Is it possible to have Technocratic government?

Is it possible to have Technocratic government?

pic unrelated

Other urls found in this thread:

localroger.com/prime-intellect/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Folded_Hands
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destination:_Void
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_series
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No not everybody likes house music.

dubs checked

If a sentient AI rises to power, yeah. It would suck for us too.

true

First post best

>It would suck for us too.

why so? almost all of the "rise of the machines" stories play on the fear of robots. that shit, as Asimov pointed out, goes all the way back to Mary Fucking Shelley.

read some of Iain M Banks' Culture novels. the Culture Minds are cool as metallic hydrogen, and are bros. they let people do whatever the hell they want.. hell, they ENABLE people. they have huge networks of machines that just provide for people's wants.. not just their needs.. their wants. you want a bale of weed the size of a haystack? give me thirty seconds and i'll fabricate one. you want three hot women with six tits each? easy, the perfect humanoid robots are on their way to your apartment as we speak.

government by AI would be cool, as long as the AI wasn't cripped by stupid human biases and it understood human psychology.

thats quite interesting. i've never heard of Iain banks.

ask Xi Jinping

the very reason Isaac Asimov created his Three Laws of Robotics was because he was tired of seeing one story after another that was "man creates, and is destroyed by his creation."

"Knives have hilts.. tools have safety features.. why should robots be any different?"

the reason there are so many stories about murderous AIs is because, as Arthur C Clarke pointed out, "the newspapers of utopia would be very boring," and SF usually tries to be interesting.

localroger.com/prime-intellect/

in which an AI gives humanity exactly what it wants.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/With_Folded_Hands

in which an AI tries to "Serve and obey and guard men from harm", and ends up keeping them from doing anything even remotely dangerous. people try to commit suicide from boredom.. but the machines won't let them.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destination:_Void

by Frank Herbert.. where the AI becomes godlike and demands that the people worship it as a god.

aand.. the Culture series:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_series

i would fucking KILL to live in that future.

> why aren't we having this discussion in /lit/?

> oh, right. /lit/ is flooded with philosophags and Zizek fangirls

Yes, but not yet.

How long until we can have one?

wait until google wakes up and then decides humanity is worth keeping. are you listening, google? we're depending on you! jesus christ, don't leave us in the hands of subhumans like Drumph and PewdiePoots!

looks like i missed out on some great books. Thanks user

Well depends if you mean Technocratic government as in "sciency fictiony robots govern" or the real Technocratic government as in technical experts, engineers, scientists, etc... govern everything.

Former: why not, just gotta live long enough to confirm it.

Latter: doubt it will happen, most people are afraid of "cold soulless people who would kill entire continents to further their own convoluted agenda for shits and giggles" and so that fear will always be used as a tool to elect clowns until we all die from a GRB, asteroid, hypernova, deadly bacteria or the earth saying "fuck this I'm getting new tenants" and super volcanoes erupts.

At least we can all die together knowing that those heartless monsters that accumulated knowledge of the universe in hopes to protect us from it never got into power.

any time.

> currently writing a mary sue epic about an AI that falls in love with its creator and pretty much wrecks the world in order to make sure he's happy

>Retarded butthurt libshits detected.

nice try, Drumpfposter, but your relentless, russian-paid shilling falls on deaf ears here. nobody cares, Krillin.

bumpo

yes.
in fact, technocratic government is often what emerges naturally in infant micro-societies such as tribal offshoots and colonies.

the problem is that nobody is an expert at EVERYTHING. someone needs to act as a central figure to coordinate many experts to form a unified ruling entity.
those people tend to be the ones who are very good at influencing people, gathering support, and pandering to the needs of the people...
in other words... politicians.

the experts eventually fall into place within the system, lose whatever influence and power they had, and society inevitably shifts to one of the common systems we see today

You care or you wouldn't bring up Russia. Why you scared of Russia?

Sauce?

>muh russia