ITT: Potential 10/10 movies ruined by 0/10 actors

ITT: Potential 10/10 movies ruined by 0/10 actors.

Only thing I remember about the movie is how cool Godzilla was. Mission accomplished I guess.

Funnily enough, Godzilla '98 could have been a damn-near 10/10 movie if the majority of the cast weren't either complete shit or instantly forgettable.

>ruined by 0/10 actors.

I thought godzilla did a fine job. or are you talking about the other actors in the movie? the irrelevant ones?

basically every movie with Samuel L. Jackson

>Sam L hurt my peepee by being in the movie :(

Go be wrong somewhere else

He was one of the highlights of Die Hard 3.

>Godzilla barely got any screentime
>10/10 movie
eat shit, OP

is that all?

>pay 10 dollars to watch a godzilla movie
>i get a movie about a generic US army soldier and his family with silhouettes of godzilla in the background

The action and effects weren't the movies downfalls. The problem was the writing not focusing enough on Godzilla and Quickass as the lead role. Having Godzilla foreshadowed before the Mutos appeared (and not in the 50's clips at the beginning) would have fixed it.

Her face almost ruined it for me.

>ITT: People who have never seen a Godzilla film.

>The Heroic Tale of Son McBomberson
>10/10
>Godzilla is barely in it
>10/10
>nothing but "LOL JK" cutaways anytime Godzilla is near the screen to piss off the audience
>10/10
>2 Award winning actors, Cranston, killed off right away, and Watanabe, reduced to a stereotypical muh WW2
>10/10

>basically every movie with James Earl Jones

You mean 0/10 directors. The amount of teasing in this film ruined it.

>MUTO at the airport
>Big entrance for Godzilla
>Monsters face off
>Cut to kid watching television

>Female MUTO wakes up
>Starts to walk towards buildings
>Cut away to talking
>Come back with the city already destroyed and the MUTO leaving

>Let them fight
>Monsters get a big entrance
>Godzilla and MUTO start to charge
>Close door, cut away to Not-Cranston staring at nothing

There is a massive difference between building up hype and just milking it to the point of no care. I honestly stopped being interested once the fight actually happened.

>Watanabe, reduced to a stereotypical muh WW2

When isn't this the case for him? He never plays anything but a stereotype

Gozilla was never going to be a 10/10 movie. It's another cash-in reboot made by committee.

>"Why are you chewing gum"?
>"It makes me look American".
What did he mean by this?

>The action and effects weren't the movies downfalls.
I disagree, especially when you had many scenes where Godzilla and the MUTOs are about to face off and then suddenly the camera cuts to something else. That is a big deal braker for me.

I like Sam Jackson, but I see what you mean. His presence in any movie is distracting.

Nah I did not like the young main actor.

Cranston should have been the lead throughout and the story about him losing his wife and then his son. Then we have the scene on the subway where he tries to help the asian kid find his parents as now the scene makes more sense with Cranston going thru deep emotions of loss but also making himself feel better by helping parents get their son back.

Why does Samuel L always scream in movies when he delivers his lines?

>THIS.. KONG.. IS A.. BIG THREAT!
Not his actual lines but you get my point

meme

>That bs argument

They key to a Godzilla film is using his limited time wisely, and the movie used it poorly. Virtually every scene of him is building him up to do nothing, with no satisfaction given. Monster Zero had roughly 5 minutes of monsters in total, but it worked because we got a lot of great stuff out of it.
>Godzilla and Rodan in space
>Godzilla, Rodan, and Ghidorah going on a rampage
>Fast paced tag team match of Godzilla and Rodan fighting Ghidorah to a standstill

You have a lot of Godzilla movies that do that. Big G only had 3 real scenes in GvMG2, and its fantastic because an entire story is told, ending with a motherfucking Kaiju getting character development in the span of 7ish minutes of screentime (Rodan).

So true.

>"You dont like me because im white".
>"No I dont like you because you are gonna get us killed!"

Yup. It's not that I don't like him, but he takes me out of movies.

>inb4 "The original Godzilla film didnt show Godzilla until the very end".
BULLSHIT!

I watched the 1954 Japanese Godzilla and he is wrecking stuff and killing people right from the first second of the movie. There is no family subplot. All the main characters are dedicated to finding out who is causing the wreckage until at around 25 minutes we see the head of Godzilla appearing from a hill. So yes Godzilla was very acting in the original Japanese one and it also was very scientific with a scientist finding an extinct creature in a wreckagr and facts are brought up about it, and then dangers of nuclear war etc.

It did not at all focus on family issues as this 2014 one did but was more scientific and Godzilla focused.

Tarantino is the only person who knows what to do with him. I blame the people he works with just as much as him.

Samuel was brilliant in Django. How come? He was actually playing a very strong unique character.

The actors aren't exactly what ruined Godzilla 2014. It began during the marketing campaign, with amazing trailers seemingly pointing to Godzilla himself as being some horrible, world ending entity. And then I went to the movie and I got a little confused when I saw Godzilla in the opening credits. I mean, why would they do that? Why would they show him right there? Obviously not all of him, but it ruined any tension just by letting us KNOW he exists. And not only that, but the government and pretty much all the important characters also already know he exists. So they spend like half the movie explaining to a dumbass and the only character that doesn't know about Godzilla that Godzilla exists, something we the audience have known from 30 seconds in.

Not only that, the story itself is totally fucked by even having the MUTOs in the first place, especially with the deceitful marketing making it look like Godzilla is the bad guy. Him hunting the MUTOs out of some absurd instinct to save the Earth is the dumbest shit I've ever heard. Even when Godzilla is a hero in the old films he does it because he wants to, here he might as well be some dumb animal going about his daily to do list. It's stupid and it's insulting.

That's not even taking into account the bullshit "teasing" of everything monster related by constantly cutting away from the actual spectacle of the film to show us military guys that honestly don't seem worried at all. Like I think in real life they would be more stressed out even by a human enemy. But there are no stakes at all in this film once Cranston is gone. No one else gives a fuck, because they all already know Godzilla is a good guy. It's a shit film and Edwards is a terrible director. I have high hopes for Kong but I imagine it'll go much the same way.

Yeah, the big issue with Samuel L Jackson is that filmmakers keep trying to recapture his performance as Jules from Pulp Fiction. No one will ever let him move on from the role and he's going to be playing Cruel Badass for the rest of his life with only a few exceptions.

Excellently said. Go and watch the original 1954 (not 1956 Americanized version) as that is truly such a better film.

Good points. Godzilla should've been essentially the lesser of two evils, not the hero of the story. He isn't fighting to protect the earth or anything like that initially, he's doing it because he's the alpha, and that's it. He's the baddest dude around, and he wants everyone to know it.

Also that beautiful shot in the trailer of the doors closing with Godzilla roaring in the background, I could have sworn they cut that out of the movie or edited in a different which got rid of the awe of the shot.

This so much. Makes no sense to make him have morals and wanna save humans... the hell he is a big animal!

My main problem with Jurassic World too how the T Rex immediately decided to help the humans even tho he was locked away for so long and then just walks away after "nodding" to the veloceraptor like "my work has been done".

KEK

When making something like a giant monster the "good guy," there has to be a certain way to do it for it to work. Showa Godzilla had it built up over the course of 5 movies. Heisei Gamera used the angle of "what can actually be considered heroic, and is he good or just unnatural?" Daigoro was raised by humans to be good. There needs to be a tactful use of screentime to establish something like a giant monster as "good."

>Muh ancient movies were better

Fuck off. Movies made in the mid fifties barely qualify as professionally made movies. The camera had barely been invented and wasn't better for much more than boring drama movies.

*excluding Anthony Hopkins's performance.
Now somebody /thread me so we can get on with our lives.

That was to keep the surprise of the MUTOS

By the way in the asian trailer they also had a shot of Muto flying at Godzilla that wasn't in the movie either

This

>if it isn't made within the last decade it's not a good movie

Kill yourself. Immediately.

This movie was ruined by boring characters and a shitty tiny head Godzilla design.

here's a crazy idea, how about the next Godzilla movie is about Godzilla, and we show Godzilla throughout the movie, FUCKING CRAZY I KNOW

Godzilla was a 8/10 movie. The best a film in that genre can get.

Friendly reminder that T H I C C bear Godzilla is the best design in ages. Not only that, after taking a massive beating by the MUTOS, he stands right up, kills the both of them, takes a healthy nap, and then goes for a swim.

Truly the GOAT.

>Movies made in the mid fifties barely qualify as professionally made movies.
I don't even know what to actually say to this...

Have you been to film school? I am not saying this as an offence. All the techniques of film today were slowly invented over time beginning in the late 30s. The theories of how to properly position the camera to make a certain character appear a certain way etc was all created back in the early 20th century.

Do not DARE blaspheme the grandfathers of film and show respect!

So much bait with this one.

Serious question here: where do I go to find the Japanese uncut version of King Kong Vs Godzilla?

I found one copy on a torrent site but the quality is so shocking
>inb4 poorfag
I may buy the UK dvd edition but I am afraid it may be the 91 minute version and not 97 minute.

There are copies of the Japanesw version on ebay but they go for over $100!!

So I guess I am stuck with watching the bad quality torrent version or pay money to get the UK dvd version and hope it is uncut
>pic related

I also wanna buy the Godzilla DVD Vol box sets. I guess the dvd vs blu ray quality with the old Godzilla films wouldnt be so much different?

Jeez the 1954 version on blu ray too is like $60.

>tiny head
>best design in ages

I've watched it on solarmovie or one of those streaming sites, you could just find it there and download it. Also I swear it was on Hulu recently

I didnt like the young british kid in this. I would have preferred if Colin remained as the main actor instead of this being a young adult film.

I hope James Bond never becomes young adult.

Would have been so much better if this was included in one of the Godzilla volumes.

Has any country released all the Godzilla films together or not?

Meh I guess not many here collect media anyway.

Jurassic World hurt me in a way that no other movie has. No other movie had such visible contempt and envy of its source material, terrible writing, a non-sensical and amateurish acting.

It was so fucking awful.

You know what the worst thing about it was? The fact that the Jimmy Fallon cameo wasn't even the worst thing about it.

pretty much what happened to Johnny Depp after Jack Sparrow happened

Alan Turing's story deserved a better movie. They had a chance to make it more like The Theory of Everything and focus on the misery, but instead they went with that horrible "I'm smarter than everyone, just get out of my way, idiots" trope. His acting was atrocious. He plays the same role in everything, and it didn't fit. Keira Knightley also fucking blew it.This is what happens when bongs are in charge of making movies.

Someday I hope they try it again and make a properly dark movie, it would be incredible.

Yeah Jurassic World was such a mess. I get so pissed at those ball vehicles... youd think the health inspector of the park would get sued if the government found out people can drive right up to live dinosaurs instead of them inventing a vehicle that is glued to a track to make sure nothing goes wrong..

But nope the park was built so young kids (the main characters of the movie) can drive right into forbidden terroritory and stir up dinosaurs..

BRAVO you only hate 20 years to modify the park so nothing at all would go wrong.

Seriously Hollywood execs actually approved this shit. Out of all the movie plotholes and bad decisions I have seen, this is to be the worst of the worst.

Envy, definitely, but there wasn't much contempt for anything but the third. People called out T-Rex smashing the spinosaurus (and most of the plot, honestly) about a year before the movie came out, yet still cheered when it happened despite the fact that it stands as an incredible hallmark of cheap, lazy writing. It felt more than anything like two solid hours of pandering to people who were passingly familiar with Jurassic Park. Where movies like Transformers or Godzilla or most capeshit feel ashamed of their sources, Jurassic World had two much pride in its own. "Hey guys, do you remember THIS? Aren't we as good as that other movie? They're in the old visitor's center! Look, a dilophosaurus! Wow, T-Rex won the fight this time, haha!" It's like being elbowed in the ribs by a guy making references to someone much cooler than him, but he can't take a hint and stop.

HOLD UP! I am not blaming Jared nor saying he was mis cast! He always proves himself to be one of the best actors right now who puts on so much weight, loses so much weight for film roles that not many will remember him by (I doubt many even know this movie exists).

I just did not like his overly done American accent in this movie. It was too forced for such a serious drama as this was. Someone should have told him to loosen up on the way he spoke.

This is probably the wrong thread to post this in as op is talking about actors who ruin a movie but again Jared was perfectly cast in this with how much weight he put on (he also looks so much like the actual shooter when you look at pics).

This movie deserves more views also.

Samuel L Jackson plays himself in everything he's involved in. He's literally a meme actor.

And Chris Pratt's character came off as a jerk kind of. Not as likeable as Sam Neill's character.

No offence to Pratt. He is very handsome and did deserve a decent script to make him shine but sadly this movie just shot itself in the leg and then dived right off a cliff.

>Jeez the 1954 version on blu ray too is like $60
It's 20 dollars right now in Barnes and Noble

Did you see him in Robocop? I found it funny as he played some tv reporter who interviewed this anti robot guy (Sameul plays a pro robocop guy) and I love it how in the middle of a talk Samuel just waves his hands and the guy disappears off the screen as Sameul is like "Cool thanks for your time".

Is funnier when you see the full scene as it resembled lots of our politics today.

What version? I also found a 2 disc dvd version that has a commentary and making of yet this dvd version states "the 1964 japanese nd 1966 american version".

How the hell could they make such a typo??

Can you imagine idolizing Jurassic Park since you were a kid, having it be one of the reasons you became an actor in the first place, hearing rumors about being cast as the lead in a sequel, finally getting the part, reading the script which might be a little dumb but hey, and then finally coming on set to find that there are NO real dinosaurs as your hack of an indie director tells you to just "use your imagination, you're an actor" because they'll CGI them all in later?

A decent movie with a good story of Parker trying to solve the mysteries of his parents whilst Dr Connors as the Lizard is brought to the screen but we all know that this SHOULD have been Sam Raimi's Spiderman 4 with Tobey Maguire as Spiderman and Dylan Baker as Dr Connors/The Lizard.

I really wanted to like this movie but I just could not get into it seeing someone else as Dr Connors... and also with the abrupt Spiderman 3 ending when Spiderman 4 was already in production.

How could Sony do this?

They could have easily kept the "Parker finding hidden documents of his father's work" subplot in Spiderman 4, leading up to the Lizard and then if you know: Bruce Campbell as going to play as Magneto.

This could have been the second best Sam Raimi Spiderman movie which would have redeemed him from Spiderman 3 and Sony fucking destroyed it with instead a reboot...

Funny considering that the new Shin Godzilla has the hips of a pregnant latino woman with her third child.

Yeah ikr. His legs are super thicc

Eveything about Zilla '98 was trash. The whole movie was just trying to play into Jurassic Park hype.

Good actors wouldn't have helped it at all.

How dare you and people who say this! 98 Godzilla is a brilliant 90s flick

Post yfw this happened.

>98 Godzilla is a brilliant 90s flick
No.

That was a good scene but... like almost 2 hours before we saw that? And people call George Lucas's prequels to be too long

Jurrasic world and star wars ep 7 left me with the same feeling of apathty. They just lack the spark of the other movies and cut everything down to modern cgi and tropes with hardly anything else to it.

For a movie about rampaging dinosaurs there was also a surprising lack of blood too.

Force Awakens was a miles better modern day sequel to its franchise compared to Jurassic World was to JP

I mean why didnt they include Sam Neill or Goldblum? Hell the Ghostbusters 2016 movie had cameos of the original actors.

TFA was mediocre but at least it wasn't outright retarded like Jurassic World was.

This.

I still wish JJ had released an extended cut of TFA with all the deleted scenes added in.

There is still so many deleted scenes he hasnt released to the public.

the criterion blu-ray is on sale till August 1st

pure kino

Yeah, Godzilla really phoned it in.

Yeah, you know. It's not the same has big hips than are just fat in all the body