Discuss

Discuss.

The speed of "push" or "poke" is the same as the speed of sound. It'd be incredibly slow.

CGP Gray here. That wouldn't work.

user is mostly right here, only thing is it's the speed of sound in the medium aka the stick. Much faster than speed of sound in the air. Nowhere near the speed of light though.

Just from slight variations in temperature the stick could extend and retract several kilometers (warm things expand)

Just some perspective

My warm cock expanded into your mothers mouth last night.

+1

This is brilliant! Upboat from me

no, no, no, heat RISES
you'd have to wait for mars to be above the earth

/thread

Gravity

There's no up in space retard

If there's no up in space how can there be an up on earth?

Hey Vsauce, Michael here!

When you move anything, it is as if the Atoms inside push each other. This is known as movement.

You can push the stick but the person on the other planet would notice onlay after a very long time, since the movement of the Atoms first need to teavel

exactly, earth is in space
looks like the retard is on the other foot

This! Very much this (and also Vsauce)

Heyo!

The space above earth has an up because it's perpendicular to the disc

We've established that It would be too slow, also consider that the distance varies by hundreds of millions of miles and the material required to build the stick/energy required to move the stick probably doesn't exist on Earth.

I don't know much about carbon nanotubes though, have we done anything useful with them yet?

It's more of a hypothetical, to see if the laws of physics hold up

So we keep going "up" above that space, so there's an up in space.

Forces travel at the speed of light at most in every material, so no, even if you could push that stick, the poke would hit the other person's head after at least 16 minutes.

Just think of it as the time atoms need to push each other progressively.

By using the dimension above, basically wormhole.
The question stops being how fast is it going trough space, and starts being how do i poke a holes in the space.

Use the stick to poke a hole in space, seeing as it's a very large stick the holes will also be very large.

checkmate

lol, you idiots forgot about the people on the other side of the disc

Posts kindergarten grade fallacy's, Sup Forums never fails to take the bait.

It would not work because it would be impossible to find a long enough stick laying about in the woods.
A solution though would be to instead use a long string and pull

how're you gonna send the end of the string to mars?

The change in the tension on a few thousand tonnes of string would be much slower than light.

Checkmate, Atheists.

No, you dumb fuck. When you push the stick, the other end doesn't immediately move. It's a shockwave, and its speed is not as fast as the speed of light.

That part is easy. We just have a large spool of string att Cape Canaveral and tie the end to a rocket

have you ever tried to fly a rocket that's tied to the earth?
that shit ain't goin nowhere

The stick would need to be infinitely dense and rigid.

If the spool is equipped with very good ball bearings so that the string could be unwinded easily that would obviously not present a problem

Kek

My cock expanded in Uranus.

Imagine the amount of energy it would take to push something that long. Not to mention the planets aren't the same distance but for a short amount of time. Also you're right about movement being transmitted though the pole or pipe like a wave.

The tautness would travel though the string like a wave. It wouldn't be instantaneous.

If you wanted a real solution for faster than light communication then you'd have to use entanglement.

My balls orbit your mother's chin.

So a tangled piece of string

this

Tangle your mother's hair around my balls while I cum in her mouth.

Just like my dick