"I've met a lot of dumb people," Cobain told Melody Maker in 1993. "They have a shitty job, they may be totally lonely...

"I've met a lot of dumb people," Cobain told Melody Maker in 1993. "They have a shitty job, they may be totally lonely, they don't have a girlfriend, they don't have much of a social life, and yet, for some reason, they're happy." Coming from a guy who seemed to have everything and yet wasn't happy himself, you can understand his fascination.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=49alQj7c5ps
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"I've met a lot of dumb people," says the guy who thought music theory was irrelevant

Just because he's famous doesn't mean his opinion is any better than some random Joe. His view of dumb is different from other people's view of how some dumb would be. Fucking dumb.

Kurt was right though. True innovators don't need to read textbooks to be good musicians. it's just a theory, pleb.

Dylan can't read music.

says the guy who can't point a shotgun in the right direction

So basically he thinks people who aren't insecure pussies are dumb. Sounds like the kind of guy who would blow his brains out yup.

t. 15 year old edgelord

but it is desu, hes nirvana not dream theater

I'm p sure you two don't actually know what music theory is

The more I hear about Kurt Cobain the more I realise he spent his his life acting like menstrual tumblr girl as a grown adult. Watch that clip of him vs the bodyguard where he hits him on the head with his guitar like a cocky shit, then acts like a little bitch victim when the guard justifiably starts beating into him (then chris and dave have to come to the rescue for shit he started.) It's fucking pathetic, I can't believe at one point I thought he was cool. Glad I never took too much influence from him.

Nirvana is literally the worst "grunge" band.

And even if you dont realize Alice in Chains and especially Cantrell/Staley are leagues above him heres another pill to swallow.

Grunge isnt even the most influential genre at that time, it was fucking Stoner.

He has a point. It's a bit cynical but anyone who is realistic about life's struggles have been cynical at one point or another.

Theyre right though
Music theory is descriptive, not prescriptive

You realize most guitarists know basic music theory right? They don't just go out there and randomly hit notes.

no they're not right, dude said you need to read textbooks and it's just a "theory"

>It's another "edgy sadfag thinks he's smarter than everyone else" episode

This guy needs to kill himself

But music theory is just that, a theory
There is no proof for music

physically, socially, economically, women never liked me, i understand. You reach a point where you stop caring, or you kill yourself, im too much of a coward to kill myself. You have to live your life. Im content with not doing anything, staying at home, waiting for death.
I know im a failure.
If i went out it would be a waste of time, no one would talk to me, especially women, im nothing, im a pariah. So why not stay in a place where you are happy. I sometimes wonder if kurt was a moron, he is incredibly good looking but had sever low self esteem. He is pretty much using the"lol dude just b urself" argument.
"lol dude just go outside and get a gf, its easy"

lol, yeah you don't know what music theory is

google it man

>There is no proof for music
What? Is this some post ironic shitposting?

No because like the 'theory' of evolution it's just a theory you choose to believe

Show me some evidence for this 'theory'

2/10

Why are Bible thumpers here? This site is truly irredeemable.

Everyone lowkey know KC is overrated. This dude just ripped off the Melvins and Mudhoney. If you put on his entire discography on shuffleplay, you KNOW the song is going to be about one of the following:
>muh aimless depression
>muh perpetual teenage angst
>huh huh heroin
>sex with junkie whores
>muh Catcher in the Rye
>cover song of superior musician
>i'm too stupid to figure shit out so i'm just going to scream random words
>here's this book i didn't read but iggy pop told me about.

He was the dumb one though.

Also, for people that don't understand music theory and call KC a genius, here's what he does:
-tune his guitar to some random dissonant tuning
-play standard major-minor chords
-voila, "avant garde"

lol what's up with the Kurt hate?

Music theory isn't "just a theory" about sounds causing reactions in humans. That has very little to do with it. Just because "theory" is in the title doesn't mean it's some vague idea.

Music theory is the practice of putting labels on scales/chords/rhythms/chord-progressions so you can move quicker when creating music and talking about music.

Whether or not you want to, you automatically learn it as a musician. The only way you couldn't learn it is if you were deaf, mute and had no access to other people or the internet. Of course, most self-taught musicians already embrace music theory and learn it on their own. Those who don't just have a poor understanding of it and progress at a slower pace.

You're forced to reinvent the wheel when centuries' worth of musicians have already created what you think is innovative and surpassed it.

Music theory doesn't have to be prescriptivist, and often isn't.

Good post :)

>climate change is just a theory senpai

Good blogpost

>-tune his guitar to some random dissonant tuning
He never did this. He literally just played power chords in standard tuning for his entire career.

In Utero is standard Eb with drop DB though

Actually his songs loosely conform to two species counterpoint, but he was copying The Beatles, who were guided by music scholar George Martin.

I mean two voices counterpoint

Yeah that's cool, but it's just a theory. Plus, Music theory itself is subjective. You can't be this autistic, right?

If you don't know music theory, you're going to sound like any other "creative" soundcloud musician. Once you realize that the music you make is shit, say 10 years from now, you will never want to listen to the daisy-chain stoner tripe you made again.

I dont think anyone thinks Nirvana or Kurt Cobain were avant garde at all. Also, do you have an example of a song where he does what you describe?

What the fuck cunt? Firstly, I know music theory. Secondly, music is subjective, not objective, e.g music theory doesn't describe how to make the best song ever.

>Once you realize that the music you make is shit

I think it's shit, but apparently it sounds good to plenty of other people, both anonymous and not. People offering to buy my music feels pretty good desu.

>daisy-chain stoner tripe
yeah nah, don't make that m808.

Music theory was made to be broken, just in the right spots ;)

Tip: none of them are actually happy. Kurt was just too autistic to understand that people put on a good show for others so as to not burden everyone around them, like he did.

Kek no one has ever called nirvana "avant-garde". Their music is really musically simple but effective.

>avant-garde
what

>it's just a theory, pleb.
lol you are retarded.

You need to be +18 to browse this board

>btw stoner became a "thing" when the 90s ended

That's like saying algebra is just a theory. If you're trying to create a certain sound, it's easier when you already have labels on certain patterns that help you remember them. Otherwise, you're left to guess via trial and error, which takes more time.

Why do you insist on being slow? Are you really this retarded?

lol MUH glam meta---- HOLY KEK GUYS WE NEED TO START ACTING DARK AND STRAANGGGEEE MUH GRUNGE IS GETTING BIG.

The answer is yes for anyone who refuses to learn "music theory," yet still wants to make music. They're legit too dumb and lazy to learn.

Nirvana is literally "I'm 13 and I hate my parents" music

algebra is 100% constant, there are rules that must be followed or the end result will not be correct. There are zero exceptions. If music theory is right 100% of the time, why can I play notes and chords out of key and still sound in tune?

go away

I know music theory though.

nice argument faggot

go away

posts like these make me laugh because they only demonstrate how completely fucking useless music theory is when it comes to understanding why one song or artist is better than another

and no, i don't mean objectively better (according to your theory), i mean subjectively - in the case of Nirvana they are liked en masse by huge swathes of the public, and why? your theory cannot tell me, according to you it's just basic rudimentary shit and of little artistic value

music theory is good for rating music according to music theory, and little else

it will never tell you why people vastly prefer Nirvana over Foo Fighters

music theory isn't constant, otherwise we'd still be listening to those middle age church chorals are whatever. music theory is here to schematize how different styles work

That user who keeps "arguing" for me is being a little bitch.

Music theory is like algebra in that using algebra to create a 3D figures is much quicker when you know the formulas, instead of just drawing from scratch.

Knowing yout intervals, key centers, chord degrees, scales and modes makes it easier. Like algebra, you're still granted the freedom to create what you want. It's a matter of efficiency and speed.

Quit using the argument that music theory is "just a theory". The word theory has multiple denotations, and you're only focusing on the one that doesn't apply to the term.

Once again, not what I was arguing about. Algebra can explain why a certain function returns a value, but music theory can not explain what makes a dissonant song catchy. It's merely a schematic, and thus does not need to be followed constantly.

>Nirvana is loved
>your theory can't tell me

Yes it can. Nirvana tends to rely on parallel fifths, pentatonic scales and chromatic movement. That's the harmonic part of music theory.

Another part of music theory is timbre, aka tone. Knowing how distortion is created can help you mimic the same sounds their guitars made if you really want to. Notice how I didn't suggest that the tone creates a certain reaction. Again, I'm speaking from a creative perspective, not a listening perspective.

Honestly, you just seem afraid that music theory will somehow degrade your ability to create.

>Objectively better
>According to your music theory
Please tell me you're just pretending to be retarded. And thanks for confirming you know absolutely nothing about music theory.

knowing theory doesn't necessarily make you a good musician

and if you think Nirvana is just about using parallel 5ths then why do Nirvana not sound like Van Halen?

please explain using only music theory why Nirvana were a great band

I don't consider them to be a great band at all.

exactly, proved my point

how would you know if you're NOT following it if you don't know it? chances are, you "discovery" will be already covered by music theory

I mean
Music theory is just applied physics and theories of waves and acoustics
To say it's any less objective than something like algebra is dumb as fuck; the intent of music theory isn't to explain what sounds good as much as why certain patterns sound good. It's a descriptive tool, not a normative one

yeah and it gave us 12-tet with no periodicity
thanks, music theory

t. Freshman guitarist at berklee college of music

Never said I didn't know it. lol

algebra isn't subjective, thus, the analogy is pointless.

What the fuck is this? Sup Forums isnt for good arguments you shouldve called him a pleb

>preaches the gospel of music theory
>hates on bible thumpers
kek

>comparing these two things because they both have theory in their name

>and if you think Nirvana is just about using parallel 5ths then why do Nirvana not sound like Van Halen?
Autism: the post

Fellas I gotta say the more I read through this thread the less I fucking understand

>drop d

aka middle school special

This

I have good news user.

>he spent his his life acting like menstrual tumblr girl
shouldn't this board be praising him, then?

Alice in Chains were barely even Grunge, and they'd say that themselves
Soundgarden were better than Nirvana though

seriously wondering how old are you?

that bodyguard was pulling his hair for no reason. just because he was body surfing and he was probably jealous that he's a loser.

If Kurdt were alive today he would be identify as they/them pronouns

damn King Crimson really fell off

>implying the real 15 year old edgelords aren't the ones who claim you need to play 300 bpm metal with odd time signatures in order to make "real music"

Naaah I don't really see many of those. I do see a lot of 15 year old edgelords wearing nirvana shirts and saying music theory is useless though

>nah I don't really see many of those
>therefore they don't exist
t. 15 year old mealfag

look at all the songs that were playing back then compared to him and tell me he wasn't more real than all of them

>sees thread devolve into music theory vs. "le music theory is just a theory" fags
>post this
youtube.com/watch?v=49alQj7c5ps

TYB ADAM

t. Nirvanafag who unironically goes to warped tour every summer

endless nameless is the most avant garde thing he's done, along with milk it

nah I grew out of Nirvana after high school

well a few songs are in drop d

But most of the times it's the psychological shit that people are referring to.

What exactly do think I've proven? Music theory doesn't offer a descriptive method for the quality of music, which you for some reason think it does.

Do you also think that physicists belong to a cult?

lol physics and music are waaay wayy different

it doesn't offer a prescriptive method for the quality of music either, so what does it offer?

nirvana is a pretty good noise rock band

He was pissed because Kurt hit his mixing console with his guitar because it worked like shit.