Why doesn't most music use classical or orchestral instruments anymore?

Why doesn't most music use classical or orchestral instruments anymore?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5_yOVARO2Oc&list=PLGQlhWonA985PM36WWuHoFXtPWsGVD2qL
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

define "most music"

greatest in amount or degree of vocal or instrumental sounds (or both) combined in such a way as to produce beauty of form, harmony, and expression of emotion.

Pop. Rock. Hip-Hop. Most music. You don't see a violin, or an oboe, or a horn in many bands today.

Hard to master these instruments, or at least learn how to play them at a decent-ish level. Much easier to find someone that plays guitar or bass or drums than someone that plays violin or flute or a trumpet.

They're hard to learn how to play and are irrelevant now that electronics exist?

have you seen violins, oboes, horns in many pop, rock, and hip-hop bands of the past? to me it actually seems like there's MORE orchestral instruments now thanks to the resurgence of indie/chamber folk

>are irrelevant
wrong

I meant to say "in many bands of the past"
Yeah I know King Crimson uses flutes and shit, but the point is that rock music is a genre built on guitars and shit so of course you're not going to see much orchestral presence.

It got derided by mainstream critics as being showy, pretentious, archaic, or cheesy (or just drawing sometimes unfair "Beatlesque" observations) for so long that few dare doing it anymore. Very sad.

they don't want to be called joanna newsom ripoffs

Because the education needed to be able to competently compose for and arrange an orchestra has become less and less accessible and even then, it isn't easy for a regular person to get even session musicians, never mind an orchestra. That shit is expensive

But now it's the future and people will soon start using/already do use synthesized orchestra sounds for recording

Also I just found out that Steve Albini was recorded that album. I didn't know that

DAWN IS FALLING MY DAY'S WORK IS DONE.

>the education needed to be able to competently compose for and arrange an orchestra has become less and less accessible
Objectively wrong. It's easier to become a composer than ever. You have instant access to countless textbooks (Gradus Ad Parnassum, Rimsky-Korsakov's orchestration book, etc.) and countless scores from the masters to study and listen to. Countless music lessons online and in video.

That's true, I was thinking more in terms of a formal music education though. I mean it's one thing to have the books, but without at least having been taught the basics of theory and composition, it'd be way harder to get into more advanced stuff

>he thinks you won't die of dehydration at sea

>at least having been taught the basics of theory and composition
youtube.com/watch?v=5_yOVARO2Oc&list=PLGQlhWonA985PM36WWuHoFXtPWsGVD2qL

Yale has an entire free series dedicated to this, with many more doubtlessly available.

On the other hand without any guidance most people are unlikely to produce anything meaningful even with careful study. It's one thing if you look up a bunch of shit on classical guitar and then pick one up yourself, but if you're a DIYer you're not going to be able to get an entire orchestra to play your shit.

Then I guess it's a good thing that it's also become easier than it has ever been in the entirety of human history to get a university education.

In a vacuum, yes. Depends on your country. To actually get there is one thing, whether it's feasible for you financially depends on a lot of factors.

>Depends on your country
>living in anywhere but the first world

>most music
Do you mean most pop music? Because there's plenty of recent music that uses orchestral instruments.

nah i know more people who have picked up a guitar than people who have picked up a DAW

why don't you just listen to classical music?

I do.

czech'd, my guy