/noise/ - Noise General

Apart from the usual /noise/ discussion, can we also talk about what makes noise good/bad/successful?
Like, people definitely talk about noise being good or bad, and I think there's reasons to it. And we lump all noise in here too, but there's very different approaches to noise that are all mixed together (eg. as an extension of punk as opposed to an extension of free jazz, for example).

There's also noise that means something (eg. the noise in pic related feels very cold and harsh, like brittle ice, which is probably on purpose considering the album title), there's noise that's clearly about enjoying yourself and the freedom you get with noise (I feel like Kazumoto Endo's While You Were Out is like this), and noise that's supposed to be punishing, or restricting, etc. There's also noise which isn't really supposed to mean anything (Pulse Demon might be a case of this). What do you think of this kind of distinction? Does considering this sort of thing help when you listen to the music? What if you're making noise music?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/il52P_MSEy4
youtu.be/t9B_erkJe-k
campbellkneale.bandcamp.com/track/cold-herds-travel
campbellkneale.bandcamp.com/track/chi-vampires
youtube.com/watch?v=mkX87pwyAeM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bump

>noise
>meaning anything

Just enjoy it for how it sounds and stop overintellectualizing noise like an autist you faggot

Ksssh ksssh it sounds good, who cares?

>stop discussing music on a music forum!

>discussing music
What discussion? I don't see anyone critically engaging with the OP, probably because it's pedantic and no one cares.

Good OP.

Success in noise, imo, shouldnt be the main factor for those making it & thankfully that isnt a common motive in the genre so far that i've seen. But success in it seems to have two common factors: what label released it & what format it was released in. I'm sure there'd be far more "big" names out there if it wasnt for the cassette media being some artist's only outlet.

As far as "meaning/emotional/seasonal" play, its a nice thing to consider now & then, but I dont really let it be a thing I think about too much, mostly because I dont really care too much. I'm sure its cool to share noise that fits moods but I'm not too picky.

I really like this album

>lol what do you mean noise can have meaning and mood associated with it? its just noise bro krrsshhh XD

You're worse than normalfags. This is a good OP.

>I'm sure its cool to share noise that fits moods but I'm not too picky.

Isn't there more to that, though? Noise doesn't have to depict/represent just moods. Though I guess there's a listener's perspective and the musician/creator's perspective, and those are two separate things.

Anyone else listen to the new I am a lake of burning orchids? I'm so happy to see he's not dead

What other bands/musicians would you guys recommend for someone who likes Skullflower or Yellow Swans? Looking for droney but subtle stuff

>droney but subtle stuff
sheer hellish miasma

Can anyone recommend some good noise rock or pop that is vastly overlooked?

>sheer hellish miasma
>subtle

I think youre on the right track. Noise is known mostly for its distorted walls, but there is a lot of ambient/new age stuff thats mixed into the scene like howiquitcrack.

>>>>>>Astrobrite

I-is that you?

>Noise is known mostly for its distorted walls
I mean, that's the most extreme, isn't it? The logical conclusion of noise, in a way. But I feel like there's actually a lot more musical things you can do, and be extreme in other ways. John Cage did that with silence, but I'm sure there's a lot more.

Also, noise is always associated with harshness, but I don't think that has to be the case, either. It's usually because people seeking a certain kind of thing from their music end up at noise, and those people tend to be seeking some sort of extremeness or harshness, but not all noise has to be shrill or distorted. At least, I feel that way, anyway. Isn't noise at heart completely neutral and random? The distorted wall stuff is the most prominent, I think, because it's in a sense the simplest answer.

Checking them out now. I guess they're 3 different EPs? I like what I'm hearing so far.

I think its popular just because its simple. Most harsh noise is just synths and contact mic and guitar pedals. There isnt any real logic, its just messing around, at least for me when i make noise.

The best noise is the stuff that gets creative with vocals/synthesizers etc.

When it's literally just static like certain Merzbow projects it's not very interesting

I agree

But how far do you go, though?
Like, don't get me wrong, I love noise rock, but I get the impression that the more you experiment in noise by adding stuff, the further away you move away from "noise music". Not that that's a bad thing, but I'm sure you can firmly stay in the "noise" realm and do all sorts of interesting things, stuff that hasn't been done before.

You can add other instrumentation and still be considered noise.

It's just the nature of the genre that it all ends up sounding the same unless there are some deliberate personal touches

Just preferences though. For me, the best "noise" is Yellow Swans, since its relatively soft, layered, and expansive. Jefre Ledesma is kind of in the same boat here.

Also, rec. me some "soft" noise?

>Also, rec. me some "soft" noise?
This is basically what I was asking for with but I expanded it with Skullflower since I like their atmosphere a lot

...I just want some recs of albums as diverse and noise incorporating as frozen Niagara Falls ..

Eh, you might like Dreamcrusher. I've been really enjoying his work lately
youtu.be/il52P_MSEy4

youtu.be/t9B_erkJe-k

ear rape isnt funny

Since you mention Skullflower, you might like this one, especially if you enjoyed his 2017 releases.

Personally like these two tracks from it the best
campbellkneale.bandcamp.com/track/cold-herds-travel
campbellkneale.bandcamp.com/track/chi-vampires

Yeah, his entire discography isn't on his bandcamp anymore but it's all on youtube if you like what you hear

There's new I am a lake of burning orchids material?! Fuck, gonna check it out as soon as possible.

It came out a couple of weeks ago, I was so happy to stumble upon his reactivated bandcamp

most amateur noise is shitty ear rape, user

does Insömniax count as noize?

I don't know how to add anything to this discussion but I do have some noise music.

youtube.com/watch?v=mkX87pwyAeM

Well, "ear rape" really is up to the listener to be honest.
And professional/good noise musicians do a lot of harsh, "painful" stuff as well, obviously.

recent stuff: Ã…rabrot, Bruxa Maria, Gnod