Is this a bent paperclip, or an unbent paperclip?

Is this a bent paperclip, or an unbent paperclip?

Still looks bent to me.

it's a cis scum paperclip

unbent

It's a modified paperclip.

The shape it's in is a deviation from what a functional paperclip is shaped like, so it's bent.

Unwound paperclip

It's a thin coiled metal rod

this is an unbent mushroom salad

it's re-bent

Deviating from it's standard, this paperclip is in fact bent, however one could argue that it is unbent according to the state of the rod that makes the paperclip.

Thanks, professor.

>Winrar
>Dubs Confirm to be true

/Thread

At what point does a stick of metal become a paper clip?

yfw almost quads

My thoughts exactly

Its still fucking bent, faggot. Shouldve taken a fully straightened one.

But a paperclip starts from a straight piece of metal

What if the machine that bends the pieces of metal breaks down before it's finished?

Thus OP's pic could be an unbent paperclip.

"UNBENT" assumes that the metal rod is straight you dumb nigger

It can be slightly unbent

Its either a bent paperclip or a slightly unbent wire

Clearly the metal rod is BENT. He had to manipulate (or bend) the object in some fashion to get it to the point that it is in now.

>"UNBENT" assumes that the metal rod is straight

That's what I just said
All paperclips start from a straight metal rod

Do you mean bent paperclip or bent wire?

If you say "unbent wire", you are talking about a straight wire.

I guess you could say "an unbent bend" where you are unbending a bend thus straightening it

Replied to myself accidently

You idiots argue over anything

A paperclip is not a paperclip until it's been severed from the spool of metal it's made of. It is not severed until it is completely bent into the shape of a paperclip, thus a paperclip is always bent at any point in time, being that the nature of a paperclip is a bent metal rod.
Unbending is not a verb. Putting a bent object back to its original shape is still bending, since you only increase the strain put on the metal.

This paperclip is bent.

>A paperclip is not a paperclip until it's been severed from the spool of metal it's made of

Not always so
I could bend a small piece of metal into a paperclip.
I don't think anyone would dispute that it is, in fact, a paperclip

>It is not severed until it is completely bent into the shape of a paperclip, thus a paperclip is always bent at any point in time

Your argument is invalid because of my example

>Unbending is not a verb

Let's not get into complex semantics and the intricacies of annealing and grain structures of metal

Everyone knows what "unbending" something is

You could say "Bent paperclip" if someone took a perfect paperclip and went through with the action of bending the metal in this configuration

You could say "unbent paperclip" if someone took a perfect paperclip and unbent the bend (which is the same action in this case as bending but heres the distinction....

You can bend a straight piece of metal
You can bend a bent piece of metal to either bend it more or straighten it

You cannot unbend a straight piece of metal
You CAN unbend a bent piece of metal.
Unbending is the special case of "bending" where you can't bend a piece of metal farther into a bent state. You can only straighten it.

To add on...

You can also say that this paperclip is "unbent" if the machine that makes paperclips broke down in the middle of making this one.

But this is a tricky thing.

It doesn't feel right saying that.

This argument is just the Abortion debate simplified

When does a paperclip become a paperclip and not just a bent piece of metal?

"Hurr durr all paperclips start as straight metal rods" Yeah, and when that rod is bent to a specific shape, it can be called a paperclip.
Metal rod =/= Paper clip

So what's your answer to OP, faggot?

Is it a bent or unbent paperclip?

If that's the question we're really asking I guess that would be when it's put to work, clipping paper.
Call me racist but that's what I think.

What is a paperclip?

Everyone knows..

Would you then, say that this is a paper clip anymore? or just a bent metal rod

you can't turn metal into paper

Bent paperclip. It can't function as one properly anymore.

So when you go to the supermarket to buy office supplies, you ask an employee "where are the boxes of small 4 times bent metal rods in the semblance of, and have the potential to be paper clips?"

>Bent paperclip

Then that would mean that it once was a paperclip

What about the unfinished paperclip example?

is an otistic peper clip

Same thing. You fuck up building a chair. It's a shitty, possibly fucked-up chair, but still sort of a chair.

Hmmm

Maybe it's just a human thing

We define and categorize items in certain shapes as they pertain to
However it is of use to us is how we see it

Maybe it's all an illusion, man

>pic related
If dubs Jaden Smith was right all along and we owe him an apology

the device, a paperclip, is what you use as starting point.

a paperclip is a bent piece of metal, but if you start with a paperclip, then the piece of metal is an unbend paperclip.

>go to the supermarket
>buy office supplies
>bent
>potential
>buy office supplies
>go to the supermarket

No it's not

One had the modification to it after it became a paperclip
One had the modification to it before it became a paperclip

I think there is a difference between a shitty chair and a broken chair

Your post is retarded

You can buy basic office supplies at supermarkets (like Walmart, Kmart here in the US)

Get off Sup Forums, you 3rd world scum

Go back to Hispachan you fucking beaner

I agree, it's re-bent

>a paperclip is a bent piece of metal, but if you start with a paperclip, then the piece of metal is an unbend paperclip.

Wise words

Better explained that some of these natural speaking English fags

Both are chairs though. Functional or not.

99.99999% of paperclips are manufactured mechanically from the spool, not handcrafted by hobbyists such as yourself. So functionally, your counterargument is statistically irrelevant and can be completely ignored.

This is a dumb argument

You can't define "shitty and possibly fucked up'
So Idk what you are talking about

So let's say I am building a chair and don't put the legs on the bottom and I don't put the back on the bottom either

A chair can only be defined as a piece of furniture with a bottom and a back

You can add adjectives to the word "chair" like
"Backless Chair"

But a backless chair is not a chair

You can add a modification to a word to express your idea more clearly within the constraints of language but a backless chair is not a chair

So if you made a "shitty" chair and it happened to not have a back, it's not a chair

It's unfinished hunks of wood technically but as we would say it's "An Unfinished Chair"

>statistically irrelevant

The definition of a paperclip does not take into consideration the manner in which it is manufactured

You are a fucking retard

>hurr durr 99% engines are designed by professional ABET accredited engineers so it's not an engine if it was not designed by ABET accredited engineers

The paperclip in the picture came from a machine, not your custom paperclip shop. Your hypotheticals don't count for shit. Prove otherwise, dick sucker.

>The paperclip in the picture came from a machine
You can't prove that