/jazz/

Tony Williams convinces the Miles Davis quintet to play blue note post-bop edition

Discuss jazz, etc. :
What have you been listening to?
What'd you think of it?
Heard anything cool from this year?
What's the worst jazz album you've ever heard?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_si4imwac&ab_channel=glemoine14
youtube.com/watch?v=pz_eGZ8U5kY
youtube.com/watch?v=iB2Z2DY17yQ
youtube.com/watch?v=mF7AUd12hEE
youtube.com/user/jazzaheadtradefair/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=OpWLq9hiLH8
youtube.com/watch?v=Z17o7QekxJ0
youtu.be/Vh-WY2jO-kE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What is post bop and what's the best post bop?

I listened to amazing serbian band. They recently released an album. Can find it on bandcamp. The band is E.Y.O.T. Album was produced by Steve Albini and is called Innate.Great thing!

It's a jazz style that became widespread in the '60s. Especially on the Blue Note label. It uses elements of free and modal jazz, but still remains rooted in bebop. It's not a very well-defined term, but basically it's the guys who had the chops to play bebop but were also interested in the free side of things occasionally. Best jazz imo.

>produced by Steve Albini
I thought he was allergic to jazz.

>Implying free jazz musicians dont have the chops to play bebop.
Jump in a hole!

Yeah, those are the post-bop players

Who are you quoting?

>What have you been listening to?
Six Little Pieces for Quintet by Sven-Ake Johansson
>What'd you think of it?
I'm in love with the drums
>Heard anything cool from this year?
I'm looking for pic related, i really want to hear some hathut from my country (argentina)
>What's the worst jazz album you've ever heard?
I don't know, i never listen a complete album of something that i dislike

What are some good jazz pianists/ good jazz piano focused albums?

I'm new to this stuff, until know I've only listened to Bill Evans and Ryo Fukui

Check out the piano trios and monk sections of this chart

i refuse to acknowledge a piano trio chart that doest have any red garland trio.

Wynton Kelly > Red Garland

ErrollllorrE
youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_si4imwac&ab_channel=glemoine14
Concert by the Sea

why do you think so? every pianist i know has a strong opinion on this and im curious why people feel a certain way.

Well having transcribed both, I've found them to have a really similar approach but I think Wynton adds more chromaticism and bebop to his solos, whereas Garland usually sticks more to blues tropes. I think Wynton tends to have a more interesting overall shape to his solos and Garland sometimes just sort of drifts from idea to idea without much overall arc.

Just generalizations really and both are great pianists. Garland plays on more classic records but if I'm just judging based on their piano playing I think I'd rather listen to Kelly.

>what have you been listening too?
I've been checking out a lot of Dave Brubeck and Night Lights by Gerry Mulligan.
>what did you think of it?
I absolutely loved everything so far, especially Dave Digs Disney and Jazz Impressions of Japan. I love the cozyness the band brings, the piano and wind instruments hold so much emotion (like in the song City Is Crying).
Noooope, got some records off Record Store Day so I'm bound to dwell in the past for some time
Meh I didn't like Spiritual Unity but that's just not for me, might change in the future.

Any recs where to continue after Jazz Impressions of Japan, Time out and Dave Digs Disney? Doesn't have to be Brubeck especially.

>P.S. thank you JTG for the how to into jazz chart, it really helped me and I never got to thank you.

thats interesting. ill have to listen for those differences more. i always liked reds time and 8th not more then wyntons (none of this is passing value judgements, both are obviously mother fuckers) and idk, maybe the blues tropes add a grease that i like, ive always loved really bluesy players cause thats the sound i came up around when i first started playing. i also love reds comping on those Miles prestige sessions. the fucking hook up between phillys left hand and reds chords is fucking ridiculous. all this being said i really should probably listen to more wynton kelly trio records then i have before i can pass judgement and i havent transcribed either of those guys so your opinion might be more informed. when it gets down to though, these days, Red hits me more in an emotional place then wynton.

I will say Red is probably a better comper. I like listening to him comp behind Trane or Miles or Cannonball. And Red does have some great solos, but I think Kelly is a more consistent soloist.

Maybe check out Enrico Pieranunzi

Or Marc Copland

what the moodiest jazz record you've heard? sometimes I just wana chill to some jazz after i'm done with my homework.
youtube.com/watch?v=pz_eGZ8U5kY
youtube.com/watch?v=iB2Z2DY17yQ

i wish the two of them played with a bigger variety of musicians in general too. i looooove pc, pjj, and their ilk but i just with i could hear red or wynton with like george duvivier and elvin or some shit like that, just to see how their playing changes with different players

Would it even change though? I feel like they're two MFs who knew exactly what they were good at and just stuck to it

just got back from the local jazz festival.

I saw Michel Camilo tonight, he used to be quite popular here and he still has a following. I never hear US jazz fans talk about him. Just forgotten or never popular to begin with?

currently listening to some old Camilo and Chick Corea's latin stuff that is quite similar

youtube.com/watch?v=mF7AUd12hEE

Yeah, I've been getting really into jazz for the first time this past week, listening to different eras/styles. I've just been starting with essentials so far and just now reached free jazz, starting with pic related.

Can someone explain what the hell this is?
You all know more about jazz than me so I'm asking you, but right now I have no clue wtf I'm meant to get out of this.

I think he's pretty well known/respected among Latin jazz aficionados

Thanks bud, I will be sure to check them out!

probably not honestly haha, part of me just wants to hear it. especially kelly. reds time feels like it was made to play with pc but i think wynton could benefit from a different rhythm section sometimes.

Simple melodies in the heads that're put through a blender of strangely intonated notes and timbres nobody at the time knew the saxophone could produce. It's kind of endearing and unsettling at the same time.
Far as the soloing goes, there's actually a decent amount of interplay between the trio and I think the performances evolve into some pretty cool places. Ayler is kind of unpredictable and bizarre as a player and there isn't a hell of a lot one could do musically to follow him precisely, but there's a shared vision of this lumbering, raving sort of lunacy that they're all aspiring to.
I don't think it's the religious experience I've seen some people describe it as and it's got a lot of things about it that are understandable turnoffs for a lot of people, so don't feel weird for not enjoying it. Most people don't. I don't really. Or at least, my opinions flip flop depending on my mood.
It's kind of an internet phenomenon that he's recommended to relative newcomers. Kind of unfortunate in a sense, it's hard to appreciate what he was without much perspective.

also earlier this week at the festival I saw a band with Ari Hoenig on drums and he was absolutely on fire, maybe the best individual performance I've seen all year - anyone got recs for albums with some sweet drumming from him?

Live at Smalls
Bert's Playground

You can find their discography on rutracker. If you want to support them, you could visit their site to see if they're on Spotify perhaps.

thanks duder!

Also I've got a nice bootleg of Ari Hoenig at Smalls from 2007 with Chris Potter, Jonathan Kreisberg, and Matt Penman. Maybe I'll upload it sometimes. I've been meaning to upload a bunch of the bootlegs I have.

most of their stuff is indeed on Spotify, including Innate

I write some blog style jazz album reviews and randomly got one of their albums in the mail once - wasn't expecting much from a Serbian fusion band that I hadn't heard of before, but it was quite enjoyable - a positive surprise for sure

>What have you been listening to?
Put on Giant Steps for the first time in a while, Naima is still one of my favourite ballads.
>What'd you think of it?
Amazing album, still laugh at the piano solo on the title track considering he thought it was a ballad when he first received the chart.
I'm incredibly out of touch with most recently released jazz, unfortunately.
Kenny G - Breathless (if you can call it jazz). 2/10, his playing honestly impressed me but fuck his music honestly made me laugh.

They're very highly regarded in Serbia, despite being obscure. Another interesting Serbian fusion band is Bosque. If you enjoy Soft Machine's jazz fusion period, you'll like their music too.

one of the biggest jazz industry trade shows in Europe is jazzahead! in Bremen, Germany - it's happening this weekend and they're posting pretty good quality videos of most of the 30 minute showcase sets, so checking those out this weekend as they get posted to see what's happening

youtube.com/user/jazzaheadtradefair/videos

Interesting points, much appreciated! Yeah, I'll probably have to acclimate myself more into jazz and maybe once I've got a better understanding of it I'll have more appreciation for this or maybe not.

Ideally I'll just go by my taste and not worry about how good/bad an album/track/artist is in the eyes of others/critics.

I personally got into Ayler through Love Cry

it's generally not regarded as one of his best albums, but it has very simple themes and short tracks and I certainly found it much easier to digest than Spiritual Unity for example and definitely made it easier to get into Spiritual Unity

check out the short and sweet version of Ghosts:
youtube.com/watch?v=OpWLq9hiLH8

or Omega - really simple, happy melody like a children's song:
youtube.com/watch?v=Z17o7QekxJ0

Although not exclusively a free jazz album, starting with this. It's an absolute masterpiece. Free jazz passages are executed perfectly in my opinion; periodical ~30 seconds of absolute jarring, unpredictable madness and atonality, which not only makes sense in the context of the album itself, it is also possible to listen to.

Start with*

How do you feel about Ethan Iverson's playing?

its not the worst thing in the world, but im really not into it. theres something thats just kind of lifeless and soulless about it and his time kinda sucks. i like his playing more then his politics but i cant say i like his playing. i like reid and dave quite a bit though but i dont like the bad plus. what about you?

is /jazz/ the nicest place on Sup Forums?

I don't know much about jazz, but Miles Davis' Sketches of Spain is a 10/10 album for me. What should I listen to next?

google any collaborations between gil evans and miles davis. theyre all great and i think youll like them if you like sketches. maybe start with birth of the cool.

youtu.be/Vh-WY2jO-kE

Can someone explain to me why they think miles Davis is good? He reminds me of a rapper or a 70s lead guitar player.

Thanks

Please upload that. I watched Chris Potter and Ari Hoenig, just the two of them, at Smalls earlier this year and it was fantastic.

more indian music mixed with jazz?

alice coltrane.

Why do so many white people get a kick out of ruining jazz?

Bad white jazz is marketable; bad black jazz isn't

why is there so much jazz to listen to. it's only been around for likie 100 years

Been going through the djangologie lately. So many gems

The time it takes to produce a jazz record is a fraction of that for other records. A lot of the original songs are built on earlier forms and are easy to churn out, and a session of purely standards with little arranging work can generate a full-length album in a week. Jazz musicians could be hyper-prolific.

>in a week.
A lot of Prestige records were put together from almost all first takes, meaning that the musicians were probably in and out of the studio in under 4 hours.

That's definitely true, but I didn't want to undersell the amount of time mixing/putting together the album from the takes would take. There are also plenty of albums with heavier arranging work to them that would take a lot longer to produce.

Good answer

I just love when jazz albums has some voice screaming over the pieces, like pic related or some charles mingus albums too
More albums like that?

have* sorry

We Insist has some pretty intense screaming in the protest section of Triptych.

yeah, i love that album :)

Yeah. It's pretty great. I don't tend to listen to it very much. Makes me feel very white.

there's literally nothing wrong with being white

track one of this album is fucking terrifying.
start with pic related instead.

There literally isn't. It's just a very racially motivated album and I'm very white. It's a really damn powerful album and I just can't empathise fully with the emotions it's trying to express. That makes me feel weird listening to it.

that one is more obviously indian influenced for sure. i just meant listen too all of alices impulse! stuff cause its all pretty fantastic. and i already had a picture of universal consiousness cause its my favorite.

bumping with what im >currently listing to

Any books on Jazz i should read?

History of Jazz by Ted Gioia

somewhat looking forward to this

>Pharoah Sanders is alive
Huh. Kinda surprised I didn't know this.

Did you know that Sonny Rollins is still alive?

oh geeeezzz.

Yeah. I feel like I'm reasonably aware of whether most of the more famous players are alive. Even guys who aren't all that active anymore like Tyner. Just hadn't looked into Sanders and figured since I'd never heard about him making new records.

How did I not see this thread all day long? Must have been the shrooms.

Great album btw

Anyone got Gerry Mulligan's Night Lights?

what

rt

while he really hasn't appeared on albums, he's still been touring

I've seen him live twice in the last ten years ago, in 2015 last time I think. He has trouble walking and definitely showing his age in the playing too, although it's still nice to hear him play Creator Has a Master Plan and other old tunes - I wouldn't really expect much from him in a sideman role on a new record, though

One of the pieces on Chick Corea's Circulus album has some screaming in it. Pic semi related.

Cant do torrents but thanks anyway