im doing my therapy internship

AMA

(at rehab hospital)

Other urls found in this thread:

neetpussy.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Craziest experience?

hmmm
most of the patients are kept up with pretty well, some times they might try to leave their room or something but most of them cant walk so thats rare

i think some of the more crazy stuff is what you learn about your patients and how they got there

Did you get to know any of the patients?

What's your degree in?

I'm about to finish my MSW, been working in an inpatient mental health unit in the US for the last 3 years.

you get to know them through their paper work initially, which you find out some details about them in general, what all happened to them and why they were referred to your facility. then you go in for your initial eval and get to work with them some.

depends on how high or low functioning they are cognitively. You learn a ton from their family or lack of family

had one guy who was beat lose half his brain/skull

family hardly stopped by, took his clothes, one of his siblings tried to OD bc she was partly to blame for his condition

music therapy
so do you do a lot of case management?
you get a lot of juicy details with that job

>therapy
Therapy is for the weak

I can respond to this one, I'm not OP but I have been working in a hospital with mental health patients for a bit.

I've seen just about everything it seems, but every day it's something slightly surprising. I've stopped people from killing themselves, I've seen people kill themselves. I've had a knife pulled on me a couple times (used to work in the ER mental health suite area). I've restrained people before, don't feel real good about that.

Talked to a lot of psychotic people in my currently role at the hospital doing group therapy. Never the same day at the hospital.

Dumb profession kys

Not any case management yet, that's sort of where social workers go when they burn out. I'm a clinical social worker, basically just doing talk therapy with a slightly different frame of view from LPCCs or LMFTs. There are social workers in the unit with me who just do discharge planning, which is basically case management.

I started in the hospital as a mental health associate, basically like a bachelor's degree holding floor staff. Sucked pretty bad. Sat on a lot of 1-to-1's with people who were acutely suicidal. Now I do the group therapies and assessments of people, talk to psychiatrists on consultations and stuff and don't get treated like complete shit.

so how did you move up from getting treated like shit to getting more respect?

being an intern i am pretty low on the totem pole, but I get shit even from the RT, OT, and PT's at one of the facilities I go to. then again, i am the only guy in the room, they are all girls

Honestly I moved up by 1)being pretty decent at my job and 2) almost finishing my masters degree. I started talking to my supervisor casually about how I may have to leave the hospital cause I can't keep up with my current hours per week and my school work. She called me up and offered me a better job for less hours a week. Basically my supervisor was trying to keep me from getting another job.

It's good being the only guy, I'm speaking as a guy who was only working with females for a while. You get to avoid all the absurd politics that will go on.

Dead thread

i dunno about the last part about the politics.
its like literally watching the view live every day at lunch. sooo much hypocrisy. today they were talking about how bustle sprouts gave them gas and how they would fart in clients rooms that werent conscious

hmmm, once i get a real job i hope to move up and actually do something rather than the same old shit over and over

if anything, it'll feel better to get paid for what you're doing. Remember, you work to live, not work to live.

Finish up your degree. As someone who's about to wrap one up, I'm definitely looking forward to how much money I'm gonna be making.

live to work, not work to live

well im looking forward to finishing it
bit worried about the licensing board test but I think I can do it.

thanks for the chat user, I appreciate it

I already did my internship and am getting licensed.

What is your favorite therapeutic technique besides CBT?

hmmm, well, I cant say that I have a favorite

we do a lot of melodic speech stim, some RAS, MSS for word sequencing, melodic intonation ex.
OMRex,

I think the one I enjoy most is during executive functions tasks, like word scrambles or word sequencing. to see if you can spot a pattern in their aphasia

but as far as a favorite i cannot say for sure
maybe theraputic singing or playing because i actually get to play something, and i enjoy playing along with patients who sing or play instruments

Oh you're a music therapist - didn't read the thread. None of that means anything to me, lol.

hahahaha

no problem

i had to look up what cbt was
for cbt with depression we do lyric analysis, and performance for experiencing different thoughts and emotions in a different perspective and through instruments they can "paint" their mindset and detail it. then let the song progress into a different story, to try and bring some resolution or some new outlook on the situation we created/experienced.

not sure if you had any interest in reading that

No it's great - I'm always looking for different methods to reach clients. Everyone benefits differently from different techniques.

my only fear whenever I do that or even bring song lyrics to analyze is opening up doors to someones past that they had suppressed and doing more harm than good.

I find ambient music, which is abstract and has no form, something they can play and have absolutely no skill or experience in music playing, is a great format to let them explore sound. like walking into a room of an evolving scenario with no narrative except for the one that the patient plays out or experience.

>opening up doors to someones past that they had suppressed and doing more harm than good.

Well, talking about things that someone keeps "repressed" is pretty much what therapy is all about. So I wouldn't think it's doing harm - unless it gets brought up and not processed properly and they have to sit with it.

Do you like neet pussy? neetpussy.com

well, i know that that is the point of it, in dealing with this kind of patient, but i prefer to do it systematic.

most of the time these things would be done in group sessions and it would be best for one on one sessions to be doing those things because the client is reexperiencing and also trying to suppress because there are peers around them.

that was mainly my reasoning for that

I should have explained that earlier