Was he the most overrated talentless hack to ever make horror movies?

Was he the most overrated talentless hack to ever make horror movies?

Rob Zombie by a country mile

House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects are great though

Agree. In Paris right now, and jesus christ can't they pick a better director for a retrospective at the god damn cinematheque francaise. I swear sometimes the french like old movies just because they were blockbusters at the time of release in america, and when america gets over them the french start hailing them as "forgotten classics"

>A Nightmare on Elm Street
>Wes Craven's New Nightmare
>Scream
>Scream 2
>The Serpent and the Rainbow
>The Last House on the Left
>Red Eye
>talentless hack
Fuck off, faggots. Craven made a lot of shit but he also made some classics that changed horror forever.

A Nightmare on Elm Street is infinitely better than both of them.

this probably.

He made 2 passable flicks but every thing since has been varying degrees of garbage.

They're okay at best, and everything else he's done is utter shit

I know I'm in the minority here, but Wes Craven's filmography except for scream, Halloween (love Carpenter's other stuff), and Texas Chainsaw Massacre are shit movies. Just because they made money and influenced movies that made a bunch of money doesn't mean they aren't shit, it just means they helped develop the cult of fake horror fans that don't actually care about a movie beyond spilling their popcorn

No. They are trash. He is shit

>Texas Chainsaw Massacre
>shit movie
Wow, kill yourself. It's a fucking flawless horror film.
>they helped develop the cult of fake horror fans
You sound like a pretentious faggot.

>a "horror" movie that even children would find a comedy
>shitty meta flicks
>mediocre adaptation of a book
>shitty exploitation
>pitiful attempt at thriller with the same shitty cliches present in Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream because because Craven was incapable of being genuinely creative

>people who like these acclaimed, influential movies that I don't like aren't true horror fans like me

I would bet a ton of money you've never read The Serpent and the Rainbow.

>a "horror" movie that even children would find a comedy
It's a widely acclaimed movie that still scares plenty of people.
>shitty meta flicks
What's wrong with meta?
It's a great movie, I don't give a shit if it's unfaithful to the book.
>shitty exploitation
By exploitation standards, it's pretty good.
>pitiful attempt at thriller with the same shitty cliches present in Nightmare on Elm Street and Scream because because Craven was incapable of being genuinely creative
List these cliches.

>It's a widely acclaimed, so it's good
>still scares plenty of people.
You mean, people who are complete idiots?
>What's wrong with meta?
Everything when it's not even slightly clever and just HORROR MOVIES ARE STUPID
AMIRITE? XD
>List these cliches.
>campy unthreatening villain
>Craven's distinct obnoxious dialogue
>obligatory cheesy "villain chases a TUFF girl who fights back by making him even more of a complete joke" scene
>older than the protagonist characters are generally useless and annoying throughout the film only to be helpful in the end

>You mean, people who are complete idiots?
Ebin, do you have any real criticisms of A Nightmare on Elm Street or are you just gonna keep saying "it's bad because I say so and everyone who disagrees with me is an idiot"?

Scream was fucking awful.
>hey kids, remember THOSE OLD MOVIES? WAIT DO YOU REMEMBER THIS ONE BY JOHN CARPENTER?
>goofy villain that even a kid with downs could take it
>goofy costume
>that dumb "plot twist"
IT WAS ME CINDY

How about these?.
It's not scary. It's not even unsettling or , It's pretty much a generic summer blockbuster of horror.
It has potential to be a really creative and terrifying horror movie and does nothing with it beyond being a dull slasher flick with slightly more creativity than your average slasher flick, which isn't even a high bar.

>campy unthreatening villain
Nothing wrong with a bit of camp, Cillian Murphy delivered a very entertaining performance.
>Craven's distinct obnoxious dialogue
Top kek, he had no hand in writing the screenplay.
>obligatory cheesy "villain chases a TUFF girl who fights back by making him even more of a complete joke" scene
Eh, maybe that's a bit cliche but I didn't mind it.
>older than the protagonist characters are generally useless and annoying throughout the film only to be helpful in the end
Who gives a shit? What's wrong with a movie focusing on young people?

*or unnerving.

List your favourite scary horror films. That genuinely frighten you still.

It's not generic, when it came out practically every slasher movie was a silent guy wearing a mask stabbing kids. Freddy and his kills were very unique in 1984. You think it's generic because so many slashers have been influenced by it.

Those are literally 0/10 movies.

The Summerfag is strong in this one.

Wow, these criticisms are so shallow you might as well have just said "it's bad because I say so".

All I received was "it's good because I said so", so how about you give some meatier arguments next time if you want to receive something substantial too?

I didn't say the movie itself was generic, just that it has as much substance as a generic action flick.

>Nothing wrong with a bit of camp
It is when a supposedly tense scene is ruined by a villain being a fucking joke.
>Top kek, he had no hand in writing the screenplay.
Weird, I could've sworn it sounds like People Under The Stairs or NoES.
> What's wrong with a movie focusing on young people?
Nothing? What's wrong is the artificial feeling of helplessness that is achieved by more adult than protagonist(s) people being retards that is so fake it takes out of the movie.

You were shitting on it and Wes Craven before I defended it. Your arguments from the very beginning have been "it's bad because I say so". You're the one who started this and you're the one who's making outrageous claims. You provide a substantial argument, faggot.

i like wes craven a lot. i hope he plans on making something again soon

user...

You know what, if you can be scared by a shitty clown in a fedora, absense of any meaningful atmosphere, Home Alone-tier traps, terrible even by its time special effects and everyone being an idiot to comedic degrees then you are an idiot.

>absense of any meaningful atmosphere
>terrible even by its time special effects

List your favourite scary horror films. That genuinely frighten you still.

>NoES atmosphere
>not awfully bland compared to Halloween, Black Christmas or TCM
Those are not even good and they have a much better atmosphere.
>obvious syrup spraying
>the "Freddy obviously grabbing a mannequin" scene in the end
>scene with dead mother
>not awful
This is the only good practical effect in all of NoES is the claw and Freddy's face appearing on the wall and looming over the sleeping bitch.

Compare to good practical effects like The Thing's which came two years earlier and actually looked good.

The plot twist was really shit

He's dead.

>Not liking Deadly Friend

This movie is hilarious.

No horror movies are legitimentally scary