What 'is' a meme?

What 'is' a meme?

Is it a funny picture? Or is it the ideas we spread around. Can one 'make' a meme or do they appear out of nothingness? When does a meme stop being a meme? Are forced memes still memes?

i think its a bad thing from a game where you play as a guy with a really cool armor.

memes were related pictures out of a drawing or person like desu or Pepe or Batman or the banana but now normies fucked it up and memes are shitty images with a dumb caption on top

They're inside jokes, but everybody is in on them. They hold the same principles as inside jokes of long ago, except memes aren't forgotten with time

a social construct

you may actually be retarded.

A meme is an inside joke that everybody's inside on.

I remember when we used to call them Image Macros.

Hey fuck off faggot, I said it first

I have an idea. Lets all call memes inside jokes that everyone's in on. It'll be funny.

Start with the Greeks.

So what kind of dank memes did the Greeks have?

A meme is by definition "The smallest unit of an Idea."

A 'meme' is something that has been spread around and embedded into peoples memory. A catchy phrase, a funny joke or a stupid image. Even concepts.
It is usually immature.
A meme can posseses memetic properties if used enough.
(See the 'bane 4u plane crash over les baines')

Basically its a repeating concept that gets altered as it spreads. An anti-meme is something that is never remembered or something that people keep forgetting but because of this it becomes known.

Lots.

>Are forced memes still memes?

Is your whore mother a saint?

Fucking little boys was a meme in ancient Greece

Different times man.
People became not older than 40 so being 12 was like being 25 today

Your dick is the smallest unit of an idea

biologically they developed more slowly so your argument is completely retarded

Im pretty sure it has something to do with the hivemind we all have. Memes are GODS work.

That would be a mem

I hate memes

Good call.
Roundabout adds up.

MODS MODS MODS

From what i remember it stemmed from Rage comics FFFFFUUUUUU. From there grew in to those rage faces that were labelled as meme reactions/ reaction images or some retarded shit due to the mass population slowly adopting it and became something that i don't even know what it is now. Please if someone can correct me about the accuracy of this.

* autistic screaming*

The Selfish Gene was published in 1976 by the Oxford University Press, and presents a gene-centered view of evolution in order to explain how behaviors like altruism could be adaptive. When discussing how natural selection might extend beyond biological replication, Dawkins proposed that ideas could be subject to Darwinian principles as well, since they appear to replicate by means of cultural transmission. To label this kind of information, Dawkins coined the word “meme” as the cultural analog to a gene. The word originates from the Greek word “mimeme”, meaning “imitated thing”. Under the Dawkins definition, a meme can be any idea, behavior or trend that has the ability to transmit from person to person.