Can we admit sonic youth were kind of a butt rock band?

I know i know, look they were a huge influence on all of us but i dare you to watch this video it is so bad youtube.com/watch?v=xg3ax6zbc0I

Dirty was buttrock to be honest.

>butt rock
this boards overuse of this phrase is insane. this video/performance is shit, but for other reasons.

This is not buttrock
they're overrated, but buttrock is mostly reserved for post-grunge

Who gives a shit about Sonic Youth post-DDN

They sold out and turned into a forgettable grunge band

t. somebody who never bothered to listen to any Sonic Youth post-Goo and Dirty

The bigger point you are trying to make is that Sonic Youth are not cool and that is 100% true. Thurston is so far up his own ass his own head pops out of his mouth, Kim is a huge fucking tryhard with her gender complex-- Lee seems pretentious, but I guess he's... okay. And they just think of themselves like this messianic troupe, this collection of New York City How It Used To Be tropes.

Fuck 'em. Give me some noise without an affect - give me The Replacements, The Valentines, give me Polvo or Braniac. Sonic Youth took the irreverence of John Cage and the primality of the Velvet Underground, and combined them into a nauseating excursion to an opaque postmodern art gallery.

Yeah, nah.

what do you expect from a bunch of edge lords.

The performance is shit but the track is decent. Is the rest of the album the same or it's just the same horrible filler and horrible "hit" songs that you find in EVOL, Sister, DDN and Goo? I fucking hate them to be honest but that song is not that bad.

90 minutes of crab

Top pleb

This board is toxic and should be deleted from the internet.

Sonic Youth were always one of the garbage No Wave acts, they're the worse of the Branca-inspired bands.

==critically acclaimed bands that are good==
The Rolling Stones
Nirvana
REM

==critically acclaimed bands who are bad==
Sonic Youth
Radiohead
Swans

I like Sonic Youth and I agree with most of this

Except Polvo fuck that band.

Why is Sonic Youth 2deep4/mu/?

great album

I don't see how you can like Polvo and not like Sonic Youth or vice versa

>swans
>critically acclaimed
No one knows who swans are unless you're really into music. Every other band you listed are household names. Also swans are pretty cool

The board is indeed toxic but not because you got triggered from realising that your favorite band is shit.

Setting aside personal biases, I think Sonic Youth are above-average. Daydream Nation is pretty good throughout, and so is Sister.

I just hate their image and think their whole 2cool4u shtick is neither believable not accurate. I would not feel starstruck in the presence of a Thurston Moore or Kim Gordon. I would honestly feel more starstruck by Stephen Malkmus even though Thurston is more famous because Malkmus sweats cool.

Yeah we get it you're so inflammatory and cool on the internet.

The reality is I'd beat the fuck out of you.

Nailed it again. Watch the Nardwar sonic youth interview if you can stomach it (nardwar is awful). Watch how contrived and lame Kim Gordon's whole "I'm so cool" act is. Please. Fucking soccer mom playing a bass guitar (badly).

Judging an artist by their image instead of their music is pretty pleb imo but ok

>Yeah we get it you're so inflammatory and cool on the internet
You're boring and unimaginative when it comes to insults.
>The reality is I'd beat the fuck out of you
I'm pretty sure you would never say that to anyone's face. This is reality.