/prog/ general

It's time for overly-long songs, pseudo-deep lyrics, technical wankery, a neckbeard fanbase, and good ol' fashioned pretentiousness.

It's time for progressive rock.

Other urls found in this thread:

songsouponsea.com/Promenade/ChapterOneA.html
youtube.com/watch?v=qAlLQaDXc4I
youtu.be/xmq4Ny4E_Bk
youtu.be/6PzkPXvmXiw
youtu.be/CIwpu6SB4Oo
youtu.be/vQZGugWUrD8
youtube.com/watch?v=3I7CLy70WtI
youtube.com/watch?v=2haXwpj2rn0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

find a flaw

jazz fusion > prog rock

>longest song is only 7 minutes and 40 seconds long

why not both?

seriously though never heard this. listening right now

I really hate that bit where the bint says 'I'm not your larder I'm your big fat doo dolly" or some such shite.

cuz one is clearly better lol

Are you ready for our boy Steven to drop the AOTY again?

well fuck you buddy
if your genre is so great, you can give me one album and i'll listen and report back

Whenever I see prog rock threads, I never see anybody mentioning Supertramp. Why is that?

Go to sleep, Rick

Will anyone here admit that this is a really fucking great album?

In my opinion ITCOTCK is mid-tier prog. It's not bad by any means, but I don't get why it's prog's icon.

Someone explain.

4 1/2 was dogshit, pal. His collabs has been corny as fuck lately, I hope his new album is going to be decent at least. HCE is a 10/10 tho

okay i'm looking for albums that aren't rock but are still proggy. anyone got any recs?

Well, it was a collection of throwavays
Happiness III is a nice song though

>implying this won't be prog AOTY

their new single is bad senpai

but that sort of absurdist humour waspart of their relationship - it makes it more honest and human to reveal that part of them

its the first prog album (moodyblues arent prog stop memeing them)
you have to give them credit for that. Also some incredibly well written prog songs - showcases maximallist and minimalist songs flawlessly - is technically, artistically and texturally interesting from start to finish
set standard for how to structure a prog album too - with a symmetrical order of intensity from start to finish

I have listened to it like 30 times already, it's great

You disappoint me Sup Forums, Tubular Bells is brilliant.

>pseudo-deep lyrics
It's time to get redpilled, senpai.
songsouponsea.com/Promenade/ChapterOneA.html

The exorcist part is amazing
Rest is very good

who else wants to eat this album?

1. Larks' Tongues in Aspic
2. Discipline
3. In the Court of the Crimson King
4. Red
5. The Great Deceiver

So terrible and mediocre they might as well be classified as prog metal.

>muh old prog is only good prog
kys dad

>not liking some prog metal

Can someone recommend me some prog rock albums or bands who have a lot of open instruments? Looking to sample some stuff

You cannot fully appreciate prog unless you:
a) are watching a performance of the musicians playing
or
b) play an instrument well enough to be capable of visualizing the artists playing

Can someone explain why Sup Forums likes Steven Willson? I find all of his songs kinda lifeless and they feel like a music major presentation of what prog is, just sort of a watered down amalgamation of the many ideas already presented and explored. In all my years here I've yet to understand why he gets any respect.

An absolute classic. Too bad it's not very well known.

He's spoken about that in interviews. People can relate to the atmosphere of his songs and it gives his audience a feeling of empowerment and not being alone. Besides that, he's played with many great musicians and every song is so uniquely his.

>Sup Forums likes Steven Willson
what planet are you on, half of Sup Forums hates him because they are Fantano drones like you

Oh God, this threads are so terrible.

Accept it, prog died in the '79, and it won't be back until prog musicians start to have a bohemian life and do natural drugs, and acid.

>prog died in the '79

>prog died in the '79
No, symphonic prog died in '74. Then crossover prog became a thing, which was far superior to the crusty bloated buttprog that Rush and Yes were shitting out in a desperate attempt to emulate the symphonic greats.

It's not unknown by "prog fandom" standards, at least.
You were saying? youtube.com/watch?v=qAlLQaDXc4I

These threads are terrible because Sup Forums is full of clueless retards who know nothing beyond basic essentials and they don't know there are still many great prog artists making music

>Rush
>buttprog
God this board is a fucking joke
Stick to circlejerking hp-hop you nu-male faggots

Oh, you don't think it died off in 1979?. Well maybe you are right, King Crimson's split up in 1975, Peter Gabriel left Genesis rotting in 1975- to me, the release of A Trick of the Tail was the epitaph for prog's tombstone.
I agree with you, prog was over way before the 79's.

You are one like those idiots who think modern jazz is dead
Try to actually explore new bands and not just getting spoonfed the essentials

>No, symphonic prog died in '74

Oh god you just don't know what you are talking about, don't you?.

>implying someone will ever recapture the unique essence and the true meaning prog had
in the '70s

It's over mate, just accept it.

>progressive music is dead

>Sup Forums hates Steven Wilson for being derivative while circlejerking bland neo psych bands like Tame Impala and King gizzard
lol

t. retards

see I can't deny there are plenty of bands who at least to make prog music, what I'm saying is prog was a huge movement which had life on it's own and which was more than just music.
I'm sorry, this new boys will never be as great as their musical grandparents, and my heart aches because of it.

t. nu-male

recc me something

Idk certain albums are just mentioned more than others.
>pic related
Crime of the Century and Breakfast in America are good albums too

I mean them as a band. At least where I live Supertramp is essential dadrock. My father and the fathers of my friends have all heard Superramp. It's my father's favourite band, and I also like them

By the way, Hogdson having left was not necessarily a bad thing. Better days have come....

Did someone say Prog Rock?
youtu.be/xmq4Ny4E_Bk
youtu.be/6PzkPXvmXiw
youtu.be/CIwpu6SB4Oo
youtu.be/vQZGugWUrD8

No one is talking about the greatest prog rock band of all time?

Are there any modern prog bands out there with good lyrics that don't involve atheism and freethought? I'm rather fond of DtES' Heretics but I haven't really enjoyed a prog record since that

yes

Saw him in London a couple weeks ago. VIP and everything. 6th time seeing a band he's in but first time doing VIP. It was a magical experience, highly recommended. Going to all his UK shows next tour.
Who Flying Colors III hype

Magic Pie
Big Big Train
Transatlantic
The Flower Kings
Neal Morse

i can jerk off to this album daily its so fucking good. it's the perfect whimsical English album I've ever heard. Nine Feet Underground is a masterpiece.

>By the way, Hogdson having left was not necessarily a bad thing. Better days have come....
Disagree, but I agree. Brother Where You Bound was the last great Supertramp record, and was very well done without Rodger, but after the band kinda went down hill.

What's with Talk Talk and animals/nature?

I'm sad that Chick Corea is a Scientologist.

Thats a good ass question user. Theyre underrated.
I love Crime of the century, but have been listening to pic related like fucking crazy recently

yes. Its a really fucking great album.

Some good ass symphonic prog here. Eldorado by ELO is another good symph-prog album

Only nu-males like Rush and other such buttprog, nu-male.

That's not true at all. Prog and Post Rock are my favorite genres and I can't even play Hot Cross Buns on the recorder.

Says the nu-male hipster

>Stupid nu-male
>no u
>no, U
great thread, guys

step aside pleb

HCE was great, much better than Raven, hopefully he doesn't fuck up this time either. I've heard the new album will have a more modern sound to it and he also fired most of his musicians. Should be interesting.

>Mandrake
My nigga, I was just about to make a post about them.

What's your favorite Genesis album and song?

A very valid question. ...Wow, 4/5 of their album covers have some sort of flying creature on them.
Let's see long I have to watch the rather unusual music video for "It's My Life" before birds turns up. ...Five seconds.

What would Mr.Bungle be considered?

I'm not really sure how to even classify them.

Dance with the Moonlit Knight

Abacab.

t. prog expert who has countless reviews in progarchives and an unfinished doctorate thesis about the chord structures of TAAB

If you think that it's pretentious, you've been taken for a ride.

Also if prog died in 1979, explain pic related.

Favorite song is either Supper's Ready or Carpet Crawlers.

wikipedia says this is from 1967, never heard it before but this sounds ahead of it's time

Only 2 types of people manage to listen Collins-era Genesis. Plebs who hate progressive rock or absolute patricians who basically listened the entire genre. I kinda relate to that notion. It's both entry and exit level at the same time.

youtube.com/watch?v=3I7CLy70WtI
Thoughts on this?

I kinda want to reach the prog awareness level of yours.

Literally this.

Pleb level is only liking Collins Genesis.

Normie level is only liking Gabriel Genesis.

Patrician level is when you realize all of Genesis is top tier and that Genesis is the single most clever and gifted prog band of all time; not only surviving the 80s and the 90s, but embracing them.

It's actually not bad at all.

youtube.com/watch?v=2haXwpj2rn0

This is cray cray.

Why find a flaw in what is already perfect?

Album cover is too bland.

90125 isn't Prog.

I love Gabirel-Genesis, but damn I can't go wrong with Duke sometimes. It's their last true 'prog' album.

anything post Drama by YES is garbage. Drama was really well done, it was their best 80s album.

Yeah, it is. Its heavy symphonic and also considered one of the first concept albums of its kind, as you probably read on wikipedia. give it a listen if orchestral rock is your thing

Fact.

FUCKING THIS

It goes even deeper than I thought.
Damn, how how have you gone this long without hearing about Days of Future Passed? The concept is undoubtedly ahead of its time, I'd even argue it's the first PROPER prog record ever made, but the actual style could not be any more mid 60s.
...They didn't survive the 90's, bra. Notice their last record with Collins was 26 years ago.

They were still popular in the 90s is more of what I was getting at. We Can't Dance was 1991, and there was enough desire for a resurgence that they did have another record in 1996. Granted, it wasn't a great record, but there's no doubt Genesis had a bigger impact on the 90s than any of the other big prog bands.

>prog expert

>Why not Supertramp?
To me, Supertramp is more of an pop band that dabbles in prog from time to time, like Crime of the Century and the like.

>They're underrated
>Band that is played to death on the radio

They're about as underrated as Pink Floyd.

Do i listen to extended edition or remastered edition?