Today is the anniversary of the Gallipoli campaing

Today is the anniversary of the Gallipoli campaing.

>those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country. Therefore rest in peace. There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ... You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace. After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5gXlPvY-e9I
youtube.com/watch?v=uLfukuEutIU
youtube.com/watch?v=J1N73Hmvq8E
youtube.com/watch?v=oOCe2Y7iVF8
youtube.com/watch?v=Urtiyp-G6jY
youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YLUZgzEnE
youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr3OI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Watched this movie the other day again actually. Fantastic

Good job Turkey.
Maybe your current leader should remember the words that Ataturk said

Do you have songs for Gallipoli campaing?

Here is a Turkish one. It's called : In Çanakkale they shot me.
youtube.com/watch?v=5gXlPvY-e9I

youtube.com/watch?v=uLfukuEutIU

You deal with your beta leader first before talk about mine.

Here is another song:
youtube.com/watch?v=J1N73Hmvq8E

based mehmet

youtube.com/watch?v=oOCe2Y7iVF8

wasn't that battle mostly Australians dying under incompetent British command?

>345,000 British (including Indians, Irish and Newfoundlanders)
>79,000 French[6]
>c.50,000 Australians
>c.15,000 New Zealanders

A VERY sad battle :(

No it's overplayed so much, more Aussies died at the Somme in 2 weeks than the entire Gallipoli campaign. It's disgusting really.

who cares about new zealand right?

new what?

I find it pathetic how we as a nation love to focus on our defeats and humiliation instead of focusing on our victories, i.e. in the Pacific and North Africa in WW2.

>incompetent British command?
The Anzac troops and officers in were easily as incompetent tbqphf
>our battalion is opposed by a single platoon?
>better dig in lol

>soil of a friendly country

You don't need to worry about that. half of our population thinks we fought against Austrians.

no they don't.

I was responding to the Poortuguese bloke who said it was about Australia you pommy nonce.
I think it's endearing that we don't glorify battles like the US or Russia does but remember those that sacrificed there lives in both victory and defeat.

>I think it's endearing that we don't glorify battles
Thats exactly what Anzac day is though, its directly related to Gallipoli.

I think he meant to say that we don't glorify victories

a greater proportion of the deployed force died in Gallipoli

I don't, I much prefer the Australian attitude to war where everyone views it as absolute fucking shit.
youtube.com/watch?v=Urtiyp-G6jY is better than any AMERICA FUCK YEAH song

Something of a classic tune by Eric Bogle
youtube.com/watch?v=Z8YLUZgzEnE

Pretty much everyone died under incompetent command, wasn't just the ANZAC forces- huge casualties in the UK forces too

Lot of it comes down to how the press reported battles back then. Part of me as a former serviceman thinks that our faults shouldn't be forgotten, but our successes are diminished in the focus on losses.
As a country we also don't give enough credit to our NZ allies either.

NZ don't deserve any credit for anything Tbh

America Fuck Yeah songs are shit because they are American. European patriotic military songs are god-tier. Although that song is a classic tbf.

Yeah songs that tell of how shit war is are better. I was only 19 is one of my most favourite songs, this one is up there to.
youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr3OI

They are sheep rooting, peace loving filthy hippies that will steal our equipment given half a chance and can't into cricket, but their artillery and support has been bailing our arses out of nasty spots for a long time.

Just realised you posted it before

William Bridges – first Australian general to get killed in Gallipolli, one of the two whose bodies returned to Australia. Established the first military academy in Australia, the Royal Military College at Duntroon (Canberra). Picked to form the Australian Imperial Force. As they were heading to England for training, Australian forces were redirected to Egypt. Bridges suggested retreating from Gallipolli due to hopelessness of the assault, but was over-ruled.

Inspected the lines despite the risk of being shot by the Turks – in fact, died from hemorrhage after getting shot in his femoral artery (right leg) by a sniper. The only identified WW1 Australian whose body returned to Australia – the other one was unidenfied. After his death Australian public realised that perhaps the situation is far more serious than they expected. His horse returned to Australia as well – the only horse which did so.

>can't into cricket
still makes me laugh

Alexander Godley – chief of New Zealand military, reorganised the army, predicted the imminent war and prepared successful plans for capturing German Samoa and German New Guinea. Opted for merging NZ and Australian militaries into ANZAC. Was supposed to fight on the Western Front, moved to Egypt due to Turkey's joining the fray. Godley was insistent on training but relatively lax when it came to free time discipline.

Godley was an exceptional administrator but a mediocre commanding officer and there were plans to swap him. Godley suggested retreating from Gallipolli, but sir Ian Hamilton ordered him to hold still. Too tall for trenches, apparently. Later led the 2nd ANZAC Corps.

Fought in the Somme in 1916. Unpopular among his troops. At Passchendaele, he overestimated the weather and caused significant casualties. Tried to get replaced, but he was denied that. Took part in the Spring Offensive. Valued NZ soldiers, even though they didn't really value him. Later led the British XXII Corps, essentially what was left from ANZAC forces.

William Birdwood – commanded the combined ANZAC forces. Under Hamilton during Gallipolli (ordered by Lord Kitchener). Both Godley and Bridges tried to urge him to stop the assault, but Birdwood ordered them to hold fast. The only commander in favour of staying in Gallipolli, ironically led the successful evacuation during the 1915-1916 winter. Later led the 1st ANZAC Corps.

Ian Hamilton – considered less ruthless than other generals, although too much of a gentleman, too friendly and too smart for the Western Front. Ordered 150k men to capture the Dardanelles, got only 70k from Kitchener. Led an ineffectual assault on the Turks which ended his career.

Later in life an admirer of Adolf Hitler, but wasn't a Nazi and thought that it's all rhetoric and youthful stunts. He turned out to be gravely wrong.

Winston Churchill - in charge of the Dardanelles. He fucked up big, which caused the future Gallipolli massacre.

>He fucked up big
And not for the last time.

>tfw to intelligent for the Western Front

>defending roaches
why do self-proclaimed White and Christian nations do this?

At what post an Aussie defends us on any matter
There is nothing to defend anyway, you dumb wh*teshit
Its just two enemies respecting and honouring their fight with each other and thats it

>respecting
I'm probably going to get drunk and vomit on the Ataturk monument this year desu

and I'd fight Turkey again tbhwyf.
They've sunken so far...

Bit of an Autistic post tbqh lad