Is it just me, or does the classic stormtrooper armor look silly on modern film...

Is it just me, or does the classic stormtrooper armor look silly on modern film? Looking at some of the footage from Rogue One, they just don't look like they fit in with everything else. Like they just don't look like the sort run of the mill imperial grunts you would see out on patrol.

Other urls found in this thread:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Army
youtube.com/watch?v=uAtLV26wnCE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The design is okay, but the actual costumes are retarded. Look like they were made out of cardboard tubes for a cosplay. They should change the actual armour and keep the helmets.

>wear full body armor
>still die with one shot

It's just an aesthetic thing with me. The classic stormtroopers only look properly equipped to operate on the death star from one bulkhead to another, or to engage in boarding actions, the "shoretroopers" should be the actual field troops.

>they just don't look like they fit in with everything else
Yeah, the difference is that they look good and everything else looks like overdesigned shit.

But there were regular old stormtroopers on tattooine in ANH.

This. It's not that the classic armor looks bad, it's just that Disney's designs are shit.

They would probably look better if they were made of some more modern materials. ABS Plastic is fine for 1970s/1980s grainy stock film, but we have pretty good looking fiberglass materials that are lightweight and look metallic.

This is correct. Anything that's 'new' in this film doesn't match the look of Star Wars

>but the actual costumes are retarded

"AND EVERYTHING'S MADE OF FUCKING LEGO"
"oh, 'Star Wars'"

I was kind of under the impression that they had only been ferried in as part of the massive post Tantiv IV search operation. They probably didn't come with the regulation kit for ground operations, as they weren't anticipating an extended ground combat operation.

That's just become more and more of a problem with star wars with each new installment. I realize that you can't very have the stormtrooper hit their targets (otherwise our protagonist would be dead very quickly) but on the flipside making the main enemy encountered by the cast too weak, and too nerfed just kills any sense of tension. There should be some happy medium. Why would a galaxy spanning empire tolerate the fact that it's most elite troops, who incidentally also form the backbone of its ground forces, are completely ineffective? In 40k, just as an example, the Imperial Guard are considered in universe to be expendable, but in both the fluff and on the tabletop they are surprisingly tough, and by 40k standards they're the cannon fodder troops!

Just as a comparison

Because it looks like a fan youtube short film using 70s props idea of what a scifi scary guards would look like

The thing that never made sense to me was why their armor is always white regardless of what kind of environment they're in, it's like all the Empire has is arctic camo.

In the ex-EU they had differing armor skins.

I hope it's most like The Bridge on the River Kwai. An ensemble piece where you're pitted against impossible odds, then it is "do we steal the plans, or go back for our buddies?" Also mains die.

I'd watch it.

I'd pay real money to see a 40k movie if it just had this one shot in it, in all its glory.

only because you are used to the classic star wars look, and seeing CGI, or different characters along with an original thing is confusing.

The Rogue One armor is very different to the ANH armor, which was different to ESB, which was different to ROTJ.

It's speculated that the Rogue One armor was redesigned for better mobility for action shots. They can sprint in that armor and even sit. You couldn't do that with how ANH armor was built.

that's what happens when you turn fantasy into real

It would be nice if they tried to match the old stuff up with the new stuff a little better, so its not so jarring. I understand, from a design perspective, that's kind of the main problem with going to back to revisit an older license (i.e. the prequels) but damn it just always takes me out of the picture.

I would argue that in the original trilogy the only time it doesn't make sense is during the Battle of Endor, where the scout troopers should have camouflaged armor, as it was the only time (iirc) during the movies that a fighting force was actually mobilized.
It would make sense that they would wear the white armor on the Death Star and when they're doing security on Tatooine or Bespin as it makes them stand out.

Looks pretty good to me, but the guy standing in the middle looks like he has a kids Halloween costume.

It's a typical cash-grab. If you don't like the designs don't pay to see the movie. Simple.

Shit exploded all over the place

Actually I like some of the new designs, the film just seems to lacking the appropriate transitional element to integrate them into the movie.

What is even the crap on the back supposed to be?

None of that negates what I said.

The canister is for grenades if I recall correctly. Never cared enough about red-shirt armor to bother finding out about the rest.

thermal detonator

Well okay then.

Yeah, I understand that. But what about the shape molds on the back of the torso? In the originals, I always thought it was supposed to look like some sort electronics that they lazily molded as part of the armor, but since they continued to include it, makes me think it is realistically supposed to be something.

Very basic life support systems.

I always thought the armor was part of some modular hazardous environment system. Like there would different configurations for different enviroments (vacuum, toxic methane rich environments, desert enviroments etc.)

You donkey! The stormtroopers are the Nazi SS of the Empire. They're the elite political fanatics and get the best armour and weapons. There are normal soldiers wearing cloth uniforms and carrying only shitty blasters.

Because it's not supposed to be camouflage. The emperor was all about using intimidation, even when it wasn't practical.

With storm troopers you just get endless waves of identical faceless guys in bone white armor with vaguely skull like masks. No matter how many you kill, more keep coming. It doesn't matter that you cant see shit out of a helmet like that, or that their armor is completely ineffective, they're disposable.

Nah.

Yeah I know about the Imperial army, but are they still canon now that the EU has been nuked?

No.

Oh, I get it now. The molds in the armor would give room for electronics under the armor.

Is he wearing a Pip-Boy?

Bingo.

No. Most likely the same style of utility wrist brace Boba Fett wears.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Army

Yeah but the problem with that theory is the empire still spends a lot of money on assets like Star Destroyers and the Death Star, so the empire doesn't operate that far on the quantity over quality end of the spectrum. If they did, why not just use the space bucks you would have spent on the death star and instead just recruit ten billion more disposable ground troops? Fuck why even give the stormtroopers guns at all, just give them pointy sticks it they are that expendable.

>another one is beginning to realize that star wars is shit and has always been shit

Have you seen the original star wars? They look the same

No, but the death stars and star destroyers are still intimidation tactics.

In universe a single star destroyer could still slag a planet and make it inhospitable. And the death star is just the end of that slippery slope. Its a psychological weapon of intimidation as much as it is an actual weapon.

>ten billion ground troops can detonate an entire planet

>focusing on one extreme or the other

The empire does both mate. They maintain a massive army AND have spooky weapons of mass destruction.
Anything else is ineffective. I mean just look at the Rebels and the Resistance. All they have are expendable troops (if you discount the plot-armor characters). In the ex-EU the Imps were still a major threat up until and beyond the Vong invasion. In the nu-EU the empire is still winning, even with the loss of the starkiller.

>belt is two pieces that don't even connect properly
What the fuck is their costume team doing

it would be really easy to kill stormtroopers if you could half sword a light saber, but you cant because of muh special gimmicky swords

yet another reason star wars is utter shit.

Why the detonate a planet when you can occupy it and institute space taxes to get more of those sweet space bucks

hahaha what

It looks like cheap plastic and always has. You just don't notice that sort of thing when you're a kid and everything else is done well

half swording. literally a technique to kill those wearing armour.

cant do it with these shitty gimmick weapons because your hand would be obliterated.

Why occupy a planet when you can blow its moon up, instilling so much fear they pay the tithes without you needing to land more than a diplomat on the surface.

You fire all ten billion stormtroopers at once out of broadside cannons at the planet

It's the easiest thing in the world to kill a stormtrooper as is user.

>never any wounded troopers in the movies, all dead with 1 blaster/rifle shot
>leia gets shot but doesn't die instantly

its really easy to kill stormtroopers with a lightsaber as is, why would anyone want to half sword it

doesn't someone literally have a sword fight in the latest film?

Yeah, a "sword fight". Finn is using the lightsaber and the one trooper is using a baton.

youtube.com/watch?v=uAtLV26wnCE
the armor does literally nothing

No they have a melee.

Because even doing that isn't a gurantee that resistance cells won't spring up on the planet. It's kind of like how the soviets would wipe out entire villages in Afghanistan but stopped short of total genocide, which only guaranteed that rebels still alive in other villages and mountain caves would just hate them more and fight even harder

Who cares though? If you have no feet on the planet, the only targets they can attack are their own people, which most often than not increases the support for the empire.
Besides no casualties on your side, you still have your super weapon and a fleet of ships that can blockade the planet and if necessary, bombard certain areas.

It's literally a win-win.

because you can't grab lightsabers?
lol ok