/noise/ - Noise General

Reusing the OP from last time since people were liking it:

Apart from the usual /noise/ discussion, can we also talk about what makes noise good/bad/successful?
Like, people definitely talk about noise being good or bad, and I think there's reasons to it. And we lump all noise in here too, but there's very different approaches to noise that are all mixed together (eg. as an extension of punk as opposed to an extension of free jazz, for example).

There's also noise that means something (eg. the noise in pic related feels very cold and harsh, like brittle ice, which is probably on purpose considering the album title), there's noise that's clearly about enjoying yourself and the freedom you get with noise (I feel like Kazumoto Endo's While You Were Out is like this), and noise that's supposed to be punishing, or restricting, etc. There's also noise which isn't really supposed to mean anything (Pulse Demon might be a case of this). What do you think of this kind of distinction? Does considering this sort of thing help when you listen to the music? What if you're making noise music?

Other urls found in this thread:

diemilitarmusik.clan.su/
youtu.be/hUMDZEK6p-0
christianlovers.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=We6gj_juPGI
mega.nz/#!N9UggbiZ!uq-vKbpf0ljFmoRVKq4DniWBebeuBI3erWnV7HRIrn0
youtube.com/watch?v=tyxptMXt41M
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz5Rj5XqRbex2Hm6zj36Vz5qTl5Ai2qBk
youtu.be/OgSF-nd7GIo?t=335
wristclutchexploder.bandcamp.com/album/simultaneous-prayer-rituals-in-kyoto-rome-and-jerusalem
youtube.com/watch?v=WX8CqfpGwzw
youtube.com/watch?v=nKOZspqrwOA
youtube.com/watch?v=vLQ78vpte1k
youtube.com/watch?v=uhqScXW48OQ
mega.nz/#!t5EAUSAL!AaEFwmLA8hAt1wwIRkyK9bjIoeBF926qhQryW6PF9ig
zoidbergsbedroom.bandcamp.com/
youtu.be/bZcYKP7y4NI?t=1m28s
youtube.com/watch?v=n5n7CSGPzqw
youtube.com/watch?v=_Hf7HVj3b8E
youtube.com/watch?v=BVj5oXFCriI
youtube.com/watch?v=QFPIth9R-bw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also what's the ratio of just noise fans to noise musicians here? I feel like actually making the music lends itself to different ways of thinking about the genre and listening to the music.

ive been to one noise live and it sounded pretty shit

like if you want noise just dont wear earplugs to a live concert and you got plenty of white noise between your ears. ive had that shit for maybe what.. over 10 years now. it never goes away once your ear gets damaged

I'm not interested in noise at all but I have to ask
What's Sup Forums's opinion on Pharmakon?
Abandon was legitimately horrifying. Any other material from her worth checking out?

I make shitty versions of noise music by running by phone and my wireless mouse over my bass pickup while mid and bass is turned all the way up, but I'm too much of a poorfag to buy anything to make it with

whoa

Newfag of noise here. What would you recommend? I have listened to some noise albums and so far I've only enjoyed two: Frozen Niagara Falls and 三生石 (San Sheng Shi), and basically everything besides those two sounds like garbage to me.

Play it along with a cheap drum machine, I'm sure it could sound decent. Or run a DAW on your computer.

this was one of my first
still solid

>and basically everything besides those two sounds like garbage to me
Why did you think so? What other albums did you listen to? An answer to that would clarify a lot.

Thanks, will listen.

I'm still pretty new to noise as well but maybe check out 1930 by Merzbow, it's the first noise album I liked and made me want to get more into it. I like Ottoman Black suggested by user above a lot as well.

>horrifying
is this good or bad, I can't tell.
In any case, I don't really care for her work besides abandon, although I haven't tried her new album from this year.

My problem with the other albums is that they don't sound like Noise Music, they sound like just noise with no musical effort (if anything with there was some cheap percussion). I listened to Instruments Disorder, some Merzbow albums (Pulse Demon, Merzbeat and another two, can't remember the names at the moment), While You Were Out, Life in a Peaceful New World and Bird Seed, maybe a few more.

Have you checked out that Adult Swim noise compilation? You might like that one. Some surprising names in there for a "noise" comp, like Arca.

I think I haven't listened to that one though I listened to some Merzbow already, maybe that one will click, thanks.

Haven't listened to it, quite odd to see Arca there (though I don't like him too much).

I guess I'll list off some other recs too:
Jason Crumer - Sheer Hellish Miasma
Yellow Swans - Going Places
^ I'd consider these two drone noise. Noise but not very harsh. Entrancing.

I Am A Lake of Burning Orchids - Innocence
This is kinda like harsh noise with sections of techno/ambient. Pretty interesting and atmospheric with a sense of direction not commonly found in noise I've heard.

Guilty Connector - Different Water
Good, harsh, and short.

I'd also recommend checking out the rest of Prurient's discography if you liked Frozen Niagara Falls, I've liked a lot of shit by him that I've heard, especially Pleasure Ground and The History of Aids.

>Jason Crumer - Sheer Hellish Miasma
Kevin Drumm* sorry I'm intoxicated and retarded.

Thanks for that. Not too much into harsh stuff, but I lose nothing with trying. Noise drone sounds interesting.

Yeah, I think it's meant more as an introduction to "noisier" music.

noise

bump

Can noise rock go in /noise/? Tokyo Anal Dynamite can, why not Pink, or Vein? And if NWW can be in /noise/, why not Sunn O)))?

>Can noise rock go in /noise/?
If it's more noise than rock I guess.
>if NWW can be in /noise/, why not Sunn O)))?
NWW has noise works, Sunn O))) doesn't.

Any cool blogs/websites that talk about noise/noise-related music?

Can be about featuring albums obviously, but it could also be about making this sort of music,or listening to it/the scene(s)/history, etc.

nice to see /noise/ is back again. been out of the loop lately... so, what are some good new noise releases from this year?

People keep sandbagging Aodron and no one's talking about it, but honestly it's a pretty cool Merzbow record. There's a nice sounding Moog synth in there that gives it a nice heft and timbre that's usually lacking from a lot of harsh noise.

diemilitarmusik.clan.su/

I need some help finding good noise music. Right now I find that the majority of noise I've listened to suffers from long, monotonous songs that lack creativity and progression. And since this genre lacks melody and rhythm to a certain extent, it needs to make up for it with dynamic progressions of a musical idea. Which I believe Pulse Demon and Venerology did very well. But most importantly I want noise like untitled #1 from An anthology of noise and electronic music vol, 1. Which is melancholy, minimal, and atmospheric.

Cremation lily, jason crumer, aaron dilloway

Fucked by Noise has some good DL links

Yeah, I actually discovered them just now, and then made that post.

Didn't realize they were a well-known blog, though. I thought Blogspot itself was kind of obsolete, but I guess it beats having a Tumblr page.

If you like that idea try folke rabe - what

cool early long drones that morph over time

Anyone have any happy noise like rainbow electronics 2 by merrzbow to rec?

Want noise that isn't KSSSHSKREEEBOOMBUTTS? Here you go. I still exist.

cretindilettante.bandcamp.com
> Psychedelic Modular weirdness, sound collage, noise, drone, electroacoustics

I have a synthy EP coming out on Haujobb's label, Basic Unit Productions. (They toured with Skinny Puppy in the past/released a track with Jean Luc from Front 242. Fuck you if you don't know the Hauobbses.)

Here

I'm disabled, make noise, and personally think it's bullshit that a blonde, traditionally attractive white chick is being hailed as a Noise genius for writing a concept record about surviving major surgery. I'm missing a leg and have all sorts of medical problems, but fuck that cause I'm not a pretty white hipster from New York.

Really don't waste your time on her new album, even if it's under 30 minutes. I can't even call it remotely noisy.
Abandon was nice though.

Where your noise at?

oh wait im retarded nvm

How many old DOD Death Metal pedals do you have?

I have none.

Im thinking of buying one are they really all that?

So are these guys actually Nazis, or do they just cosplay as them?

newfriend here. I just listened to Birdseed and Dedicated To Peter Kurten and loved them. Where do I go from hear and are there more volcalists like William Bennett?

So, you're bitter she beat you to the punch?

Oh come on at least she promotes noise music

Good morning /noise/. Any albums that go good with morning coffee?

the new album is pretty good

Merzdub, especially the last track
youtu.be/hUMDZEK6p-0

How do I find live noise shows? Are they usually lumped together with all the upcoming shows in my state or are they excluded from that list?

This is great also check out Crumer's latest Stare at the Devil

usually follow some of the more profilic groups on facebook, or look into your local scene. A good way is to look through bandcamp then follow through with facebook. Seems to be the easiest way, at least for me.

...not really, considering the album was about just one major surgery. It's first world angst and it's embarrassing.

She promotes herself and her own pseudointellectualism.

>It's first world angst
Assuming you're not posting from a shithole post-Soviet country, this is the same for you, isn't it?

No offense man, but you do just sound kind of bitter and envious.

>She promotes herself and her own pseudointellectualism.
What artist doesn't promote themselves, and just because someone doesn't think the way you do doesn't mean they're "pseudointellectual". Looking through a few interviews, it seems she's more just inspired by ideas, which a lot of artists are, and for good reason, rather than "promoting pseudointellectualism".
Pseudointellectualism is stuff like Hunter Hunt-Hendrix's "thesis" on "transcendental black metal", that sort of thing. She isn't that at all.

yeah, yr shit isn't even bad, but yr whole attitude is toxic and annoying.

also, does anyone have any 2017 /noise/ recs?

/bump/

shameless posting my noise band

christianlovers.bandcamp.com/

we got a split coming out with Misery Ritual this week :^)

I'm a new to noise. I got turned on to it through old-school industrial and grindcore. So far I have listened to Birdseed, Mummy and Daddy (once. That one fucked me up), Frozen Niagara Falls, some Gnaw Their Tongues records and random noise songs on Youtube. I can't say I'm a ''fan'' of most of it yet, but recommend me some good entry level noise.

are you mad that she has a leg up you?

they aren't really that well-known, I just know about them because I got Tokyo Anal Dynamite and Hybrid Noisebloom from there before I heard about SoulSeek

Also, what do people do at noise shows? Who attends?

some of O'Malley (of SUNN O))) ) has side projects that are noise/drone, like KTL or Æthenor.

Some tracks off White 1 venture into noise?

Also, check out Nadja aswell;

youtube.com/watch?v=We6gj_juPGI

listen to the music

I can only assume this is accurate

nice to see a noise thread here again, haven't seen one in a while

does anyone have some nice hnw recommendations? i've listened to night of the bloody tapes, life in a peaceful new world etc and loved em

just gunna bump along with an old share, might keep it up with the rest of my MEGA shares eventually since the archive got fucked.

Bastard Noise - Rogue Astronaut [2009] (MP3 V0).
>power electronics, noise
mega.nz/#!N9UggbiZ!uq-vKbpf0ljFmoRVKq4DniWBebeuBI3erWnV7HRIrn0

Are you interested in doing a split? Just asking.

Does Sup Forums approve of Harsh Noise Wall?

Merzbow - Amlux
>youtube.com/watch?v=tyxptMXt41M
Hair Police - Mercurial Rites (I think this might be up your alley actually)
>youtube.com/playlist?list=PLz5Rj5XqRbex2Hm6zj36Vz5qTl5Ai2qBk
I enjoy it here and there. I don't seek it out as much as I used to.

I listen to HNW at work to drown out the noise in the office.

does hardtechno count as noise?
youtu.be/OgSF-nd7GIo?t=335
probably not but ill post it anyway

we are always down to do a split!

Rate my noise, bros

wristclutchexploder.bandcamp.com/album/simultaneous-prayer-rituals-in-kyoto-rome-and-jerusalem

Adding the pasta:

Here are the essentials
Also of note:
>The Rita - Thousands of Dead Gods
>The Goslings - Grandeur of Hair
>Adult Swim's NOISE comp. (pleb but listenable)
>WOLD - Screech Owl
>Coil - Constant Shallowness Leads To Evil
>V/A - Extreme Music From Japan
>V/A - World Record
>Deathpile - G.R.

Noteworthy Merzbow:
>Tauromachine
>Venereology
>Door Open at 8am
>A Perfect Pain (with Genesis P-Orridge of TG)
>OM Electrique (disc one of the Merzbox, listen to the rest if you're an absolute madman)
>Electric Salad
>Space Metallizer
>Noisembryo (be sure to read up on the Merzcar)
>Music for Bondage Performance (1 & 2)
>Pinkream
>Hole
>Hybrid Noisebloom
>1930
>Pulse Demon (duh)
>Merzbient
>Multiplication (with John Wiese of Sissy Spacek)
>Batztoutai with Memorial Gadgets
Amlux and Merzbeat suck but are easy to get into, other digital-era crap includes Dharma, SCSI Duck, Merzbird, etc... None of them are very good, but obviously form your own opinions of them, this is just the general consensus.
All the Merzbowris collabs are good and listenable
It's worth looking into the discographies of every artist mentioned, as well as
>Aube
>Puce Mary
>Händer Som Vårdar
>Whitehouse
>Consumer Electronics
>Vampire Belt (noise rock)
>Esplendor Geométrico
>Winterkälte
>Toshimaru Nakamura
>Ramleh
>Hanatarash
>Incapacitants

Sufjan Stevens made a noise song one time, it's a good example of noise without the nuance of an artist who's a noise artist by trade.
A couple of the above artists aren't strictly noise (some err musique concrete or other subgenres), but they typically share fans.
Don't post noise rock unless it's genuinely more noise than rock.
Album/artist/label suggestions for the pasta are welcome.

Now that that's out of the way, no entry-level noise below this point.

And lastly, only plebs EXCLUSIVELY /merzbowworship/, but only contrarians NEVER /merzbowworship/
Happy noiseposting.

Thanks for the recs mate

>Händer Som Vårdar
I remember hearing about them a while ago but I could only find a couple of random songs on youtube and soundcould that had hardly any views or listens. Can anyone link me some albums by them?

love seeing these good /noise/ threads lately. Easily my favorite general

"God Has Shot Himself" by Werewolf Jerusalem is essential listening.

Some individual Swede, he's got two or three albums on Deezloader and some more cassette rips on Soulseek

Bump,

Also, opinions on Noise Black Metal/Industrial project Gnaw Their Tongues
youtube.com/watch?v=WX8CqfpGwzw

>Noise
It's just black metal, boring black metal

Is this noisy enough?
youtube.com/watch?v=nKOZspqrwOA
youtube.com/watch?v=vLQ78vpte1k
youtube.com/watch?v=uhqScXW48OQ

underrated as fuck

when Coil gets into noise it is literally perfetion

a solid favorite from 2015, feels forever ago.

Sissy Spacek - Brath [2015] (MP3 V0)
>harsh noise, noisecore
mega.nz/#!t5EAUSAL!AaEFwmLA8hAt1wwIRkyK9bjIoeBF926qhQryW6PF9ig

Being noisy doesn't make it noise

I'm fairly new to noise so I'm listening to this in order. Didn't expect to find a favorite so quickly. This is just so overwhelming and massive. It seriously redefines the word massive in music.

Oh, and I'm only on Feral One.

zoidbergsbedroom.bandcamp.com/

Daniel Menche rarely ever disappoints me with his music. I highly recommend trying out Glass Forest & Raw Cello Sessions once you finish this.

I fucking hate this album. Just stick to making noise, don't make cringey attempts to mix it with fucking synth pop.

Cry more faggot

I'm sorry you're disabled. Make better music

At some point HatsuneKaidan sounds like this
youtu.be/bZcYKP7y4NI?t=1m28s
Which I believe is some sort of joke at this
youtube.com/watch?v=n5n7CSGPzqw
Is there more noise that goes beep boop?

SORT OF I MEAN A LOT OF NOISE ARTISTS TEND TO USE ANIME SAMPLES OR WHATEVER ITS NOT LIKE THERE ARE MANY RULES ITS JUST THAT YOU PROBABLY WONT EVER HEAR OF THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE MOST LIKELY LOCAL AND ITS REALLY HARD TO GET FAMOUS IN NOISE

youtube.com/watch?v=_Hf7HVj3b8E

But I don't want anime samples, I want beep boop.
youtube.com/watch?v=BVj5oXFCriI

youtube.com/watch?v=QFPIth9R-bw

Whoa, thanks.