Attention musicfags:

Attention musicfags:

How hard is it to learn your average instrument?

What all do you have to know? Is it just memorizing what notes you play + muscle memory?

How easy/cool are these to play?

>Harmonica
>Classical Guitar
>Lute (A bit pricey)
>Oud (A bit pricey)
>Saxophone

Any other cool instruments to play that are portable and cheap?

Finally, how many songs should you know how to play?

Other urls found in this thread:

musictheory.net/
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

EZ takes time tho

first learn basic MM
then study theory

harmonica
>piano with lips
Guitar
>fingering and pussy slaying
Lute
>fingering and slayeth of the pussay
Oud
>look above
Saxophone
>Do you like jazz

pic related

First that come to mind are the uke, guitar, piccolo. basic bitch shit

On my first instruments I can play scores on sight.

What's basic MM and musical theory?

I've only learned to play hot cross buns on the recorder and took a Music Appreciation class in college so I'm basically a musical babby.

I currently need a sax player to do a solo on a Roger Waters song I'm covering. Get at me.

Must have a halfway decent mic.
Cellphones don't count as a halfway decent mic, faggot

It's easy in the end but it takes a lot of time to practice regularly. It can be hard not to lose interest in the beginning, but after some months/years of practice it will definitely pay off.

If you like big band stuff or jazz I'd recommend the trumpet.

>Is it just memorizing what notes you play + muscle memory

This will get you as far as being able to play already-written stuff, but if you want to compose your own stuff, it helps a ton to have a little theory background.

A good start for the theory would be figuring out the notes for the 12 major scales and their minor / harmonic minor / melodic minor counterparts (or at least knowing how to do this). Know a handful of these very well (muscle memory but also "knowledge" memory)....for major scales, C (all natural), F (one flat), E flat (two flats) and G (one sharp) are a good start, and all have their minor counterparts. Pay special attention to the third and fifth for these. Train your "mind's ear" to know what a half step, whole step, third, fourth, fifth, etc sound like. This is your "backbone" for composing.

Get a book filled with some short and basic melodies to practice from. Ask yourself *why* parts of the melodies sound good when played. You can incorporate the patterns you find together with the scale of the key you're in as a launchpad for a composition of your own.

I'm currently doing this on trumpet. You can get one of reasonable quality for like $200.

So is the time consuming part getting the muscle memory down right?

I play any stringed instrument (includes violin) as well as some piano and drums.

Honestly OP, the first instrument I learned was a guitar and I just learned it by myself. What I did was learn a few chords, played around with the instrument itself and learned some patterns, also tried mimicking songs. Eventually I got to the point where I can do whatever on it. After that I moved on to other instruments, which were not as hard as the guitar. Probably because I spent the most of my time on guitar

YOU DO NOT NEED TO KNOW MUSIC THEORY FAGGOTS, just learn the instrument and do whatever you think is good

If you are into blues music, go for the harmonica/blues harp for the beginning.
They are pretty cheap and fast to learn, also portable

a lot depends on the size of your hands. i have short, stubby troll fingers, and i've never been able to make a proper F minor bar chord, or play any kind of decent chord on a keyboard, for that matter.

also it's one of those things where some people have a definite skill for it (Devin Townsend) and others don't (Billy Bragg).

I'm taking music theory 2 with no prior musical talent, but understanding the basics of how music works isn't to hard in the right environment

muscle memory of the instrument you want to play, this can be achieved via playing you're favorite song. it will require a ridiculous amount of repetition so pick a song you enjoy hearing.

music theory is not as bad as it sounds. It's only the study of what notes sound good together, and in what order is viable. You will only need to study Western scales. I am currently working on microscales, but its a bitch for a different conversation.

>musictheory.net/
is a good site.

I was just thinking about learning to play written stuff or play some stuff like modern music and famous themes. Out of curiosity why do people learn to make music? Is it for fun? Do they do it to join a band? Do they do it to write music for a lover?

>do not need to learn music theory
>do whatever you think is good

that's what music theory is retard

ukelele is pretty cool and like a small guitar
if u have the time, guitar is sexier than uke and is not too bad to learn a few songs

There are alternative chords you can play, I rarely use the bar F chord because I find it more natural to use an alt cord. But I do like the wholeness sound of the bar chord, really it depends on the chord progression. BUT most of the time you do not need bar chord F.

Really? I thought it was just teaching you guidlines in what is considered typically "good", basically telling you what to do instead of finding out for yourself.

I'd imagine it's exhilarating to compose something that sounds good and then be able to play it well. It also makes you valuable to a band, and that'll potentially turn a profit. Making music is one of those things very, very fundamental to the human experience. We've been doing it for thousands upon thousands of years. If no one made music, we'd have no music to listen to, and I know I personally probably would've suicide'd already without it. There's great potential for psychological catharsis.

I have small hands.

Sounds cool, but not sure I could get good at playing by ear.

Ty, I'll save this.

So you just learn each note via muscle memory by playing a few songs repeatedly? I thought you basically had to muscle memory every song.

I personally don't like the ukelele's sound. I don't like acoustic guitar music either (Like John Mayer stuff), but classical guitar and some steel stringed guitars sound different for some reason. Idk why.

I just don't like that "baby music" you hear in jingles and commercials. Not sure how that's made though. I guess they play a certain kind of steel stringed guitar in a certain style or something.

That sounds nice. I thought art would be cool, but I sucked so much at it.

theory is:
"Music theory is the study of the practices and possibilities of music."

nothing to do with what's "typical.", hence it being a "theory" class instead of being called musicology.

No
think about playing music like talking.
you don't learn to talk by muscle memory of each word, but rather by the phonetics within each word and understanding the meaning behind the words(chords in this case). Then from there you will be on your way.

and playing by ear comes naturally if you do what i mentioned. Guaranteed, but you need to dedicate years of practice. and if you get bored. always switch up the songs. you should get to the point where you can play, have a conversation, and do an irish jig.

P.S small hands won't make a difference with good practice.

Im 100% sure you could learn by ear with time bro.

I remember when I first got my guitar at the store, the guy who was showing me them handed me a guitar and I tried to play it. I was so fucking bad that it didn't make a noise, it sounded like hissing tires and just trash honestly. The guy took the guitar from me and started playing it with ease, it was amazing at the time. Looking back at it now, it wasn't all too amazing, he was just playing two very easy chords. But the point was at the time I thought that was absolutely amazing and that there was no way i'd ever be that good. Just give it time

I mean, you *can* find out for yourself, but your conclusions are probably largely going to match what's already been discovered. It's also not so much about telling you what to do as much as it is giving some helpful hints as to what's likely to sound good. No matter how you cut it, sometimes two notes, when played together, naturally "clash". Perhaps you want to have that "clash" and perhaps you don't; music theory is just there to help you figure out when there will be synergy or when there'll be "clash". For example, a note + a half step up isn't ever going to sound "nice", but a note + 2 whole steps up will. Try it out for yourself on an online keyboard.

Ultimately you, the composer, have complete control over your composition. Do whatever you think should be done.

Yeah i've figured out that something just don't work with eachother. Other times its really weird and I can't tell if it works or not. But I guess thats good then, probably would have been a lot more helpful to me when I was first starting. A bit too late now, but I like the idea of i, just a compiled finding on the things people figured out about music

Also how do people form bands? I don't like acoustic guitar music or blues and am interested in some unusual instruments (Like mentioned above) so I'm not sure if I could be in a band. I'd need to play the music I love and that'd be autistic shit that's all over the place like renaissance songs, video game/TV show themes, and some classic modern songs.

finding people with common interests is the hardest, go to a gaming cafe, or a college campus club.

Roger Waters? My nigga, what song?

I learned mandolin because I thought it would be neat and different. Now people usually ask "wtf is a mandolin" and "why didn't you just learn guitar, faggot". So. Go with guitar.

You're gonna wanna kill yourself with any instrument because muscle memory is a bitch to get down
If for some reason you decide to play bass or guitar
>LEARN HOW TO USE THE PICK FIRST THEN MOVE ONTO FINGER STUFF
Fingering your instrument, or at least learning how, is easier than learning how to pick and never having used a pick

>wtf is a mandolin
100% plebian. You don't need their approval anyways OP.

agreed, people say shit like that to me all the time.
100% autism. It's the same kind of people who say "do you know how to play *obscure song by the fuckall unknown favorite band by them*. You should learn it."

>How hard is it to learn your average instrument?

Just as hard as anything else worth doing. Spend the time, learn the skill. That's so completely generically true it hardly bears questioning.

If you're lazy, just give up now and playing vidya.

It's as hard as you make it. You can put in the 8 hours a day to become virtuosic on your selected medium i.e. violin, dj decks, theremin; alternatively, eschewing from tutorials and lessons so as to develop a more intimate relationship with the sounds you produce and potentially a more personal affect on your audience.
Of course, both methodologies can be put into practice but you'd better have a lot of time, patience and love for music most importantly to become god tier shit like herbie hancock, miles davis, art tatum etc