What's Sup Forums's thoughts on THE NEW WORLD...

What's Sup Forums's thoughts on THE NEW WORLD? I just bought it today having not seen it and went with the Extended Cut for my first time, and I'm still processing it. The last three minutes or so were unbearably beautiful. I'm eager to see the theatrical cut now.

b-bump

Don't waste your time. Sup Forums doesn't dicuss this anymore. It's either capeshit, zombieshit, starshit, or Throneshit.

It's Malick best movie

Also the extended cut is the best version.

Worse than Badlands, Days of Heaven, The Thin Red Line, and The Tree of Life imo

still better than the overwhelming amount of shlock out there.

Yeah, it's beautiful. Gonna cop the Criterion eventually.

I like Malick, but I HATED it. I feel like I usually get what he's doing, but it felt like nothing clicked in this one.

Watch it again but watch it more carefully.

Extended cut? Fuck me... I thought the regular was long

It introduced me to Malick, beautiful movie.

I didn't know Criterion picked it up, but I've been meaning to watch it again for years now.

I've seen it twice, it would be a waste of time to try it again.

Fuck off.
That's how I felt about it the first time I saw it. Then again it was the first movie i saw from him so that might have been a part of it. But anyway, I watched it again and it's pretty good.

wait, nvm I've only seen the extended. Thank god.

>he got criterioncucked
$40 for a movie when you could have got the original bluray for $20 lmao

I got the Criterion for 22 dollars, sale price at Bull Moose.

>tfw she was 14 during filming

this has been lying on my hard drive for months

How comparable is it to the Tree of Life?

Not really comparable. It's just a mellow, beautiful, simple telling of the "Pocahontas" story.

If I recall there was a huge unavoidable disconnect between the romance set against the backdrop of the Natives vs Settlers battles. Tonally I don't remember the conflict and the romance working well at all, the conflict was the far more interesting but it was never given proper credence or narrative preference, rather most of the time is spent on a very unwarranted romantic plot that doesn't thematically match the war that is used as the backdrop. This is particularly strange as the existential and religious musing of The Thin Red Line was perfectly punctuated and reinforced by the travesty of the war conflict, even down to the small details like a discussion about how man is at war with nature and the film ends in the wilderness after they had destroyed the beautiful scenery of the fields. The Thin Red Line was really cohesive with its setting and the conflicts the characters feel, whereas it couldn't feel any less distant in The New World. Even Pocahontas matches its romantic and conflict plots better, so Malick basically had the blueprint for this very movie two times over yet it still doesn't mesh well at all. Though it's probably one of his best looking movies, also great use of Wagner.

bump for Terry!

The Criterion bluray of The New World is $25 from Barnes & Noble right now and most others are $20.

simply beautiful
among my top 5 favorite films
great music, great performances

and the way nature itself, and the landscape serve to move the narrative along, like actual characters... many try that, few achieve it.