Daily Japanese Thread DJT #1827

Cornucopia of Resources / Guide
Read the guide before asking questions.
djtguide.neocities.org/

Special Sup Forums FAQ:
>What's the point of this thread?
For learners of Japanese to come and ask questions and shitpost with other learners. Japanese people learning English can come too I guess.
>Why is it here?
The mods moved us here and won't let us go anywhere else.
>Why not use the pre-existing Japanese thread?
The cultures are completely different.
>Go back to Sup Forums
There's the door

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools/issues/166
desuarchive.org/a/thread/154729971/#154751435
imabi.net/joyokanjilist.htm
pastebin.com/JvbecfZU
google.com.ar/imgres?imgurl=https://cutenippon.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/lingualift-japanese-920x5571.png&imgrefurl=https://cutenippon.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/%E3%81%B9%E3%82%93%E3%81%8D%E3%82%87%E3%81%86%E3%81%97%E3%82%8B-an-awesome-site-to-aid-in-your-japanese-studies-lingualift/&docid=2NERZg98-J0_VM&tbnid=njncGKTE4nIFlM:&vet=10ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgbKAEwAQ..i&w=920&h=557&safe=off&client=firefox-b-ab&bih=626&biw=1360&q=lingualift Japanese&ved=0ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgbKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=557&imgrc=njncGKTE4nIFlM:&vet=10ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgbKAEwAQ..i&w=920
google.com.ar/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Tvn9fmVrfG4/T4uIzkx8q5I/AAAAAAAAA8I/bk_BNsh2X14/s1600/Lingualiftfront.png&imgrefurl=http://www.jadij.com/2012/04/service-review-lingualift.html&docid=_WmLo6iZYBO_QM&tbnid=zyUBZzZ0YHaZQM:&vet=10ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgcKAIwAg..i&w=1364&h=518&safe=off&client=firefox-b-ab&bih=626&biw=1360&q=lingualift Japanese&ved=0ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgcKAIwAg&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=518&imgrc=zyUBZzZ0YHaZQM:&vet=10ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgcKAIwAg..i&w=1364
japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/328/how-to-choose-between-よん-yon-vs-し-shi-for-四-4-and-しち-shichi-vs
cjvlang.com/Dow/dowjpn.html
dictionary.goo.ne.jp/thsrs/15266/meaning/m0u/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

サンキュー フォー エクスプレイニング トゥ ミー

Chaos ensued certainly

>wanted to get my scifi japanese on a level good enough for nier automata
>didn't make it in time

I am a failure as a human being

kino...
kino became female in the latest cover.

What's the most efficient way to use leeches? Should I keep a low leech threshold, or should I keep it at 99 so I don't miss any cards?
I know that feel senpai, I want to get good enough to play DanganRonpa V3 in Japanese when it comes out, but sadly it's too late.

Anyone know how to remove the DRM from Bookwalker epubs?

i dont know the difficult thing, but such a thing is posted in 2ch usually.

Keep it at 8 to depress you whenever a leech happens, but set it so the action to take is "do nothing". Burying cards is for fags.

I'm having a bit of trouble grasping こと sentences.
What's the difference between these two:
それを使ったことがありますか?
それを使いましたか?

>それを使ったことがありますか?
Have you ever used that?
>それを使いましたか?
Did you use that?

Anyone using KanjiDamage decks to study? I was pretty happy to find something that combines kanji and vocabulary, but find myself not remembering the vocab at all, just the kanji meaning, which makes it no different from RTK.

The former emphasizes the fact of the matter that the object in question wasn't used.

the こと and 「」と grammar points always make me think Japanese is nothing but teenager slang applied over two centuries. Looks informal as fuck.

Is this what people mean when they say the japanese past tense "implies completion"? 来た meaning "it's here" and so on

>tfw using honorific form
It is as if anything short of ありがとうございます feels informal.

貴官はお使いになったことがございませんか

try again

おるんですか
使いになったことがおられませんか
これはどう

Just passed the 2000 mark in the Core 2/6k deck. Should I keep going or awkwardly stumble my way through some baby manga?

I haven't even started the Core and I'm already reading Yotsuba. You should have no trouble.

>nippon studies going well for 1 or 2 years now

>but I don't enjoy VNs and LNs anymore

well fuck me

Are you fluent yet? Could you read VNs and LNs if you wanted to without problems?

Doesn't look like it. The issue was brought up on jcafe and also here:
github.com/apprenticeharper/DeDRM_tools/issues/166
There was some discussion about this sort of thing on Sup Forums:
desuarchive.org/a/thread/154729971/#154751435

Problem is that by the next time there is a fix, the paranoid fucks will end up removing all trace of everything moments after they upload it so then maybe four or five other paranoid fucks will have the fix but will be too autistic about the whole thing and we will never get it. The user who uploaded a script to fix one ripping solution had it deleted within minutes of posting. Ridiculous.
I really don't like how these paranoid fucks in the ripping scene operate. A good 99% of the time their problems are self caused. They are delusional enough to think publishers like Kadokawa or companies like Rakuten are constantly watching over Sup Forums like hawks when in reality there are DRM removal solutions which have been fine for ages despite them being discussed all over the web. People like that would never put together something like what this thread has with all the resources, guides, etc.

/rant

Why not both?

I think kanjidamage was originally intended as a reference, not a complete course of memorisation. If you really want a deck, you should use the "kanjidamage+" deck, that cuts it down to just the mnemonic, the most important readings and the "meaning", which is about as much as anki will manage to stuff into your head. I used that deck myself for a couple of weeks at the start, before I realised that kanji study is ultimately a waste of time for anyone with a reasonably healthy brain.

I will get there one day senpai

Did you just study vocab after that realisation? How did that work out?

Dudebros, anyone got any recommendations for a comfy video series to use as a passive learning resource? Something to watch while I'm eating. I've been studying for around 7 months.

>Why not both?

When you put it that way...

Is this some anki plugin?

Kanjigrid

I just plunged into core and then switched to mining after about 2500 cards. I'm at about 4,500 vocab now and haven't made a leech yet.
I did spend about a week beforehand memorising the kangxi radicals, but I'm not sure how helpful that's been to be honest. If you can find a radical deck of 200 or so cards which focuses on components that have a phonetic influence I would definitely recommend that instead.

I'm using KanjiDamage. I guesss your retention ability depends on how many new cards a day you're doing. I've been doing 20 new cards a day and picking easy only when i know most of the readings(Usually all of them, unless there are like 4/5 kunyomis and 2 onyomi) and one or two jukugos, and I've got 136 mature cards out of about 550 cards in total.
Today I'm changing it to 40 new cards a day(I feel like only 20 is way too slow since it's just 10 kanji because there are reverse cards in my deck)
How many new cards a day are you doing and how far in are you? I'm personally enjoying KanjiDamage quite a bit(Like when i start remembering a kanji's onyomi because i remember it takes the reading from another kanji inside it)

た form + ことがある... is a grammer expression meaning have you ever [done X]

so

>それを使ったことがありますか?
is have you ever used that before?

while

>それを使いましたか?
did you used that?

How to make grids look less shit:

>Tools -> Add-ons -> Kanji grid -> Edit
>Replace with body { table, tr, td {border-collapse:collapse; border:0px;}

Please japanese people

what is this

I wonder how much advantage does KanjiDamage have compared to just going to
imabi.net/joyokanjilist.htm

and searching words and sentences in dictionary employing the kanji before composing your own sentences with it?

How long have you been studying for?

australians are cute

即寝…

thanks australia now i feel dumb

how did you improve handwritten kanji reading

Not the australian, but im guessing stroke order helps

You're telling me I'm going to have to learn hundreds of kanji?

this

>hundreds
You can't learn Japanese.

>50 kanji left
I'm gonna make it bois!
Thousands, actually.

Well, you are getting it all by just using an anki deck(I'm lazy as fuck, and i usually study on my cell phone while travelling or in the bathroom, so being able to study all those things in one convenient place is nice). You're having mnemonics made for you and the kanji are being split into their components and used in said mnemonic. The Anki deck is not ordered by grade but by radicals and which kanji use which radicals/kanji(It wont show you kanji for which you dont know the components).
In my opinion, if you are the kind of person with the willpower to use a list+dictionary and have the time/means to do so, then it is probably better to do so.
I'm personally not being all that serious about studying yet(I wanna get a grasp of a lot of kanji and vocab before i start reading, i find it really frustrating having to go to a dictionary or translator) so kanjidamage is probably a good option for me.
Im curious: Has anyone studied with the method he depicted?

We believe in you user!

This is a fake right?

>implying I'm going to let you intimidate me

Bring on your fucking kanji. I'll learn them just like I learned the kana and wipe that smug ass shit eating smirk off your face.
>muh Japanese is hard
I'll fucking wipe my ass with this language.

>Comparing learning kanji to learning kana
oh boi, you're in for a ride

>b-but muh double meanings and strokes!
I'll use them as cumrags when I'm done with them.

Okay seriously where does this picture actually come from? Google isn't being very helpful

Don't worry, I have faith in you, Mexicanon. You can do it.

You can learn kana in a day/week. Kanji requires perseverance just because of the sheer amount. Having many readings and meanings and compound words and 15+strokes is just a bonus.

From DJT

How do you style your mining deck senpaitachi? Just started mine, I'll probably change the font and add the sentence where I encountered the word.

I don't remember the source but I'm pretty sure she was a meme since at least DJT #500

>tfw essentially gave up at thread #650 (but not really)
>getting serious again literally thousand threads later.
Truly she was right I wonder how many anons actually learned japanese by now.

in english school, word counts are usually prescribed for essays. how is this done in Japan?

>how is this done in Japan?
Japanese has words too you know.

>how did you improve handwritten kanji reading
Reading manga, more or less.

Don't worry about it.
You're Mexican, not Mexicant.

yeah, but I feel like they would be harder to count because they have no spaces. maybe I'm overthinking this

pastebin.com/JvbecfZU
copy paste into styling field
replace url with whatever picture you want
adjust the two opacity values depending on how visible you want the background / text to be

Do a Google search for "lingualift Japanese".

For 四, the core2k deck gives a reading of よん and し, and they're both nouns. Does the reading change purely based on whatever set phrase it's attached to, or is there some grammatical thing I'm missing here?

there are parsers that can roughly interpret the amount of words

but more likely, it would be total length of pages or just character count

that is sort of a special case w/ numbers, look up counting / counters / telling time

Looks nice, thanks user

learn the stroke order, write some out yourself and observe just how ugly your chicken scratch can be when writing fast

the proper stroke order will keep even the fastest scribbles legible (usually), since you can see what they were going for in the flow of their writing, similar to those people who use a strange connected semi cursive style in english

No, you are right. It is kind of a tricky question. Do particles count as words? Does verb-masu count as two words?

>lingualift Japanese
rofl
google.com.ar/imgres?imgurl=https://cutenippon.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/lingualift-japanese-920x5571.png&imgrefurl=https://cutenippon.wordpress.com/2012/05/22/%E3%81%B9%E3%82%93%E3%81%8D%E3%82%87%E3%81%86%E3%81%97%E3%82%8B-an-awesome-site-to-aid-in-your-japanese-studies-lingualift/&docid=2NERZg98-J0_VM&tbnid=njncGKTE4nIFlM:&vet=10ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgbKAEwAQ..i&w=920&h=557&safe=off&client=firefox-b-ab&bih=626&biw=1360&q=lingualift Japanese&ved=0ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgbKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=557&imgrc=njncGKTE4nIFlM:&vet=10ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgbKAEwAQ..i&w=920
google.com.ar/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Tvn9fmVrfG4/T4uIzkx8q5I/AAAAAAAAA8I/bk_BNsh2X14/s1600/Lingualiftfront.png&imgrefurl=http://www.jadij.com/2012/04/service-review-lingualift.html&docid=_WmLo6iZYBO_QM&tbnid=zyUBZzZ0YHaZQM:&vet=10ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgcKAIwAg..i&w=1364&h=518&safe=off&client=firefox-b-ab&bih=626&biw=1360&q=lingualift Japanese&ved=0ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgcKAIwAg&iact=mrc&uact=8#h=518&imgrc=zyUBZzZ0YHaZQM:&vet=10ahUKEwj-sprDtuPSAhWBFpAKHcZYArcQMwgcKAIwAg..i&w=1364

>that link
kill yourself

Yeah i deeply apologize, I didn't realize it was one of those stupid google links. Here, have a cute waifu for your troubles.

why the fuck are there two argentinians here

>monday in japanese is written with the kanji for moon
>moon day

hard to forget now, that's good.

I know right, everyone here should have a unique flag so we can tell exactly whose post it is.

sunday also has sun
friday has gold (pay day)

these practically make themselves

And you can also think friday is written with gold because it's payday.

In your example,
シ is the 音読み (Chinese reading)
よん in the 訓読み (Japanese reading)
japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/328/how-to-choose-between-よん-yon-vs-し-shi-for-四-4-and-しち-shichi-vs

(゚∀゚)

I will never get earth and wood sorted out.
Just like how Tuesday/Thursday still requires thinking and Jeudi/Vendredi never come to mind when I need them.

You might find this interesting: cjvlang.com/Dow/dowjpn.html

Is there any pattern to how the days of the month are called? I've learned both readings for all the numbers, but now I'm trying to learn dates and they're unlike anything Ive seen before(Are these used anywhere else?). I mean things like "tsuitachi", "tooka", "nanoka" and "hatsuka".
Also, don't people mistake ""yokka" and "youka" often?

Do you know the names of the planets in Japanese? Saturday becomes another easy one to remember because it's Saturn (土星) Day.

For english, just think Tuesday is the day number Two(Tue and Two sound alike) of the week.

I'm a native English speaker and I still often get Tuesday and Thursday confused. There's been a couple of times where I asked someone to cover me on the wrong day because of it.

pretty interesting stuff, thanks

I still don't know how to read out the planet names like pic related.

>and I still often get Tuesday and Thursday confused
Sounds like a different sort of issue, user.

I'm pretty sure ついたち and はつか are the only truly irregular readings. The rest are just 訓読み.

ふたつ→ふつか
みっつ→みっか
よっつ→よっか
いつつ→いつか
etc.

oops, I misread some posts... sorry.

あと and のち (後)
Are they interchangeable?
Or there are certain contexts where only one of them can be used?

dictionary.goo.ne.jp/thsrs/15266/meaning/m0u/
>【1】「後(あと)」は、「事件の三日あと」のように、ある事態が起こった時点を基準とする場合のほか、「あとで電話します」のように、現在を基準にする場合にも用いられる。それに対して、「後(のち)」は、「のちほど」のような表現を除けば、前者の場合にしか用いられない。

They are interchangeable in some instances. It depends on the point of reference: あと can refer to after the present or after some other point in time, while のち is only used to mean after some other point in time, with the exception of set expressions like のちほど.

As I understand it, the kangxi radical deck isn't meant to aid in recognition but to keep you from mixing up similar-looking kanji. When you're familiar with the radicals themselves you have an easier time differentiating between kanji with a one-radical difference.

Thks!

Well, some are pretty weird then:
nanatsu -> nanoka
yattsu -> youka

>水金地火木土天海冥
Explain.

A compound word could actually help me, I thank 春夏秋冬 for making it easy to remember the readings of stuff like 夏期 秋分 春分 冬至.

Will Genki take me to N1 by the end of the second volume?

水星
金星
地球
火星
木星
土星
天星
海星
冥王星
すいきんちかもくどてんかいめい

No.