Directed by joss whedon

>directed by joss whedon

Why does Whedon hate Cap so much?

Cause cap is an alpha male

Scarjo really does have a hot af body.

It's weird that this is the highest rated marvel flick but it's actually one of the worst

What a fucking dork

It just doesn't hold up that well.

At the time I was hyped as fuck because the Avengers were finally getting together on the big screen. But once you've seen it, you've seen it. There's just not much of a reason to re-watch it since it is ultimately pretty shallow.

The stand-alone movies hold up much better but Civil War is an ensemble that is watchable multiple times since it's not pure spectacle like the first two Avengers.

Honestly nobody knew what the fuck to do with him until the Russo brothers got their hands on him. Captain America: The First Avenger was pretty shit as well but those two seem to have sold their souls to Satan in exchange for the ability to make great Cap movies or some shit. It's uncanny.

What's weird is most people say that.

I think people got caught up in the "coolness" of a successful group of protags joining up.

10\10 would fill this jewess with my semen

Cap 1 wasn't bad. It was just your basic by-the-numbers origin story.

all i remember about this was the nerds screeching because joss whedon tried to make black widow into something other than a man with tits

which is surprising because joss whedon loves men with tits

At the time it was something unique for capeshit and the hype was out of control.

It delivered what people expected from it, a fun, action packed team up movie. The jokes were funny for the most part (which is weird because I thought AoU had pretty awful comedy), the interaction between the characters was good, RDJ was very charming as usual and the action/CGI was pretty great at the time. It's no wonder that it was so well received by both critics and audience. It is pretty dated now though and it doesn't really hold up on a rewatch. The CGI and action are no longer impressive and you already know the jokes so it's not that funny anymore. You have to realize the context and time it was released in and then you'll see why it's so loved. I have fond memories of seeing it release day, but I could never rewatch it now because it's lost that magic.

I loved the first half of the movie. Eapecially the whole makinh captian just a spokesman/posterboy for the army bit.

I'm kinda just over origin stories in general.

I don't need them. OK, he dresses like a spider/bat/American flag/whatever and fights supervillains/crime/Nazis, show me that. I've already bought into the idea that they're a superhero by getting a ticket in the first place, I don't need an explanation as to why they dress like a spider/bat/American flag.

That pic reminds me of captain america

>Joss Whedon, director of the heavily micro managed franchise movie, is in charge of costumes

10/10.

It was the first big team up. I still remember when the trailer they attached at the end of Cap leaked and everyone lost their shit. Fuck, even my parents saw it

I liked first avenger a lot more than Civil War.

Just unf.

>for its time

You make it sound like from another era. It was fucking 2012.

He was in charge of costumes. He's the reason Scarlet Witch has the outfit she does.

With Cap I feel like it's pretty important to show his time in WW2 and how it shaped him as a man/hero. His movies after Cap 1 all deal with stuff that happened to him in the 40s.

>his struggle to accomodate in a new world/new technology in Avengers 1, the whole "man out of time" thing
>his struggle with dealing with 21st century politics in TWS, him realizing that it's no longer a black and white world like in WW2 and dealing with conspiracies and a more grey world (making him team up with Black Widow was a great idea, they're both total opposites and she represents this new, moral grey world)
>him dealing with his past coming back, aka Bucky
>him dealing with the inability to settle down in AoU and realizing he'll always need a battlefield and will never have a home/family ("God's righteous man, pretending you can live without a war", his PTSD-like vision with Peggy Carter, seeing Hawkeye having a family etc.)
>his arc from being a government man in Cap 1 to becoming a full blown insurgent in Civil War

All this couldn't work and would be meaningless without an origin story. Cap is very much tied and influenced by his time spent in WW2.

I've never got the morally grey world argument. He's not dealing with a gray world, he's dealing with a corrupt one.

His story to me was always company man realizes the company is shit and corrupt.

He was dealing with corruption, but his conflict with both Black Widow and Nick Fury in the movie also show him dealing with a more morally grey world/approach to doing things.

See how angry he was in the first mission on the tanker because Fury didn't tell him Black Widow had a separate mission to get intel. He expects clear orders and no shady "behind your back" type of shit and is constantly bickering with Natasha because her methods are way different from his. Also, even before learning about HYDRA, he was against project Insight and surveillance. The "this isn't freedom, this is fear" conversation with Fury shows how he's not used to the way the world works now. Immediately after this conversation, he goes to the WW2 memorial and visits Peggy, showing again his struggle to accomodate.

Except it turns out he's right and it's Black Widow and Fury who have the realization that things aren't all that clear.

Get in line lads

So you're telling me that nobody, from Kevin Fiege right down to the sketch artists, seamstresses and costume makers, designers and executive producers...had any say on the matter beyond Joss' word?

>directed by zack snyder

How did she look so hot in IM2 but then not so much in any other Marvel flicks? Was it just the hair?

>He was in charge of costumes
Source?
I had no idea Joss was a costume designer

He's the director. His outfit wasn't shit in Cap 1 or the Russo flicks, which had the same producers.

WHedon's is the shiny, plastic, sore thumb that sticks out.

>directors have no say in set design and wardrobe

Is this a new meme or just something fags roll out to defend half-assed directing efforts?

I've wondered that too

I think she deliberately acted more feminine in that one, where as after her cover is revealed she starts talking/dressing like a full on lesbian

>4 year old movies are pretty dated

Thanks marvel while both dark knight movies still holds up so does original spiderman

Cap I can kinda go either way on. I get it's important to contrast who he was before and after the SSS treatment and what the War meant but I just have Originitis after seeing Batman, Spiderman, Fantastic 4 (even though the newest one was after Cap 1), X-Men, Superman, Hulk et al rebooted and having their origin stories shown again and again.

It's one of the reasons I think Guardians was so well-received; it was still the origin story of the *team* but the film basically just said "Fuck it, here's a wisecracking pirate thief dude, green assassin chick, a racoon with GUNS LOTS OF GUNS, Vin Treesil and Dave Bautista now hold onto your seats and enjoy the ride."

We still got to see a bit of backstory and motivations but it wasn't belaboured.

The first Iron Man worked despite being an origin story for me because of RDJ's charisma and the commitment of everyone involved. But most superhero origin stories bore me to tears.

The only marvel movie i actually haven't liked was the hulk's, but i can see what you mean.

I think it's more no one really knew anything about GotG. It's true though that the origin story is of the TEAM rather than the individuals.

Yeah I get that. For characters like Batman, Spider-Man, Superman etc. they should really cool down with the origin stories for the next 20 years at least. I'm glad they didn't give Spidey an origin movie yet again in the MCU.

For other characters, like Doctor Strange or Ant-Man, I think it's important to show their origin stories because nobody knows who the fuck they are. Except comic book fans, of course.

>directed by Joss Whedon
Good, I like deep plots.