Is flying really safer than driving?

Is flying really safer than driving?

Has anyone had a flight that was in constant turbulence? I feel like that can't be good for the aircraft

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a-SnxC-BkPo
flightradar24
youtube.com/watch?v=tvT5LMhvogw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Way safer. Aircraft are built to withstand turbulence

1. Car breaks down. You pull over and fix it.
2. Plane breaks down. You're five miles in the air. Not good.

what you thinkn of as turbulence is not dangerous. real turbulence doesn't happen on commercial flights. also when was the last time you heard of an airplane crashing?

planes are built to withstand the turbulence, and one could fly through your living room window at any second, stop being afraid and live life with zero fucks given.

you will be happier.

I know it's a strange concept but next time the plane takes off think about it as the pinnacle achievement of man. You are doing something people only dreamt of doing for years

Five miles up is good allows plenty of room to set up a safe landing, problems at low altitude maybe not so good

Cars get maintained by a highschool dropout with a spanner once every 10000 miles, aircraft have spectacularly strict maintenance cycles and logbook checks that keep them grounded if not done.

but what if a plane flies into my house?

This is it man. Imagine being 30k feet up and then feeling yourself freefall. I'd lose my mind

Aircraft are in constant communication with ground control and have up to date weather radar information. The know the wind speeds of the areas they are flying into and won't enter an area that would be turbulent enough to rip the plane apart.

Here is a video of a research plane purposely flying through the eye wall (strongest part) of a hurricane. The wings still don't get ripped off.

youtube.com/watch?v=a-SnxC-BkPo

>freefall
You really think that a plane just falls if it loses power?

*millenia

Listen to this Sup Forumsro

I thought boeings couldn't glide?

This

The most dangerous time for aircraft is during takeoff. There is a point when they are going too fast to stop before the end of the runway if they have a problem. Likewise if there is a power failure right after liftoff it will usually result in a stall and crash because there is no time to recover.

Losing power high in the air gives the pilot plenty of time to glide and find a place to emergency land.

They can glide for like 100 miles from cruise altitude

100% agreed

Takeoff is always the most nerve racking time for me

endurance for any airplane can be calculated by nu*/cj*(cl^1.5/cd)(2*rho_inf*area)^.5 *(weightinitial^-.5-weightfinal^-.5)

airplanes are extremely high tech, and airlines can lose billions in valuation for a single crash. Cars are driven by random any idiot (often under inebriation), and maintained by you local high school dropout with a wrench.

Think which you trust more. It's overwhelmingly safer to fly in a plane.

Damn man. You just saved my nerves (flying for the first time in a few hours)

Seriously thought I was going to pussy out

I had to fly Dallas to Houston and they put me on a little plane like Buddy Holly died in and the turbulence was so bad I got sick for the first time ever on a plane. rode the whole flight in the john til they made me get out to land.

Enjoy, I find it very relaxing

Look at it this way as what happens if you crash. I the car you have a good chance of surviving. On a motorcycle your going to get hurt but you might survive. In a plane... put your head between your knees and kiss your arse goodbye!

>Is driving really safer than *insert something slightly less safe here*?
>
>Has anyone had a drive that was constantly bumpy? I feel like that can't be good for the automobile

OP your logic is flawed

I'll try, thanks mate

flightradar24 com/

Takeoff is the coolest part of the flight!

You can feel the immense momentum of the plane accelerating down the runway. Love it!

It's amazing all those planes manage to coexist in the sky without any collisions.

Maybe someone here knows

When a plane lands, how fast is it going? The little jet blue screen says ~247mph but I find that hard to believe

every plane is different
larger plane = less speed

that seems about right, they cruise at ~500 mph

250 KM/H

>larger plane = less speed
No

Small single engine aircraft can lift off at speeds as low as 50 mph or even lower if they are designed for it. Bush planes can take off in like 20 feet at about 20 mph.

I'd love to see a big jet attempt that.

youtube.com/watch?v=tvT5LMhvogw

Aircraft < Zeppelin

How many car crashes happen everyday? Hundreds. Do you hear about all of them? No.
Because of this, we are so used to them happening all the time that they seem insignificant.

How many plane crashes happen everyday? Not too many. Do you hear about them? Yes. That's because they rarely happen. And they always make the news when they do.

I forgot what the number is, but flying in a plane is exponentially safer than driving a car... I think the study showed the number to be like .000004% out of all flights crash. The number of cars crashing was much higher at like .01%. So, flying in a plane is wayyyyy safer than driving a car.

I've been through heavy turbulence for the entire flight, so bad that they didn't even run any service, just sit in your seat and shut the fuck up. We've had to turn back because the plane wouldn't pressurize. We've had to abort takeoffs, we've been in holding patterns until we could land again. One time we had a medical emergency and had to land in Frankfurt on some "rush" approach where the whole final approach happened much quicker than normal. I'm not even the most seasoned traveler either.

Have a drink or two before you board, and use the bathroom RIGHT before you board the plane. Flying is amazing and if you catch a nap on the plane you'll time travel to your destination.

Probability of winning the power ball is like 1 in 300m. Probability of dying in a plane crash is 1 in 11m. You me and the people in this thread aren't that licky/unlucky. Embrace statistics and the miracle of flight.

Man, I fucking love everything about planes. I'd love to build my own one day.

Neato. Fucking cool.

Yes

And Yes. It's fine for the aircraft. No place has ever been torn apart or engine fall off because of wind to my knowledge, except for a few that attempted to fly into hurricanes.

The most dangerous part of the flight is approach and landing.

But a zeppelin is an aircraft

Turbulence occurs from the design of the wings to be able to flex. Its supposed to feel that way so that the wings don't snap off.

Although crosswinds don't seem fun tbh

Wow, that was a fantastic video. Thanks for posting

Yes, but take off and landing are the most dangerous part simply because there isn't much time to react to something.

For a job or what? I would like to be paid to travel

hey I fix plane for a living, these thngs are safe.