ESPN Loses 621,000 Subscribers; Worst Month In Company History

outkickthecoverage.com/espn-loses-621-000-subscribers-worst-month-in-company-history-102916

>The biggest business story in American sports this fall isn't the declining NFL ratings or anything that's happening on the field, court, or ice, it's the collapse in ESPN subscribers, which reflect a larger trend in the collapse of cable subscribers in general.

>Yesterday Nielsen announced its subscriber numbers for November 2016 and those numbers were the worst in the history of ESPN's existence as a cable company -- the worldwide leader in sports lost 621,000 cable subscribers. That's the most subscribers ESPN has ever lost in a month according to Nielsen estimates and it represents a terrifying and troubling trend for the company, an acceleration of subscriber loss that represents a doubling of the average losses over the past couple of years, when ESPN has been losing in the neighborhood of 300,000 subscribers a month.

>These 621,000 lost subscribers in the past month alone lead to a drop in revenue of over $52 million and continue the alarming subscriber decline at ESPN. Couple these subscriber declines with a 24% drop in Monday Night Football ratings this fall, the crown jewel of ESPN programming, and it's fair to call October of 2016 the worst month in ESPN's history. But this isn't just a story about ESPN, the rapid decline in cable subscribers is hitting every channel, sports and otherwise. It just impacts ESPN the most because ESPN costs every cable and satellite subscriber roughly $7 a month, over triple the next most expensive cable channel.

How do we fix ESPN?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/DS5OFtDD3iQ
breitbart.com/sports/2016/11/10/espns-brady-wonders-network-liberal/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Less Sportscenter, more Bomani Jones.

More #MACtion, less Stephen A Smith

More SPORTS

Good

Less social justice, less lebatard, less Michelle Beadle, less bomani, less anthem protests, less ratings coverage

more sports.

>outkick the coverage

Clay Travis works for Fox Sports who barely averages 100k viewers on any given show.

Don't, just let it die and move toward streaming games

There are too many sports "journalists" and commentators anyway. They should just focus on showing more sports and fire half their staff.

>less Michelle Beadle

lmaoing at you're life

she is legitimately mildly retarded, lad. if that's your thing then by all means waifu her.

More Papi. Make HH 3 hours long and make /hhg/ great again

They just need to plow through it and keep on talking about white racism in the NBA. The viewers just don't know what they really want yet

Why not come back with prank calls on Papi on Dan Le Batard Show?

they should get two of the best anchors they have left and reboot sportscenter as a show that - wait for it - plays sports highlights and discusses what's actually happened on the court/field/murder rink/etc.

also close the LA studio, tell the NFL and NBA to fuck off with their enormous demands for tv contracts because they are unsustainable and the coming market correction will show it.

>literally, unironically consoling the country on a live """"sports"""" broadcast.

people aren't specifically removing ESPN.

Shut the fuck up about social and political issues and talk about sports. I'll watch NFL or MLB network now because they actually talk about their respective fucking sports instead of having to listen to who is sitting down during the anthem or why voting for Trump was a bad idea. They need to hire some sort of janitor here to ban Sup Forums topics.

Meanwhile, BeIn Sports Español gained about 200,000 subscribers. The latinos have spoken. More Real/Barca/Atleti, less SJW shit.

Fucking This. ESPN Deportes, their Spanish Channel, has the Europa League AND the Champions League, meanwhile their English Channels (Atleast in my case, I don't know about everyone else) is showing boreswing or replays of Handegg Games, commercials and all.

Hello eurocuck.

>shit on trump
>get stump
>act surprised.

by focusing on sports and not memes

>how do we fix espn

chiefkiefnah.jpg

Good I hope it dies. It's been terrible for years. They stopped talking about sports and more about feelings and emotional shit, things that are trending on twitter, obamas ncaa bracket, the harlem shake, lebrons "decision", extreme levels of football dick riding, kapernick, and they fill up their studios with ex players from every sport instead of actual sports journalists and call themselves a "news program."

And they're just plain fucking greedy. Let them rot.

Cable is dead. MTV airs retarded brain rot instead of music videos, the History Channel airs aliens and pawn shop swamp loggers instead of history docs, HBO airs some shitty uber-violent LOTR ripoff instead of stand up specials. Cable has been slowly declining since the late 90s and is now seeing the end results.

Good riddance to the shit. Read a book instead.

Continue to post this shitty thread again.

It's easy, we kill the Disney.

This guy has the right answer though. Money talks and right now it says the free market doesn't need ESPN anymore.

I cut my cable at home, and at work I put on FS1. I can't stand the liberal garbage ESPN puts on anymore like His and Hers or Lebatard's shows.

Get rid of the women, holy shit.

I mean one or two on the sidelines is fine, but women shouldn't be hosting the show. No one cares if your figure is covered up by a desk.

>People tune in to ESPN to escape the daily shit that's going on
>Nonstop SJW bullcrap with shitload of clueless females on their tv screens

Member when they used to show lumber jack and strong man compitions on the weekends
Sumo wrestling late at night
Had decent original series

>No one cares if your figure is covered up by a desk
keked

>Nonstop SJW bullcrap
and this is why they are going to shit

Oh look it's another thread where poorfags try to convince themselves that everyone else is poor like them.

I have directv. It costs $120 a month. It's called having a job and not living alone.

>ESPN
>having to pay for Poker, Skiing, Lumberjack games, Women's Volleyball, Triathalon, Spelling Bees and other non-sports just so you can watch the football in 2016

Gee I wonder why they're losing subscribers.

Weird how you all know so much about ESPN and yet claim to never watch it because you "cut the cord."

Tfw barstool takes espn over.

Cord cutter never cut the cord they just use friends parents sisters log on id yo watch on their neighbors wifi

I know, hence my use of quotation marks.

why would espn think something like the undefeated is good for their bottom line.

>120 freedom credits per month for tv
lyl

ameridumbs will never know how to make a good sports show like this.
youtu.be/DS5OFtDD3iQ

>watching a fat fuck on a tub with hired women
wew lad

I wonder how Fox Sports is doing. I switched to watching them recently and I know many people do the same.

Damn, I don't watch espn anymore, but did they really get rid of this shit for esports and whatever? Waking up and watching some obscure sports was the shit back in the day.

Both have shit ratings and low sponsorship - but vidya literally have a fuckton of companies looking to more ways to advertise bright keyboards.

a fat corrupt guy actually, a greasy scumbag that spent half of the time telling how awesome and rich he was, a mix between berlusconi and trump.

Let's say ESPN stop trying to push football through everyone's throats and got rid of le meme culture? Sportsnation is cringeworthy.

LeBatard is great, get out of here!

No Trajano, no future for ESPN

>you don't get the show!
t. Papi

>talking about 7-1 espn
Fuck off.

>forced black anchors
>Forced blonde anchors
>""""""Esports"""""""
>SJW Bait
>Literally broadcasting the most unpopular sports teams / matchups
>POKERPOKERPOKERPOKER
>ESPN XBOX App is still complete shit

Let it die. Nothing of value will be lost

Yeah it's terrible watching them trying to make us like soccer, nobody here gives a shit when the world cup isn't on.

oh fuck right off, soccer is growing in popularity every year. it will soon surpass hockey and boreball

MLB revenue: $8 billion
MLS revenue: $0.5 billion

Yep, any day now.

>le boreball meme XDD
Fuck off.

Also, for fucks sake eurocucks, soccer is rigged.

They have been saying this every year for decades. Besides, being a "popular" sport doesn't mean people care, or that it's worth shoving down our throats on ESPN. You don't hear people in georgia talking about the latest hockey moves in free agency or west coasters talking about that great lacrosse highlight because some things are just going to be niche in certain places. Cascadia might actually care about soccer, but nobody fucking else does.

Nobody cares about a channel, we want live interactive programming.

>watch Sportcenter for the first time in years a few days ago
>10 minute segment about that basketball player playing for Wisconsin who can't handle the banter and wants all the crackers expelled from college
>featuring Colin Kaepernick
>no actual sports highlights for a good 20 minute stretch

No wonder nobody wants to pay ESPN bloated fees anymore.

>All the ESPN shows right now shitting on the new president
>saying everyone is "Scared," An how the NBA is somehow in the forefront of this whole thing where people are looking for guidance from them
>brings up fucking JR Smith

This shit right here is why people are getting tired of their shit. They are acting like they are so superior and talk about shit that doesn't even involve sports. I'm not looking to see what JR Smith says about the election with his dindu ass.

>he's wearing a gold chain so that he clan have something to clip the microphone to

kek

It's true. Commentator isn't even a fucking work it just got made up for that position. I'm tired of watching washed up old athletes trot on camera and say menial bull shit just because they used to play. LT in NFLN is pretty witty though, I wasn't expecting that out of him.

Look how dead Sup Forums has been all week. No decent sport on and this place is a ghost town. People want live sport. ESPN barely has any these days. And people don't pay 600 a year for their social commentery

MLS is nowhere near the most popular league. That's like judging American footballs popularity in Mexico by how much money the Mexican handegg league makes

Wow. Who knew that non-stop SJW stories, dumb cunts who know fuck all about sports, and letting go of your top sports journalists would cause your company to lose customers.

Wew lads.

Bomani is so negative. I don't neccesarily dislike what he is saying, but more that he seems like an uset child during every fucking broadcast.

>people canceling cable because they realize they are getting screwed and it is not worth it
>somehow Sup Forums thinks this means they are specifically dropping ESPN

Great. ESPN is the only reason nigger ball is still alive here. ESPN dies and we can pack up the NBA and move it to China already

>paying 120$ shekels for direct tv

lmao kid. You really think we can't watch ESPN? Every hue and gook on this board streams it for free

Probably because it's now the 24/7 apehoop channel

I wish these fucking cunts could collapsed here too

Its because they deleted the old comment section
>you will never get to spam primetime matchups with bill ontario ever again

remember battle of the gridiron stars? or was that on a different channel?

could someone actually do a live broadcast on twitch or hitbox or something commentating and have viewers interacting with the commentators? like people actually watch people play video games surely that could catch on

>hating on esports and poker

traditional sports won't allow dank memes

> spanish version shows soccer
> american version shows sports Americans are most concerned with
I knew liberals were retarded when it came to basic econ but shit this takes the cake.

ESPN2 is showing drone racing right now. Drone racing. Who is in charge of their programming choices?

Estuda castellano, gringón

>espn dying
>basketball will go with it
>football losing popularity
>hockey will always be niche
>soccer is gay

baseball is coming back lads. though desu baseball will be fucked too without cable. They do have the best streaming services, but they'll have to do something about the shitty blackouts eventually

MLB.tv is the best subscription sports streaming service of any sport.

Tell Pablo Torre to stop telling me how to think

yeah except you can't watch your fucking home team. obviously if cable goes there won't be blackouts since there will be nowhere else to watch, but some of the tv deals teams have span decades

>600k conservatives/moderates finally cut ties w/ a shitty leftist media conglomerate

fify

Don't worry amerifats.

When drumpf kills net neutrality you will be forced to pay for this to get access to more than just Facebook.

bring back skip

he was literally carrying that network on his back

Someone at ESPN still has a hateboner for Kobe (and the Lakers by extension)

Maybe if they gave him his due, people would like them more.

>television as we know it is dying

They just found out now?

this. And let's not forget discovery which was a super chill channel back in the day and now is basically just THE DEADLIEST MONSTERS presented by some hicks with boring jobs with exciting music. And fuckin tlc maaannnnnn

I watched that though. Pretty neat. Not as good as the Spelling Bee, but slightly better than Arm Wrestling

Rather have that than random basketball higlights, the 50th NFL fantasy segment or anything like His & Hers

>less lebatard

make an eSports channel

twitch/google already got the monopoly

i don't get it, how do you ONLY drop ESPN?

breitbart.com/sports/2016/11/10/espns-brady-wonders-network-liberal/
ESPN investigates, says no we are not too liberal. Meanwhile conservative employees are forced to hide their opinions to keep their jobs.

The media and the political parties just refuse to listen to the people of the country, and are surprised when they get their shit pushed in. I don't want to listen to people screaming thall whites should die, and I don't want to pay to listen to some 75 IQ ex tackle tell me about politics.

that show fucking sucks and they spend half of it playing shitty youtube videos like SportsNation

>MTV airs retarded brain rot instead of music videos
lel yeah music videos are such brain teasers

around the time SportsNation was created is when ESPN completely dropped.

>trump is president
>pc bullshit bringing ratings down for E! spn

i think we're gonna make it lads