Is there a genre you literally cannot enjoy no matter how hard you try?

Is there a genre you literally cannot enjoy no matter how hard you try?

(excluding obscure shit like noise, avant-garde etc)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=lRRI758dtl0
youtube.com/watch?v=lesN3CgJtmo
youtube.com/watch?v=jrojPw2HyE4
youtube.com/watch?v=5RnIOgnhWrE
youtube.com/watch?v=WIUPfJWq-rI
youtube.com/watch?v=AP0oQCh_teg
youtube.com/watch?v=pboWKGcL_Gk
youtube.com/watch?v=chaYm2TqfHM
youtube.com/watch?v=gV9MIQGgTEo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fK1BfD8qZmk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Country. Plain and simple.

electronic

Metal

REGGAETON

Prog rock

damn...

Post-rock. I just dont see the appeal.

this, its those damn slide guitars man, they make me want to throw up whenever I hear them.

Pop.

Hip hop

ska, I do like streetlight manifesto

The true answer.

Not even Johnny Cash?

Anything that has "twee", "twinkly" or "jangle" as a descriptor.

Some country is good, but I'm not generally a fan of it.

I have never been able to appreciate jazz-fusion or most electronica/EDM. Christgau was probably right when he said that EDM only makes sense in da club when you're spaced out on ecstasy.

Reggae is not my thing either.

Extreme metal isn't my idea of listenable music, the great thing about 80s metal was that it had a pop sensibility and melody, something lost from the 90s onward. But even stuff like Temple of Baal I can still get a kick out of because of how comically ridiculous it is.

Big band music (like frank Sinatra/harry conick junior type stuff). It annoys the shit out of me.

Popular pop "music"

I like non-generic pop music, but I really can't get into the music normies play or even tolerate it. I'm not even a fedora lord, but it's really beyond me how people choose to listen to this kind of music when there's tons of legitimately good music out there.

There's a good amount of it I don't like but I've always had a sweet spot for party music with female vocals (like Kesha, Lady Gaga, etc).

Idk if this is a genre but I absolutely hate stuff like the Pentatonics and those people who do the split screen multi-harmony vocal covers of songs on YouTube.

youtube.com/watch?v=lRRI758dtl0

don't get it

This?

youtube.com/watch?v=lesN3CgJtmo

Metal and anything that sounds like it desu. I really don't get the appeal.

lol
this is funny

mu core outside of a few classics

No.
While we're at it, also death metal. A buddy of mine listens to Dying Fetus and Necrophagist, and every time he tries to get me into it, I just tell him it all sounds the same. It's like a competition for how fast you can hit the drums and incoherent you can make the vocals.

youtube.com/watch?v=jrojPw2HyE4

Literally any kind of rock. Just makes me cringe and get a headache. Most music with lyrics too.

lol
I hate music like this. Simply because its so unknown, so remote; are these people even real?

Modern Pop. Impossible for me.

chill hip-hop e.g. Future

I like hip-hop with energy to it but mumbling over a beat just isn't compelling to me. i don't dislike it and sometimes like it when these kinds of rappers have features on other songs but would never listen to it on my own

No, this. That lick at 0:02-0:04. You hear it in every country song ever and it drives me nuts.

youtube.com/watch?v=5RnIOgnhWrE

Gypsy punk

>Literally any kind of rock. Just makes me cringe and get a headache. Most music with lyrics too.

I haven't tried very hard, but hip-hop

I used to feel this way about metal but I had other friends who I shared musical tastes with who really liked it and I really wanted to listen to it the way they did. So I just sort of forced myself to do that and it kind of grew on me. Now I enjoy it. It's not my favorite genre or anything but there's a lot of it that I really enjoy.

mu core isn't a genre you fucking anus

Yes, they're very real. Everyone knows this kind of stuff around here tho.

that's not a steel guitar

Death + Black metal always annoyed the hell out of me

what does "puras rancheras" mean? I typed it into google translate but it only translated "pure" it didn't translate rancheras to anything.

Ok but that particular lick (don't know if there's an exact name for it) is one of the biggest things about country that turns me off.

Oh i see. I don't know if there's a name for it... sliding up to the major third and back down? lol

Slide guitar would be the intro here.

youtube.com/watch?v=WIUPfJWq-rI

"Puras" can also be translated as "only", the genre of those songs is called "Ranchero".

(Im the original guy that said he doesnt like slide guitars )
I agree with you, but what I was talking about is this youtube.com/watch?v=AP0oQCh_teg
I think it comes in around :55, there are better examples but I cant think of any right now

Bottle slide. That's something completely different from the Clapton song I linked. I actually quite enjoy this (at least until the electric guitar kicks in and it becomes generic shitty hair metal), it's the other lick I mentioned that I can't stand.

Ok, yeah. That's similar to the lick in Promises. God, I hate that sound so much.

Actually, the guitar hook in Promises is just as ear rape, but I digress.

>Is there a genre you literally cannot enjoy no matter how hard you try?

Bruce Springsteen. I cannot for the life of me see what is so great about this man or his music.

rap.

Any of those 80s British synthpop bands like Spandau Ballet and Tears For Fears.

That's because everyone over-hypes Born to Run which is just ok. The River and Darkness on the Edge of Town are his actual masterpieces.

I can listen to 50 Cent any day; rappers like Ice Cube who take themselves seriously are painful to listen to.

generally yeah, although R.E.M. can be pretty good

Try first wave stuff, Hood, Disco Inferno, Bark Psychosis. I don't like Godspeed that much but those 3 bands are absolutely amazing

No, sorry, The River is shit too. I listened to about half of it (all I could take before my brain started oozing out the openings in my skull).

Fuck a cappella. It always sucks and normies think it's so amazing

rock

This, specifically second wave and beyond (Laughing Stock is actually perfect).

Post Rock is just so boring- it's less interesting than everything that's inspired it. I still to this day don't understand why anyone would spend hours listening to GYBE.

you're telling me you don't fuck with Thunder Road?

Blues. Here, lemme give you the summation of every blues song ever.

OHHHH MAAHHHH BAAAABBYYYY LEFT MEEEEE. AH GOT A HOOOOLLEEEEE IIIINNNN MAAAAAHHHH SOOUUUULLL. AND NOW AHHHHH SING DA BLUUUUESSSS.

Try OMD - Dazzle Ships for a more experimental album, Ultravox - s/t for a more punky new wave style, Soft Cell - Non Stop Erotic Cabaret for a darker synth pop sound. Soft Cell is like synth pop Coil if that makes sense

You didn't get to the second half though. That's where the best stuff is.
youtube.com/watch?v=pboWKGcL_Gk

Lambchop is pretty cool though

Seconding this. Hood is the shit.

Imagine being this guy

I saw the 4 and 5 star ratings and Christgau A A A A A+ ratings given to all of Sleater-Kinney's albums. So I gave them a spin expecting, oh, I dunno, some Hole-style 90s girl grunge.

Instead all I found was some bitch on her period screaming out of tune gibberish over generic power chords about how men suck.

The dreamy gazy slowcore stuff.

I worship Velvet Underground and Jesus & Mary Chain but can't stand any band that in that genre that they created. Galaxie 500, MBV, etc. It's just so fucking grey. Not druggy or hazy or droney or challenging, just BORING.

>Soft Cell - Non Stop Erotic Cabaret

Skip over track 2 though. Your ears will thank you.

but rock is the most fedora genre

>Disco Inferno, Bark Psychosis
Are you trying to confirm his current beliefs?

There is some good second/third wave. Dirty Three, Macha, Battles, You Slut!, Fuck Buttons, Grails, the list goes on...

You don't think that this is remotely challenging?
youtube.com/watch?v=chaYm2TqfHM

I can enjoy a few songs by Drake and Childish Gambino

I listened to the entire Call The Doctor. By track 6, I felt like the part in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy where Ford and Arthur are strapped to chairs and forced to listen to Vogon poetry. It took superhuman endurance to make it all the way to the end of the album.

folk, but i like fuzz folk

>Most music with lyrics too.

Fucking this.

There's no reason for any song to have lyrics, it's always just someone whining about their life or telling a lame story. This shit needs to stop.

I wouldn't consider Battles post-rock though. Math rock and post rock are very very different. I know wikipedia classifies them as post-rock, but there's nothing about them that sounds like post-rock.

Thinking about it now though I do enjoy Sigur Ros which is technically second wave. The majority of it though is that GYBE vain, things like Explosions in the Sky, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, TS Mt. Zion. I just don't get it.

That's because you're not in the right demo to appreciate that music.

agreed. it's not painful to listen to, just incredibly boring.

If you like J&MC but not MBV you might just be a pleb

Vaporwave, mallsoft and anything related to bullshit A E S T H E T I C S

What about this? youtube.com/watch?v=gV9MIQGgTEo

Tainted Love is fantastic though, it really fits well in between Frustration and Seedy Films

It might make more sense on the album, but on the radio it's pretty bad. A lot of overplayed singles are like that.

Ok I guess if you don't like Wire and aren't sad you won't like those bands, but general consensus is that both of those are great bands

Trap music. It's everywhere now and I hate it. Anytime I hear someone playing it it's always a college aged white kid in a Ford F-250.
I produced for a trap rapper and it made me want to blow my fucking brains out

You know the old saying--you need a lot of hooks to get away with being full of shit, and S-K don't come up with them.

I think you meant K-pop

Riot Grrrlll was all a joke anyway. Just a bunch of spoiled upper middle class bitches who majored in women's studies and pretended to oppressed by the patriarchy.

how is this fedora? might be the most normie but certainly not fedora

So this is where MGMT got their sound from

Yea. I know I'm being kind of unfair because part of the dislike does come from the whole "omg they they're so great and they show a new square with themselves singing every time they start singing a different harmony" but it's just insanely boring to me.

Autistic people are pretty obsessed with it.

>using normie unironically

anything rap, especially with that one guy who had a stroke and just groans and slurs into the mic. sounds like absolute degenerate trash, as are most of the people I see listening to it.

How can you go to parties and not like rap??

Not be a white suburban kid

I'm betting you're thinking of this

m.youtube.com/watch?v=fK1BfD8qZmk

I bet you just don't get invited to parties ;)

Eiffel 65