I just saw this for the 5th time. What are some movies like this? Why is this movie so underrated...

I just saw this for the 5th time. What are some movies like this? Why is this movie so underrated? Why is Sup Forums such a pleb place that doesn't realise the true kino movies like this

youtube.com/watch?v=zzIynnZTia0

You're not alone user. I love this movie.

It's a good movie, very comfy, I didn't care that much for the story but watching the level of rationalisation present in people when presented with something that completely shatters their perception of reality was, for me, the real star of this film.

HE WUZ JESUS AND SHIET

i used to like this movie, but Sup Forums convinced me it is reddit

you have to go back i guess

it's the comfiest movie I've seen, I probably have watched it more than 50 times, although I never finish most of the time.
the main problem with it, besides the unbearable preaching fest it becomes in the second half, is that none of the dialogue is actually developed. they ask him a question, he gives some answer and then on to the next thing. they should be the ones most curious, yet they barely seem to care for the most part. also the mood/opinion changes in some of the actors are very unrealistic.
Sunset Limited is a much better example of actual people debating, but it sounds too theatrical and remove the comfy factor from the whole thing.

Most of Sup Forums came here from Reddit during the fappening

Forgot to mention the director is making a sequel TMFE Holocene, releasing in 2017, which is a nice touch considering Oldman moves on every 10 years.

This that movie where the dude turns out to be immortal and also Jesus the Destroyer?

This movie is the ultimate pleb detector.

It's for people like you who feel "smart" after watching it without realising how fucking atrocious it is.
It's like a bad cheesy B movie from the 90s. The only redeeming factor is the intriguing backstory, literally every other film element is utter dogshit.

From the mexican telenovela like acting, generic stock soundtrack, no character development, no actual dialogue just a long exposition Q&A throughout, constant boring back to back camerawork, no use of the one room, no creative lighting, a side love story pulled out of the ass, most cliche character traits, literally everything. I had to look up twice that it actually was from 2007, not early 90s.
This shit shouldn't even be a movie, it should be a book or a play. Or given to some other director because Richard Schenkman doesn't even know what a director is.
Just look at any other movie in his profile, everything is a meme (pic related)

And don't tell me they had no budget, 200 000$ is not small budget for this kind of movie. There are far superior movies with half the budget of that.

This movie has no artistic value whatsoever. It is just an excuse to make money from the script.
You will never see a renowned director admire this movie because there is nothing to admire except the concept.

Just try to compare this movie to let's say 12 Angry Men, both set in one room. The difference is almost laughable.

oh and yes I'm mad, fucking schenkmanshit

bro, it's just a conversation movie, chill out

I agree entirely, although I didn't know anything about the director or his filmography.

That's actually not surprising at all that he typically makes Asylum-style b-movies. Man From Earth seems like the kind of movie that somebody who makes terrible Asylum films might do if he needs a break from sci-fi/horror schlock and wants to make something he thinks is smart.

>hurr durr it's not a generic movie. I want this movie to be like all the other ones. Hurr durr I mad

The argument is that everything about it is generic except the backstory. It is like "all the other ones".
That's why I hate it and the hype that it gets

What's generic about it? I really find it hard to understand. I don't think this is a great movie by any means, but being generic is not remotely why I don't think it is.

can you recommend some "similiar" movies?
unironically asking

Not a 5th time kind of movie.

Everything except the backstory of the Jesus guy.
From the soundtrack and characters to the love story and the ending. I mentioned it all in the post above. Not one other movie element in it is something different or special

Were you hoping they would talk more about their lives? That would have taken the "generic" out of it.

If by similar you mean majority of the movie in one room:
12 Angry Men
Rear Window
Dog Day Afternoon

For similar time fuckery and/or doppelganger:
Moon
Primer
Coherence
Enemy

>Rear Window
>Dog Day Afternoon
thanks for these
also nice trips

>The Man From Earth
>Underrated

>8.0/10 on IMDb with 130k ratings
>84% on RT

>insert Disney movie title = RT 99%

May I also add Fail-Safe (1964) to that list, another Lumet masterpiece that is mostly set in one or a few rooms. Same source material like Dr. Strangelove, but far superior execution.

A definition of a thriller, strongly recommend

thanks, have you seen the (2000) version, if so how does it compare to the original?

Yeah, and it isn't worth checking out really. It isn't bad, but doesn't come close to the original, especially the performances. And basically everyone who saw it agrees.

The 1964 version hasn't aged badly at all, still holds up good.
Only the first 15 minutes or so are a bit out of place until the characters are set up, from then on it's one of the tightest thrillers in history really.