I'm a basic bitch when it comes to Blues. I basically know Robert Johnson, BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm a basic bitch when it comes to Blues. I basically know Robert Johnson, BB King and Stevie Ray Vaughan.

What should I listen to? Where to find some albums (now that What.cd is dead and gone)?

Pls help.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y4OVzSuRRMA
youtube.com/watch?v=JlmsK59ncHs
youtube.com/watch?v=Jgncwm9cMio
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here are some of my favorites and some generally important artists.
>Skip James - Devil Got my Woman (Highly Recommended if you like Robert Johnson)
>Luke Jordan - Cocaine Blues
>Blind BoyFuller - Rag, Mama, Rag
>Big Joe Williams - Crawlin' King Snake
>Son House - My Black Mama
>Charley Patton - Shake It and Break It But (Don't Let It Fall Mama)
>Blind Willie Johnson - Nobody's Fault but Mine
>Mississippi John Hurt - Nobody's Dirty Business

Assuming you meant Traditional Blues, depending on what you like from these, I can further recommend you.

Thank you, man. You're a life saviour.

I don't mind what time is it from, I listened to some Gary BB Coleman, Mighty Sam McClain, Freddy Cole and Christian Wilisohn these past couple days thanks to a friend, I think I enjoy basically everything that is Blues at this point.

For Delta Blues and early electric blues:

Son House, Blind Willie McTell, Blind Lemon Jefferson, Charley Patton, Blind Willie Johnson(lotta blind guys), both Sonny Boy Williamsons, Howlin Wolf.

Lotta good music in this genre. Check out the Library of Congress recordings, it's a good jumping off point. Basically the depression killed the recording industry in the mid/late 30's, and a lot of blues artists left the scene and got real jobs. To preserve the history of the genre(it includes western and folk as well), a historian with funding from Congress travelled around and recorded many of the prominent musicians of the era.

>To preserve the history of the genre(it includes western and folk as well), a historian with funding from Congress travelled around and recorded many of the prominent musicians of the era.
That actually sounds amazing that someone would go to those lengths to keep the music on record.

>The amount of Blind lads
Caught off guard for a minute there, thanks for the recommends!

No problem.
I might add to check these songs by these artists
>Blind Willie McTell - Come on Around to My House, Mama
>Blind Lemon Jefferson - All I Want Is That Pure Religion
>Sonny Boy Williamson - Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl
>Howlin' Wolf - Spoonful

Of course though, you are invited to listen to more than once song by any of these artists, as they have a lot of good releases, this is just kind of like a starting point.

>The amount of Blind lads

It's funny, but if you think about it blacks in the southern states were all sharecroppers at the time, but if you were blind you that job wasn't really an option. So they picked up guitars to make a living.

Yes those are all great. My favorite from Willie McTell is Statesboro Blues, which most know from The Allman Bro's cover.

Statesboro Blues is great as well, early McTell is my favorite McTell. Don't really enjoy his late period.

I'm really digging Howlin Wolf and Skip James so far. I think this is one of those genres you just fall in love with from the start.

Any documentary you'd recommend about the history of Blues? Sounds like an interesting topic to learn about.

Leadbelly is essential. Try some Henry Thomas or Charley Patton if you wanna.

It's very interesting, and a lot is still unknown today. I took a class on it in college. Not really sure what to recommend other than Wikipedia.

Will do, the name Leadbelly is familiar as fuck. Thanks, man.

>Blues class in college
Jelly, those privileges are usually reserved for music students and seminars.

Bump pls.

Best Blues song out there imo, and the subject matter makes anyone nowaways writing depressing lyrics look like a whiny little bitch.

youtube.com/watch?v=y4OVzSuRRMA

Charley Patton is the best

HIGH WATER EVERYWHERE

Frank Zappa

This is what really got me in to blue. So many collections are just a random bunch of royalty free shit they scraped up but this is a great 20 disc survey. Think most of the discs can be downloaded here.

https unclegil blog spot co uk/search?q=TRIOMPHES+blues

For a deeper look at early blues get Document Records releases.

That dude must've been so tough to have a conversation with. Imagine trying to take his order at a restaurant.

It is pretty good.
Sounds good, thanks.
I'll search for it online in hopes to find it. Thanks, lad.

I hardly ever listing to blues... but hell do I love this:

youtube.com/watch?v=JlmsK59ncHs

youtube.com/watch?v=Jgncwm9cMio