The thing

So what do you think 'The Thing' looks like in its original form?
And what does a world completely assimilated by it look like?

Other urls found in this thread:

imagebam.com/image/7e6a99267803297
imagebam.com/image/92839c267803287
imagebam.com/image/50642f267803302
imagebam.com/image/a9908b267803307
outpost31.com/books/images/Thingtext.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>tfw posting in a Thing thread

Fun fact: Ennio Morricone scored the film.

Also, if you're wanting to pick up a copy, get the HD-DVD copy, the Bluray master is DnR'd and has a reddish/pink tint.

I don't think it has an original form. It probably started out a just a single cell and latched itself to the first living thing it encountered.

I'm listening to the soundtrack right now. It was wise of Carpenter to hand it over to someone else.

>So what do you think 'The Thing' looks like in its original form?

It has none. Never did. The closest would be blobs of fleshy liquid.

>Fun fact: Ennio Morricone scored the film.

Yeah, and it looks like Ennio copied John Carptenter's style too. So many people think Carpenter scored it.

Ennio is GOAT, but it definitely has a Carpenter sound. Perhaps he oversaw it.

Great soundtrack

For real I'm going for amorphic blob, like a vat full of melted plastic that hasn't been shaped into anything yet

Looking forward to the Shout Factory version

Good film, but the opening scene with the spaceship flying through space made me cringe.

Reading the wiki for the movie, Carpenter wanted Morricone because Carpenter got married to Morricones music.
He then showed Morricone some of his music and left the room like a shy schoolboy. He gave Morricone no directions except to keep it minimal.

Morricone made two soundtracks, one based on his own life and a pure electronic one. Carpenter went with the electronic one.

actually carpenter threw out a lot of the score and redid it himself

tarantino used a track of the rejected score for hateful 8

woops, thought this was an alien thread lmao

You need to understand context. That's a fantastic shot and the FX hold up great overall.

Probably a goo or amorphous blob. The Thing is more intelligent the larger it is, so it's home planet is probably a super-massive organism with farms and shit to keep it maintained, mines and factories to build it's artificial spaceships, stuff like that.

It has no original form beyond a cellular level. Every form it takes is just something it assimilated previously.

The space ship was crashed by the last surviving crew in a suicidal attempt to stop the Thing from spreading.
Crashing it on Earth instead of the moon was maybe not the best move, but maybe the pilot didn't have time, or maybe the thing can survive in vacuum and would have eventually been stumbled upon by astronauts anyway.

Do you think it has technology etc? Or a structured society?
To me the thing is so unique, because its not the "we engulfed technology" variety like the monoliths or protoss type, nor is it really "we're biologically technological" like the xenomorphs or zerg types.
Its a pure parasite that can replicate its host perfectly.

If the thing managed to reach civilization in the movie, I don't think it would take very long for mankind to meet its demise. That's whats so frightening about it, its almost like pure collectivism or anti-life/individuality.

You guys see the Blob remake from 89? Similarly high quality nasty practical effects not to mention it is an entity which absorbs other beings around it. Would be interesting to see a Thing vs Blob movie or something

It has no more intelligence than what it absorbs. On its planet it's just another animal and works mostly via instinct.

There's a supposedly canon short story from the Thing's perspective as it gets frozen and takes people over, etc. good way to indicate a hive mind. Also I suppose whether it has technology depends on how it got to Earth. was that its ship that crashed or did it cause the ship to crash? maybe when it takes over a life form it basically becomes it, like it wouldn't really matter if all of humanity got taken over and it would carry on as usual.

spooky thought

happymerchant.jpg

I think it's manufactured by the aliens that crashed and looks like some parasitic octopus from their planet.

>mfw picked it up just yesterday on blu ray

WELL FUCKN AY

IIf you're interested

>imagebam.com/image/7e6a99267803297
>imagebam.com/image/92839c267803287

>imagebam.com/image/50642f267803302
>imagebam.com/image/a9908b267803307

The answer to both questions is found in this manga.

>the thing is a planetoid organism, sending out cell spores into outer space that can survive vacuum
>it infects whatever it comes into contact with and assimilates it to its overmind
>eventually all life in the universe will be a thing
Its a different sort of lovecraftian nightmare

Honestly, what's so bad about being assimilated? If you retain all your prior memories and you're a perfect copy of your original self, what's the big deal?

Same with Invasion Of The Body Snatchers. That world looks peaceful. No war, no crime, no poverty, no classes. It's a utopia.

The host is not in control.

It's not you, you're dead. It's just someone else who has your memories and body.

I can't really see any color differentiation, BR just looks smoother.
Thanks for reassuring me man

Its not even your body, just an exact copy. Spooky really

BR has been dnr, so you lose a lot of detail and figures look waxy. I prefer the HD-DVD personally, but either way, no problem.

Maybe it's real purpose is to absorb all sentient life that it can preserve it well past the natural destruction of it's civilization?

sounds like that would still be you, honestly this is the same line of phillosophy that star trek teleporting is tho

>or maybe the thing can survive in vacuum and would have eventually been stumbled upon by astronauts anyway.
Would The Thing on the moon have worked? Three astronauts in a little capsule... who is the monster?!

The difference being that Star Trek teleporting is just silly magic science, while getting replaced by an alien parasite is actually getting killed.
Better yet, a colony on Mars. Isolated, just like on Antarctica, and even less of a chance to go out.

that should've been the remake/prequel

What a cute gooey gal.

I recognized that score in hateful 8 in a heartbeat and my friends thought I was being weird, such is life

Good to know. Fucking first movie in like 15 years I decided to actually buy and not pirate, and I couldn't find a goddamn single straightforward listing on Amazon.... just fuck me in the ass, right up there.

It's an awesome movie, but all I wanted was the commentary which isn't in a single working torrent that I can find.

this is the original form

You need access to the good sites, my friend.

There's the comparisons

>Preserve life by killing everything and replacing it with your own species

>this

I always assumed it was more of a virus or microbial in nature

wheres that short story about this. the thing just thinks its making humanity better.

outpost31.com/books/images/Thingtext.jpg

I don't know how you guys feel about trying to apply semi realistic traits to things that clearly aren't realistic but the best bet for original form would be virus. It allows for modification of cells for another purpose and can enter a state of genetic harmony with the cell until favorable environmental cues cause the cycle to start again. It's not impossible for some organisms to incorporate foreign genetic material either which would explain the jump to truly living organism from infectious genetic material.

>that clearly aren't realistic
Says who ? How many other non-terestrial lifeforms have you seen ?
There could exist some crazy shit out there.

>And what does a world completely assimilated by it look like?

its already been done m8 the film is called slither

There are some obvious limitations on what can happen in our universe. There are some amazing biological processes out there, but some of the things that happen in the thing include rapid mass increases that are simply not feasible. It's not so bad in the film we're talking about, most of it can be attributed to accumulating the biomass from other sources, but the prequel flat out has the things gaining easily double body mass with no real explanation. Other things, like super cryopreservation aren't impossible (though it's stretching the limits) and the form changes can be compared to metamorphosis which a significant amount of if not all animals undergo (though the given time-frame and flexibility are also stretching it).

The original also had victims doubling body mass with the dog in the kennel that grew enough mass to get 10 foot long tentacles.

So is it confirmed that the spaceship pilots were random aliens that were assimilated?

It's a stretch but if you take into account the obscene nature of protein and external environmental interactions (see the hag fish or even the spider) combined with the things ability to control various parts of it's body at the cellular level and I think the tendrils could be explained as muscle filament (I mean it is a stretch) if you meant the mass it had when they arrived then the only answer would be that at least one of the dogs had been fully assimilated (mind you the biological process behind that surely couldn't have occurred that fast).
The fact that an assimilated human was constructing a vehicle that some what resembled the alien vessel sort of implies that they had some of the pilot species memories , assuming it's not the pilot itself (also note in the prequel it seems to be familiar with the vessels controls and manages to start the vessel).

i swear i keep learning new things with every the thing thread

>no life is better than some life
You were that faggot who reminded the teacher homework was due, and snitched on kids who JUST'd you.

If you go it source material 'Who Goes There' it's a blue shapshifting humanoid with three eyes if I remeber correctly (haven't read it for a while).

The movie version makes me think of it as a kind of super alien virus.

Forgot to mention the author, John Campbell jr. Good book, very creepy.

blu-Ray definitely has a bit of blur added, assuming it's the exact same frame, right?

I'm nowhere near as observant as some of you anons so I'd live but that's really interesting.

Some of the differences in colour grading in Fincher's Seven versions is crazy.

Not him, but quads deserve to be answered.

I can buy it.

Sort of like Ultron being programed to protect the world against threats decides to wipe out humanity as we're the biggest threat ourselves.

based stressed out Vinny Mac.

>Mass Effect 3

>Fun fact: Ennio Morricone scored the film.
And for whatever reason he got a razzie nomination for it. This is something I'll never understand.

is the MEW prequel any good at all or is it just garbage? obviously it's not anywhere near the original but does it have any good aspects at all? i always loved the setting and thought maybe that could make up for a mediocre movie but never watched it

also ice was always my favorite x files episode because it's so similar to the thing

Apollo 18. Its a shitty found footage movie but its basically that.

They fucked up the actual Thing, but it's cool how they make their camp fit in with the ruined camp from Carpenter's Thing.

more like blur-ray