Patrician/plebeian confusion resolve

A plebeian is the exact opposite of a patrician. While the musical preferences among individual plebs vary as widely as music itself, all are easily identified by obvious tendencies and behaviors stemming from inner conflict between the compulsion to maintain a self-image of being "really into music" and a stubborn refusal to act accordingly. The pleb is threatened by critical discussion, openly hostile toward anyone who presumes an authoritative position no matter how legitimately, and rankles at any suggestion that he look inward to inspect his own biases or assumptions about music, or even that he has any biases in the first place.

What plebeians believe to be a keen interest in music is in reality an obsession with "taste". This is why they can entertain themselves for hours examining scrobble counts on last.fm, maintaining contrived parabolas of their RYM star ratings, or meticulously assembling a Top 50 chart which displays their grocery-list "eclecticism", but won't read a music text. This is why they loudly proclaim how their virginal taste is unsullied by any reviewer's opinion, yet memorize each of those opinions to cite in endless "drone" accusations. It is why they will evade addressing specific musical assertions at any cost, shifting the topic to popularity, fan image, or imaginary concepts such as "entry-level" or "fedoracore", all of which are better suited to their interests and expertise.

How does any of this apply to music. All the time people this board use "pleb" they usually refer to the music, not the listener.

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/murmurnature
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Welcome back fag

Fuck you. People throw that shit around unironically.

>has never learned a Bach invention
>has never composed a fugue
>has never analyzed a Beethoven string quartet
>can't play keyboard plus at least one other instrument competently
>has never transcribed a jazz solo
>can't speak with authority on at least one kind of ethnic folk music
>patrician

Is this really you CLT?

>TFW newfags will not know who this is

>making up your own definitions for words when they already exist

neo-Sup Forums everyone

dude the CLT days were some of the best days of Sup Forums... I really miss them. :(

>or meticulously assembling a Top 50 chart which displays their grocery-list "eclecticism"

that should have at least one of Montreal album

>rock, pop and rap
>eclectic

And patrician is NOT about the albums or artists, its the listener.

Is board is ass, why do we keep coming back? It's the same shilled 250+ albums and the mods don't do shit. Memes are ass and it's all deteriorating at a faster rate than before. One could argue it was always like this and that people complained from the beginning but compared to the plebbit tier stuff it certainly it's a different shift in shit

from my perspective it was definitely better 2012-2013...it just had a cozier feeling during that time. it was more of a community that genuinely was on the same wavelength and shared the same music taste as well as the same sense of humor... now a lot of the stuff on here just feels fake.. like it's a whole bunch of people just playing a role and it sucks because I miss the real Sup Forums

This. It's a little rich coming from him.

2008/2010 was better
2011/20112 was just shitposting general

>Ke$ha
>no harsh noise
go back to middle school until you discover good music

>t. newfag who never received the gospel of Ke$ha
Educate yourself son.

also: 99.9% of harsh noise is vapid, emotionally shallow timbre centric garbage that takes little- no skill to make. It's barely even music. Calling it sensory stimulation would be a more accurate way to convey the level of artistry involved.

You ruined this board with this meme you fucking faggot

Emphasis on timbre is fine. The problem is that noise generally ignores form.

Every post before this post acknowledged who it was, so I don't know what purpose your post served.

And coherent melodic, harmonic, rhythmic, etc. elements.
It can be enjoyable to just have a nice shifting texture in the background, but it's not great art any more than a nicely painted wall is.

nah it sucked then too, and also before that

I tried to contribute during that timeframe but it wasn't really rewarding at all.

it could well be that it's worse now, but it wasn't good then

>And coherent melodic, harmonic, rhythmic, etc. elements.

So? Why are those necessary.

>It can be enjoyable to just have a nice shifting texture in the background, but it's not great art any more than a nicely painted wall is.

Listen to musique concrete.

This describes every discussion about Yeezus that I've ever had on this site. Getting a well developed critical assessment on the damn thing is like pulling teeth.

>So? Why are those necessary.
They're not necessary. It's just easier to sculpt if you're given more than just a mallet.
>Listen to musique concrete.
I have.
Listen to Bossa Nova.

lol

Sounds to me like you're talking from experience.

>It's just easier to sculpt if you're given more than just a mallet.
Actually certain things kind of end up being mutually exclusive. In those cases it's often better to focus on either one or the other. You can't simultaneously have complete freedom with both timbre and more conventional elements. It doesn't work.

>Listen to Bossa Nova.
bossa nova is fine and everything, but weren't you just denigrating things that fall into the category of "nice shifting texture in the background"? bossa nova is background music way more than, say, classical or jazz fusion, or musique concrete

Embarrassing.

Pleb/patrician dichotomy is cancer that ruined discussion not only on Sup Forums but all art boards

>rock and pop edition

CLT was too good for this board.

ya know its funny I actually guessed someone was going to reply with something along these lines

>rock and pop edition

Yet still extremely limited.

How did pleb/patrician "ruin Sup Forums"?

How so?

In the last week I've seen people call Nirvana, RHCP and Lil Uzi Vert "patrician", the word means nothing now.

It's kind of a necessary counter to anti-intellectualism

I mean it isn't good to say "I make a point to visibly consume esoteric music, therefore I have something worthwhile to say" (i.e. Hampus), but it's kind of worse overall to assume that all art is supposed to be light entertainment, that one's reaction to something is a property of the work, and it it's wrong to actively challenge yourself.

If you think that's actually an eclectic mix you need to branch out, alot.

soundcloud.com/murmurnature

Patrician concepts for plebeian.
Plebeian musick for patricians.

Fuck off spamming outside SC/BC threads.

It enforces anti-intellectualism to reduce the debate to a simple black and white good/bad dichotomy.

why do you think it is a spam?

You didn't answer the question?

I kind of agree but I don't think any stupid board meme is going to steer you toward nuance. It's absurdly reductive by definition.

It would be nice to encourage people to be better listeners overall, but no board culture is going to do the intellectual heavy lifting for you.

Anyone who actually wants to learn something should be reading books or whatever rather than hanging out on a tard forum

see

>You can't simultaneously have complete freedom with both timbre and more conventional elements. It doesn't work.
I have absolutely no idea what this statement means functionally. What is "complete timbral freedom" and what makes "timbrally free" music" unable to feature coherent rhythm or dynamics or harmony?
>bossa nova is fine and everything, but weren't you just denigrating things that fall into the category of "nice shifting texture in the background"? bossa nova is background music way more than, say, classical or jazz fusion, or musique concrete
I'm sorry, I thought this was a separate conversation. I was just recommending you a random genre cause that's what you were doing.
Also: Bossa Nova, like most pop genres can be as shallow or deep as one would like.

Hampus > CLT

lol no

yet you know experience is usually a good yardstick for whether someone knows what they are talking about

SDF > Hampus

>The pleb is threatened by critical discussion

We quote Fantano all the time though.

>all these people responding seriously

name dropping shit you don't really understand isn't experience

the problem is that in places like this the emphasis is on consumption rather than actual knowledge

if you want to be Hampus you can just listen to Toshi Ichiyanagi in the background until he's visible on your last.fm

If you want to be CLT, skim the wikipedia articles for Nietzsche and Adorno and save a few clever sounding quotes in a .txt file. If you're ever challenged about anything you can just copy and paste a quote or two

Go to bed Hampus

This is why posters like jtg are better

but don't you then have a problem of defining understanding?
music being particularly opaque in this respect

What should you read to learn about how music "works" (besides theory)? I'm genuinely curious. Hoping I can teach myself a bit over the summer.

oh sure, but the thing is that you need to spend time reading about shit to get the most out of it. passive listening by itself doesn't get you a lot

but if you've got a stack of interesting books to read, I dunno why you'd waste time here trying to impress retarded 16 year olds

music cognition?

well the brain is at its most active when it's not occupied with any immediate tasks