

If you want to zest thing up, add one of the following: a dash of olive oil, a little bit of garlic, some red chili powder, chopped red peppers or chives to add color

As an addendum, you can add basically whatever meats and vegetables you happen to have in the fridge, this soup is great for getting rid of leftovers.

pinchofyum. com/crockpot-chicken-wild-rice-soup

Chicken noodle soup's where it's at.

>Turnip, carrots, potato's, kale, rutabaga, leftover chicken breast, egg noodles
> make broth, add vegetables accordingly
> add in egg noodles last
> make a huge ass pot and it'll last a good week in the fridge and 2-3 weeks in the freezer.

Sounds good! And one good point about that kind of chicken broth soups with veggies is that they tend to reheat very well, so they're great to make a big pot, stick it in the fridge, and eat out of it for a week.

I don't think I've ever eaten rutabaga or turnip before, though, it's not something you get a lot of where I'm from. What flavor does it add? Or is it just a texture thing?

Fuck soup. Do a shrimp boil.
-Buy a pound of medium size raw shrimp still in the shell (21-30 count)
-4 ears of fresh white corn, or yellow if you can't get white
-1 pound of sausage, or turkey sausage
-2 pounds of fingerling or red bliss potatoes
-1 can of Old Bay Seasoning

Boil gallon of water in a big ass pot
toss in 1/4 cup Old Bay
Cook potatoes for 30 minutes (no need to peel, just scrub first)
Then toss in all the corn with the potatoes for 15 more minutes
then toss in sausage for 5 minutes
then toss in shrimp for 5 more minutes

Remove from heat and feast. It'll keep in the fridge for 2 days.

(not him but adding to this)
If you're going for quality over quantity, chicken noodle soup elevates to gourmet level if you boil a bunch of whatever veggies you're using in the soup for a long time, like a couple hours, fish them out and toss them, then make the soup as you would, with even more veggies. This does two things, it infuses the soup with the flavors of the vegetables and it keeps the ones you'll actually be eating tender but firm.

>fire and forget vegetables

I might have to try that. I love cooking soups low and slow to get that flavor, but yeah, the better textures on the veggies would be great. Still, throwing out a bunch of perfectly good vegetables seems wasteful, so it might be better to bake them into a side or something. Just let those fuckers dry out a bit and mix them into some baked entree you're making later on.

good call, they'd go great in like a stuffing recipe

That sounds delicious, but I notice you said still in the shell. Do you ever shell these shrimp, or does the water soften the shells, or do you fish out the shrimp and eat them that way, or what?

You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich.