Hey Sup Forums what's the most important things to know when choosing a college?

Hey Sup Forums what's the most important things to know when choosing a college?
other then the obvious things like what I want to do with my life.

I play sports so the financials are lower for the most part.

Do I look for my best price offer? Do I choose based on what campus I like best? or other things like best educational program?

by far the most important thing will be the professional contacts you can acquire who look to you for advice and leadership through the rest of your working life

so go to the the best place you can for your chosen discipline, the place looked at as having the best alumni. unsurprisingly it will probably be a pretty good uni

>I play sports
You being on Sup Forums makes that statement a suspect one...

>what to look for in a college
Basically, make sure that whatever college you go to is actually a fucking college. If it says "community" in front of it, or has the word "college" anywhere in the title, it's not a fucking college.

If you're too much of a failure to actually get into a real university, and HAVE to resort to the television/community level, make sure you choose community.

Employers laugh their balls off if you put something like "university of phoenix" or "kaplan" or "ITT Tech" on a resume. I would hire someone with that on their resume just so I could fire them the next day and watch all their hopes and dreams shatter.

Basically, if you're not good enough to get into a real university that has an application process (meaning you could be denied), you're honestly better off joining the military or killing yourself.

So focus on the subject not the schools overall sort of record?

I'm new to a lot of this shit, I am going to be the first in my family to ever go.

First question, before where, is why? What do you want to accomplish while you are there?

Not saying you shouldn't go, but junior year is the wrong time to decide why you're there.

truth

It's only D3 anybody who isn't a manlet can do it.

Good note, if incase something goes wrong and I'd be forced to go to a community college I'll just join the military or kill myself.

I'm a senior in highschool (18) I was thinking education in PE or some form of History. Maybe pick up coaching.

>Public vs private school
State schools/public universities will give you the better education because they don't really care if you fail out. So you have to work for your grades. While private universities will spoon feed their students and baby them along. Yes it will be easier but you won't learn as much.

>Big city or college town
Big cites are fun and all. They prob have more to do but it will also cost more to live. And the big cities school community will be more individualized. A college town will be more of a community (which is better IMO) and will cost less to live. House parties are more prevalent. Mostly because there is not much else to do.

>community college

I think you missed what I was getting at here.

There's nothing wrong with going to a community college to take your gen eds... especially if you're a poorfag and can't get loans or scholarships right away.

What I was getting at is don't FINISH there. If you're going to go to a college, and you don't at least get a bachelors (which like 90% of community colleges won't let you get from them unless it's to be a medical assistant), that's the point when you should kill yourself.

One bit of warning about doing gen eds at a community college, make sure you get a list of the shit that the real college will take in transfer, or you're going to have a bitch of a time when you do transfer, and will probably have to retake shit and pay like 4x more for it at the bigboy level. (Source: that's the shit I tried to do and the lesson I learned from it).

This path is not likely to be remunerative. Hard to get hired as a history teacher, even with coaching potential, and teacher pay will continue to slide.

>PE
>History
>Coaching

These are all fail professions bro. That's all shit that people do as a back up plan.

If you want to be something marketable, get into STEM shit son. Engineering is easy as fuck and that's where all the fucking money is.

I have noticed it along my visits that College Towns have nothing to fucking do. Most of my schools that want to recruit me are all the way North of NY. Being I'm in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea about the last one but I have a feeling it's no diffrent then the other 3. Only one is state but the tuition offer they gave me is sort of shit.

>Engineering is easy as fuck
You're at the wrong school.

Go to med school

i mean if you're looking at the price at all it's obviously a factor so you need to meet that with the degree. the degree is what will land you your career. but you don't need college you just need the people you'd meet there

I have been told this a lot, so what I was thinking was for the first year and a half I'm going to get essential credits done, then make my finale call.

School size is also important. If the school is real small than it will be boring but if it's a decent size and is a college town then it won't be too bad.

>wrong school
I got my masters from UNLV actually. It's not MIT, but the program wasn't exactly easy.

I'm not retarded though, so it wasn't actually all that hard, just a shit ton of work.

The truth is, all college is easy if you're focusing on doing the work instead of being a college faggot that wants the "college experience", which is why so many people fuck college up. Treating it like a meat market and fucking your classes up is what makes it hard.

Just don't distract yourself and make something of your life. You'll score way hotter chicks later in your life than the fucking doorknob bitches that want to fuck the frat guys and get herpes.

>get into STEM shit son
>Go to med school
Better advice: choose something suited to your strengths. What are your strengths?

need the people you'd meet?

please explain, I have been starved for real info

>year and a half
Anything worth doing will take 2 at the community level.

If you're going to go medical, you can do 3 of your years at the community level and then go on to big boy college. (med you'll be doing 7 years easy. 6 for law, but law is pleb tier.)

If you look at college as a prerequisite for a job then pick a technical profession like engineering or useless arts like multimedia. Avoid science like bio or chem. Physics and math OK if you are good at it, they will be useful for prop trading positions and quant finance.

If you want to develop your interests and think about career later, then pick literally what you enjoy doing. You'll have fun that way, and meet a lot of cool people.

Tldr there's no one major that is best or one method to approach college.

side note - being in the 4th ranked clan in the world at Call of Duty isn't a strength.

>Hey Sup Forums what's the most important things to know when choosing a college?

THE COST.

>I play sports so the financials are lower for the most part.

PFT. Do you have scholarships? "playing sports" doesn't magically lower the cost. Do you have scholarships you can take ANYWHERE?

EVEN if you get a full-ride sports scholarship, make sure you actually study something that's actually useful and get the degree. Remember, the entire reason you killed so many braincells getting hit in the head in your sport is to trick some people into paying THE COST of college where you can actually make yourself valuable.

>Do I look for my best price offer?

Best price for a real education. The term you want to look for is "accredited". If it's not accredited, it's not a real college and it's a scam.

>Do I choose based on what campus I like best?

Fuck no, unless you're a shallow cunt that's easily fooled.

> or other things like best educational program?

Well, sure. That's the main quality decider. That's WHY you're going to college. But pretty much any accredited college is going to be at least ok. Some schools stand out and are important to get into if you're the real cutting edge top of your class.

...But you're asking college advice on Sup Forums. That ship has sailed. So, really, whatever accredited college you can find. Perferably the cheapest. Which usually equates to whoever the fuck you can get some scholarships from.

>The truth is, all college is easy if you're focusing on doing the work
That's what's fucked up about it. If you want to hire someone out of college, you have no idea whether they've developed any understanding. Same goes for the students at MIT; it is impossible to flunk out of an Ivy, so you have to look at internships and undergrad research.

Thanks user the advice is noted

I'm reading all the info on this thread. Anything I have been told about college has been from the Colleges them selves selling me there bullshit or people who haven't been there.

>If it's not accredited, it's not a real college and it's a scam.
They're all scams, to varying degrees, these days.

>Avoid science like bio or chem. Physics and math OK if you are good at it, they will be useful for prop trading positions and quant finance.
Don't listen to this guy, biochemistry is booming field right now and chemistry is a solid field. Who makes the medicine, shampoo, oil, plastics, batteries, perfumes, etc that drive our modern world? In every sector of industry you can find a chemist

Bio and chem are fine as long as you're not trying to be an academic.

>want to hire someone out of college

You need to lose that fantasy real fast my nigga.

Employers don't want people right out of college. College fills kids up with the notion that they're worth more than what they're going to be offered at entry level.

The truth is that you're not worth more. You're worth what you're going to be offered.

Employers hate college kids because they have to be trained even more than someone with no education. College kids are only good at being college kids, not productive members of society or productive employees.

What employers really want to do is hire someone and then SEND that person to college so they get the education THEY WANT THEM TO HAVE. And trust me, they'll keep you away from all that liberal bullshit as a point of principle.

Understanding how to be a student is fucking worthless. Understanding how to do a job doesn't come from a college classroom, it comes from experience. That's why employers want a degree AND x amount of years experience.

>If you look at college as a prerequisite for a job
Other than the idle rich, who doesn't?

>pick ... or useless arts like multimedia.
Huh? Is that real advice?

>Avoid science like bio or chem.
Yep. Unless you KNOW you're smart enough and interested enough to get a masters and/or PHD. Then those are legit choices insofaras a good groundwork for whatever your doctorate is in. But a BS in bio gets you a highschool teaching gig or grunt-work as a technitian in a lab that's about to replace you with a robot. Same for for physics really.

Math actually transfers to a hell of a lot of jobs, but don't delude yourself thinking you'll go into "the math field". Like the guy said, quant-dev or trading.

>Tldr there's no one major that is best or one method to approach college.
If you've got the fucking money to afford it.

Why would being an academic be bad? Is a professor a bad job? I'd say it's not a bad job

>Employers don't want people right out of college
Listen to this dumb fuck with the worthless degree.

I got a CprE degree and had offers before I graduated and made enough bank to pay off the loans in 3 years.

It's almost impossible to get.

I'm going to look into "accredited" I have a feeling I know which ones might or might not be. With price I'm looking to start doing the scholarships I can take places. On paper I live like shit, 1 parent 4 kids so I'm good on the fasfa and parents agreed to pay/help. Very unsure about it.

Best offer in price is a 50000-60000 dollar Private Catholic School that they bumped down with room and bored down to 15000. The nice thing is the coaches told me to ask and they may be able to get it even lower.

Now is work study worth it or is it bullshit?

Why don't you name the schools?

>worthless degree
Yep. You nailed it. I wasted my life becoming a mechanical engineer. That's why I clear 200k working for Ford's engineering department.

I should have spent my time in women's studies. That's where the REAL fucking bank is.

Maybe if you are unwilling to move around to find a job then yes

eeeeehhhhhh.... It's a different sort of job.

1) You never get paid as much as the pros.

2) It's a fallback job for a lot of dumb fucks. If you can't do, teach.

3) POLITICS. If you can't pay that game, you won't survive academia.

4) You get to see a bunch of hot young people every day and college towns are fun

5) Academia is more relaxed about some things, but it's publish or perish.

6) Like the military, it's one of those up or out things. BUNCH of young adjunct professors jokeying and clawing for tenure. One gets it, the others get the boot.

7) Once you hit tenure (and there's multiple levels) you can essentially retire from the political game and fuck around as much as you want.

I believe it

>Post tax returns or don't shoot your mouth off

>almost impossible to get

That's where you're wrong.

It's easy to become a professor... an ADJUNCT professor. What you mean is that it's almost impossible to become a tenured professor, which I completely agree with.

BTW: Adjunct Professor = Temp Job. It's a basic bitch position that barely makes 18,000 a semester.

For every tenure track opening there are ten people looking for a tenure track job. It can't work out more than 10% of the time.

>post tax returns

Ok Hillary.

>I'm looking to start doing the scholarships I can take places.

You're a junior right? You "start doing scholarships" like a YEAR before you graduate.

>that I can take places
Good fucking luck doing that with sports scholarships. Why the fuck would a fan of the NYU Don'tGiveAFucks pay some fucker to go play for the USC StillDon'tCares?

Go to Buffalo. School is decent (though trying too hard to be research) and city has a decent amount to do. If you are looking for in NY that is.

I say avoid bio and chem because they are too specialized. You can only work in biosciences or teach sciences with those degrees.

Physics and math can be transferred to finance and tech. That's three fields.

I also meant to say useful arts like multimedia, sorry.

I know poor people who got in with scholarships but are pursuing their passion in history, classics, Italian studies. These aren't immediately applicable to common jobs. It's not only rich people that pursue these majors. It's people with passion.

I agree with most of what you listed but politics will happen at any job you have

But disagree with 2 and 6 and for 5 in industry in sci R&D its get good results to bring us money but you are costing us too much money doing it...aka completely profit driven (makes sense for a company but sucks for the science)

>That's why I clear 200k working for Ford's engineering department.

>I should have spent my time in women's studies. That's where the REAL fucking bank is.

. . . do these two things jive with each other in your head or did you have an aneurysm between sentences?

I don't want to somehow for some reason find this getting back to me.

I know it probably never will but it's just cautious actions.

My favorite one is all those early 30s fat ugly bitches who go for medical assistant school..

... only to find out that there's 2200 of them a semester and 20 jobs annually nationwide.

>mfw "the college told me that their job placement will get me hired within 6 months of graduation with a 90% success rate"

Look for a college that has a decent department for your degree. If you want to play sports then find one that has your degree and willing to give you scholarships. ALSO don't lose them because student loans will fuck you.

>not understanding sarcasm

Not this.

College is the best four years of your life. Don't be a faggot and spend the whole thing studying.

And you wont meet hotter chicks in real life. College is the easiest place to meet and make friends.

Also do not go to com college to get your basics, you are wasting 2 of your 4 years.

>I say avoid bio and chem because they are too specialized
A chemist can get a job in just about any industry, but def not bio

Don't go to college. all you'll do is get yourself in a fuck ton of debt and end up in some shitty dead-end job anyway. Sell drugs instead

>4 years
>masters

Tell me how this is accomplished. I'm fucking dying to know what I did wrong.

Naw kiddo, unless it's a super-small school you're safe in the sea of worthless fucks also thinking about college.

But hey, being cautious online is a good thing. Keep it up.

>I know poor people who got in with scholarships but are pursuing their passion in history, classics, Italian studies. These aren't immediately applicable to common jobs. It's not only rich people that pursue these majors. It's people with passion.

Oh, the perpetual poor. ok.

No. Google has little use for chemists. 2sigma has little use for chemists. Morgan Stanley has little use for chemists. HBO has little use for chemists.

All those positions can be filled by a mathematician.

This guy is half retarded.

No, you are not worth more than what they offer you.

But, you will not magically land a job without college in the first place. Thats some bullshit right there.

I'm not sure you understand how tenure and professor title works but you are right it's harder to get tenured because there isn't a lot of those jobs but you typically become a professor before even considering that

With sports this isn't even an option.

it's cheaper for me to attend these schools instead of going to a comm college (so I have been told)

I will say I am a football player looking at D3 school, the nice thing is I can quit the sports if I wished and keep all financials.

Assistant professor is the start of the tenure track. Adjuncting is the start of hell.

Oil, paint, food, medicine, alcohol, agriculture, paint, water treatment for drinking water, companies and etc love chemists

. . .What if he sells drugs IN college?

don't let anyone scare you from community colleges, they get a shit reputation for supplying the poor, lost, or logistically intelligent people with an education for no reason.

if you don't know what to do, don't spend more than 10 grand on a fucking school. honestly. Every single story of someone going off to university right after high school without any direction ends up with them dropping out, or getting nothing out of it and winding up with a pile of debt.

I would recommend, take a gap year to sort your shit out. Universities love that shit -- if you tell them you took a year off to work on discipline and direction and show them some results (savings, some symbol of independence, volunteer hours) they'll be very impressed. Other than that, I would prioritize your questions it like this:

1. look at the campus and the people when you visit. get a feel for the place. if you don't like it, don't do it

2. Price is next - if you don't get a return on your money, you've fucked yourself in a lot of ways. If it's expensive, make sure you know what you want to do and how you're going to achieve it. don't choose an expensive school because you've surrendered to the idea of "Im just going to live with a pile of debt for 15 years." it's a waste.

3. Find a school that has good educational programs. some websites you can look at are US News, business insider, and college board for some rankings and all that stuff.

Seek guidance. it's kind of tough, because a lot of people have their asses full of shit about this kind of stuff, but if you find someone who you trust who doesn't have any seeable alterior motives, talk to them about it all.

Here's something that's probably the most important to keep in mind: do shit on your OWN schedule. if anyone on here or anyone in your life is pressuring you to go into college and you're not sure about it, don't make a dumb decision and regret it your whole life.

It's like there are a fuckton of industries out there that both need people with different specialized skills.

If only there was some place people could go to get these skills.

We don't know what D3 is.
Yeah, if you're looking at sports scholarships, the traditional advice of getting the genEd pre-reqs out of the way at a community college isn't going to work out.

Go big and flashy and milk whatever dumb fuckers will give you money to dress up in spandex move a ball over some grass.

Then serve yourself and get a quality education on their dime. Remember why you're there.

Well you certainly nailed the "smarmy bitch" persona. That take you 2 years?

All science field. You are limited to a scientist forever. You better never get tired of it.

Trying to avoid giving you stupid-ass advice like nearly everyone else. No one can tell you what school will be best for you, but if you are already dead set on a major and are in the U.S., get the U.S. News and World Report Best Graduate Schools thing. Note: Not "America's Best Colleges", but the grad school version of it. Look up what schools have decent graduate programs in the subject in which you want to major. These schools will have the best-known faculty in your subject, and it's probably worth considering them, since you may be able to make really solid connections in your field. If you're undecided, just forget all about this strategy since it'll do no good and you don't want to end up at some fairly shitty school that has a decent chemistry department if a semester into your studies you decide you want to be a business major or something.

Anyone hired at the title of full professor will be immediately offered tenure. user is talking about tenure-track positions, not tenured positions or full professor positions, and he clearly knows more than you, to be blunt.

Right, I guess I forget I'm on a site full of faggots sometimes. Just know D3 isn't as serious but the Coach's are still willing to bend for me to play for them.

I'm going to ask each one if they can maybe give me a better deal just to milk prices.

Any suggestions on making MORE money for college?

Did you miss the part where he's hoping for a football scholarship?

People who "used to play ball in highschool" are worth jack fucking shit. If he doesn't have a scholarship IN HAND, BEFORE he graduates, then he has no scholarships.

>I would recommend, take a gap year to sort your shit out. Universities love that shit
The FUCK!?

It's UNI. They don't give a fuck what you do as long as you PAY. Only the tippy-top places actually give a fuck about admissions and can afford to be exclusive. And those places have two class of students: Those with rich daddies and those who are smart enough to get full-ride scholarships and boost the esteem of the school.

The bored office worker filing your paperwork don't give a fuck about what your shit or how you sort it.

>1. look at the campus

OH LOOK! A SHRUBBERY! I am duly impressed!

>Seek guidance. it's kind of tough, because a lot of people have their asses full of shit about this kind of stuff, but if you find someone who you trust who doesn't have any seeable alterior motives, talk to them about it all.

....YEAH, like the motherfucking GUIDANCE COUNSELLORS at the college who are PAID to help you.

It's better than what the jobs listed here are IMO I enjoy doing experiments no one has done before, using advanced technology to do them and thus helping progress the knowledge of mankind to understand the work we live in. Plus the education allows you to understand how the world around you actually works. I haven't been disappointed yet

That's a fair compromise. But going to college for anything but STEM is a total waste if time. i've met loads of people over the years who regretted going to college and were stuck doing shitty jobs because their qualifications weren't worth shit. Reconsider OP Seriously, or one day you'll wish you had...

this guy is full retard.

... because nowhere did I say that you would.

Lrn2read faggot.

Guidence Counsellors are a sick joke that feed you bullshit.

Sorry, I missed the part where you said you want to be a PE teacher. Ignore my advice and good fuckin' luck.

Thanks anons it's been much appreciated.

Assuming the threads going to die soon but it did help at least put in better research into the schools that I'm looking at.