It's your criminally under rated tv thread

It's your criminally under rated tv thread.

Overlooked by The Wire constantly. What's yours?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=92SjNRQuSvE.
youtube.com/watch?v=PMLVhR7Idfs
youtube.com/watch?v=o3SDZ9Gz-KE
youtube.com/watch?v=ssG1NGRumi0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>tfw wanted to make a thread about Shield all day
>tfw watched the season 5 finale today
>tfw the grenade scene
>mfw I almost burst out crying during the scene

damn, the series definitely hit me right in the feels

The Shield is one of my all time favorite dramas, the only other drama I like as much as it is The Sopranos.

Boss is a criminally underrated show that I would recommend as well.

Shield is criminally underrated. 100% up there with Wire and Sopranos

I watched a few episodes of The Wire. Didn't think it was as good as people say.
People praise it for realism but it's impossible for it to be very accurate when it focuses on the black underclass and no one in hollywood is willing to be honest about them.

Tony and Vic have a lot of parallels, as do the shows in general.

Catherine Dent and Paula Garces also appeared on episodes of The Sopranos.

The Sopranos was more groundbreaking, The Wire more realistic... uh for the first few seasons anyway, but The Shield is way more re-watchable for me. Very comfy right up until Lem dies. Until that, you always have faith the strike team will get out from under whatever shit they've buried themselves in.

The shield is one of those rare shows that starts to wane in the middle of its run, but picks right back up and finishes strong. The finale was fantastic.

Can I say the wire is criminally overrated?

My niggas, I started the last season today, it's really good and I enjoy watching it more than the Wire or Sopranos.

A show I don't see posted here too often is Banshee, I started today and watched 3 episodes so far and it's fucking amazing, probably one of the best shows I've ever seen shooting straight to the top 3 at least.

The first few episodes of The Wire are not that impressive. The show really starts moving at the end of episode five and into episode six things escalate quickly.

youtube.com/watch?v=92SjNRQuSvE.

The Shield is fucking terrible. Fucking SoA for pretend-taste niggers

>7 seasons

No thanks, I have a life to live.

weak bait

Seasons are pretty short as in not 22 episodes seasons, and it's good.

>a life to live
you mean you got a job, lol, normie

I think The Wire is definitely overrated. It's a great show, but it's not the greatest show of all time like so many people claim. I much prefer The Shield to The Wire, it's not even that close for me. I think a big part of The Wire's appeal is it makes people feel like they understand the ghetto and what life is like there. I think a lot of people feel street smart after watching The Wire, which is kinda bullshit in my opinion.

you mean overlooked FOR the wire, right?

Same, user. Second best tv series after The Sopranos.

>This entire fucking post.

No tv show can make me feel sick to my stomach with suspense like The Shield can, even after i already watched it and know what's coming.

You mean Season 4 i'm assuming? Generally yeah, it's agreed that Shield tried to enter a bit of The Wire territory with Glenn Close's new captain and the asset forfeiture plotline. But Antwon Mitchell was fucking great as a villain
>dat pic related scene
>dat whole episode that's mostly Antwon facing off with Glenn Close in the interrogation room
Anthony Anderson is underrated as fuck

Wow, there was a video game of this? Watched this when it originally aired and had no idea...

youtube.com/watch?v=PMLVhR7Idfs
>gta reskinned as the shield
i probably still would have played it

I can't remember which season I felt it started to go downhill, but I remember the distinct feeling of it was just treading water and repeating itself over and over again. Then it surprised me with the speedball final season.

also now that I think of, it Acevada getting mouth raped might be the most disturbing thing Ive seen on a tv show.

>it's a Aceveda is forced to suck dick episode

Shane and Army's partnership was comfy as fuck
>Army Intelligence? I was in the service. That just means he carried extra batteries for the radio.

that fucking plotline was great though.

it's a Aceveda is assigned to the transporter room episode

Lemme guess, you think The Wire is the greatest TV show of all time and you also think The Godfather is the greatest movie of all time too? Why don't you actually try watching movies and TV shows for yourself and forming your own opinions instead of mindlessly parroting what other people tell you?

Actually i forgot about Season 6. That season was like 50% treading water, 30% getting Vic and Shane in place to come into conflict for the final season, and 20% plotlines that had to be aborted before Season 7 because actors ended their contracts. Like literally, it introduced Clifton Collins Jr. as an undercover cop, Franka Potente as a female Armenian mob boss, and the guy from Hawaii 5-0 as a new Strike Team member, and all of them left the show before their characters were planned to be written out.

I gotta give Shield skeptics who never watched it some leniency in my judgments, honestly. I literally used to be one, i assumed it was just another Sons of Anarchy. Little did i know.

>Franka Potente as a female Armenian mob boss, and the guy from Hawaii 5-0 as a new Strike Team member,

ahahhahaha oh shit I forgot about that

that season was garbage

There was a between season short about the one who died, it was terrible quality at the time, did they ever fix the quality (blu-ray?)

Lots of major TV series had video game adaptations you might not have heard of.

>le edgy manlet with a crime of the week story

You should get some taste if you think this is anywhere in the same league as Sopranos or Wire.

>I break temporal cases nobody else in the federation can. I deserve a little more damn respect than I've been getting around here lately.

Yeah, worst season by far. Not Shawn Ryan's fault tho. If his faggot actors had a little faith in his show he could have given them great plotlines. Except Hawaii 50, fuck that guy.

But are u hungry? you know like a wolf?

>GAHD DAMMIT DUTCH

>It's a space Dutch strangles a space cat to death episode

>set phasers to 'kill my wife'

Is that Hank from BB?

ah, to be 15 again

>Except Hawaii 50, fuck that guy.

for real fuck that guy, hes been a flat zero in everything Ive seen him in.

Hes like one of those handsome but completely uninteresting and unremarkable actors they keep on speeddial for when their actual leads fall through.

moonlight LMAO

Ironically he was the only one of those Season 6 characters whose role was completely satisfying
>Brought on as new guy
>Pretty face, totally useless
>Gets canned after less than a short season
He was practically a joke character, and a good one when you treat him as such.

5 E A S O N
E 5 N O N O
A N 5 N O N
S O N 5 N O
O N O N 5 N
N O N O N 5

>muh serialization
When will you realize that episodic storytelling is necessary for a TV series to achieve the optimum impact and value in its medium? If you actually watched Sopranos you'd realize it existed in distinct episodes, not just chapters of a long-spanning serialized storyline.

The difference is that each episode of Sopranos is brilliantly crafted and is almost like a film by itself with its presentation of a set of themes. This is on top of probably some of the most well-written characters in TV.

You can pretend like the Shield is that good but frankly it's not.

>le formulaic is le bad meme
Fucking off yourself.

claiming my shieldfu

>implying i think The Shield is as good as the Sopranos

Nothing is as good as Sopranos. The Shield is only the second best lol

oh shit we doing this?? claimed

I laughed. Now I feel bad

That's a based gif user

I'm trying to remember what ended up happening to Army. Didn't he briefly pop up in the last season again?

>Didn't think it was as good as people say.

stick with it

>tfw Vic has a bunch of autistic kids
>tfw Corinne is anti-vax
This is the best family subplot in TV history

Is Michael Chiklis' as Ben Grimm underrated?

Banshee is based. It's like a live action anime or some shit, it doesn't let up.

When I heard the Commish was going to be the thing I got legitimately hyped. Then I saw the movie.

I-it's not his fault

Came here to post about Banshee. If anyone hasn't seen it and want an action show, get it.

Capekino has been here for years youtube.com/watch?v=o3SDZ9Gz-KE

If you want to talk criminally underrated, it's Frisky Dingo. Easily the best thing adult swim has ever made and it blows Archer out of the water.

the problem was once the world destoryer arc ended they didn't seem to know what to do, but thats ok we got archer

who here /spook street/?

Disagree. I think season 2 was even better than season 1. Pretty much all the presidential campaign stuff was pure gold.

truly

HICK AND THE SPIC

How about Justified?

It's no Deadwood, sure, it's not the most thoughtful show in history, but it's a really really solid and fun deep south/backwoods cops n' robbers show.

>I just hung up on her, no idea why, she's gonna be so mad

Xander was awesome

>watching the shield as it airs
>totally hooked
>friend asks if I've seen the wire
>watch the wire
>it transcends hooks and dramatic shortcuts, uses symbolism in a way that isn't lazy or forced
>run out of the wire
>try to watch the shield
>might as well be a prolonged benny hill skit

not unusual after the wire, would have happened no matter what you decided to watch after, cept maybe deadwood

Shield didn't go out of its way to show kids getting raped by their fathers and show hookers getting chainsawed apart onscreen to make dog food or any of the other comedically edgy-for-its-own-sake shit which Sup Forums's fat virgin demographic considers 'realistic'.

Boss was fucking great. Damn shame it didn't last.

I'm watching the 1st season of The Wire and I just got done watching the episode where DeAngelo teaches the younger kids chess. I was blown away! I had to watch it a couple times to really pick up on it, but did you guys realize that when he was teaching them about the chess pieces, he was really referring to THEM being the pawns! What an amazing metaphor!

It was so deep and meaningful, I am amazed by the deep symbolism of this.

Do the later seasons continue on with masterful symbolism like this? This was truly the pinnacle of storytelling that I have ever seen on a television show, and I think I can confidently say The Wire is the best show ever made without even having seen the entire series.

Also the acting is amazing. Idris Elba and Dominic West do a great job with their Baltimore accents.

nice pasta retard

>nu-male Wire fan
>uses retard as an insult

Hahaha back to Sup Forums

I almost never see Damages get talked about here. Seasons 1-3 are really good. Incredible cast, too.
My fellow Bossbros!
I think this may actually be the best television series ever made.
Not my favorite, but it's just damned flawless in every element of the execution.

It's not underrated here.

Actually that was the shields hook for the first two seasons. This was one of the first breakout tv shows not from one of the big 4 networks, and fx pushed the limit of what you can show on broadcast television. Nip/tuck (another great series) debuted a year after the shield did, and followed the formula of being as risque as they could be.

Its just that now, years later, all of the shock the show generated seems tame in comparison.

lul

Shane and Vic cave after the cops find the little girl's body thing and tell the Captain how it went down. She wanted them to take a polygraph, but after Shane takes it Army backs out saying his union rep says he doesn't have to take it. Captain goes apeshit, Lem gives Army a heartfelt speech, and adios Army.

Definitely one of the hardest to watch scenes for me, regardless of show.

Haha I always lose it when Vic first confronts Aceveda about Juan.

> "Oh, lucky for you he had a little sports injury. Somebody in County went Mr. Universe on his skull."

For some reason, that line always has me in tears laughing. But for sure, great multi-season arc for David.

I watched the first 5 episodes and seems like it tries too hard to be edgy. The "i'm a badass cop who don't follow no laws" while Kid Rock plays in the background is really cliche. Does it get better?

>shane? SHANE!
youtube.com/watch?v=ssG1NGRumi0

Yes. The first season is kind of rocky, and relies on the shock value. When this first came out my roomates and I watched it as a joke, half way through the first season we were hooked.

After that you get a few seasons of solid gold before the quality gets a little wobbly.

>Other people on Sup Forums have seen Boss

I've only ever seen people talk about Boss on here once and I was banned at the time so I couldn't reply. It's so much better than House of Cards, it's a tragedy that we only got 2 seasons. Thomas Kane is the character Frank Underwood should have been once he assumed the presidency.

It gets better when you realize Vic is pure evil and you start to only watch the show to see him fall.

"No."

The show is camp, not literal interpretation of the Rampart era LAPD. There is definitely a lot more street knowledge in following seasons. For me, the biggest drawback to the show is that even with Co-Pilot it's hard to connect the cold blooded murder of Terry with the Vic we see in the rest of the series. The desperation of having a rat on their team just isn't as palpable as a dead little girl hanging over Shane and Army's heads, or Lem on the hook for stolen heroin.

I try to bring it up in every television thread I can.
I think it got cancelled in part because it was "too real". Ratings aren't really important for a premium channel.
Probably had something to do with the creator being closely linked to the Reagan family.

>it gets awkward when you realize tony is a selfish half-wit and everyone outside his inner circle views him and the mafia as a joke

The fact that it was real was what made it so great, it feels much more believable than House of Cards where Frank gets to be president by taking huge risks and gambles that somehow always go just as he planned. That it was grounded in reality also made Thomas Kane feel more evil, because it's entirely plausible that someone like him could exist.

I didn't know the creator was linked to the Reagans. I've always wanted to ask him how Kane's daughter was going to react to the realization that she fucked her half brother.

>mfw i'll watch this just because it's not total crap like everything else set in chicago with the exception of shameless

Alright, I want my friend to watch this show, he said he hates chiklis though.

I said Ill play one of his games if he watches the shield, you think this is a bad idea, kinda forcing him to watch it? I really think he'll warm up to it though, he really liked breaking bad, and this is better.

>The fact that it was real was what made it so great
Seriously, it had an air of palpable reality that was so spot on. It was almost crushing.

>creator
Yeah, he's one of the Reagan kids's son in law. Also, co-wrote with based Mel on Apocalypto.
Go for it, unfortunately, it was only 2 seasons, but it's well worth the watch.

Sounds like you just made a good barter.

Chiklis kills The Shield though. All I really knew him from before was The Commish and that Seinfeld episode. By the 4th or 5th episode I was convinced Chiklis had developed in a big way and that I would stick with the show.

the more you know

cheers