Q: One thing that I find interesting is how you arrive at conclusions about certain genres of music. For example...

Q: One thing that I find interesting is how you arrive at conclusions about certain genres of music. For example, you openly dislike heavy metal. Why is that?
A: Because it's symphonic bombast without the technical complexity of classical music, although there is a lot of virtuosity. I can say one thing--I'm 72. This isn't the time for me to start liking loud guitar solos. That music is so masculine in a retrograde way. I don't like it--it's a very 19th century idea of power.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/WHxgXfRCLeQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>That music is so masculine in a retrograde way. I don't like it--it's a very 19th century idea of power.
gotta give credit to christgau for paving the way to the nu-male movement. a true pioneer

Why is nu-male now used to describe anyone against masculine pride? I'm against gender pride in general, does that make me nu-male?

yes. un-masculine men are nu-males

Most people who don't like metal will tell you it's the sound of it that turns them off; the growly vocals or the distorted guitars. Christgau doesn't attack the music itself, he just attacks metal's image and fanbase.

Nah, unmasculine men are just wimps. The nu-male also has to have a hatred towards masculinity and a belief that men shouldn't be masculine. That is what separates them.

>The nu-male also has to have a hatred towards masculinity and a belief that men shouldn't be masculine.

50% right. Nu-males hate masculinity because it makes them feel inadequate, but they don't believe all men shouldn't be masculine. Nu-males believe normal masculinity is toxic and foul and that we should reform it to be more palatable, 'soft', and indistinguishable from stereotypical femininity

Either that, or they're neckbeards that think kissing up to feminists will get them laid. Like pic related

fuck me wrong image

How can they stop being inadequate?

This is Christgau's wife. It really is true that when you've been married for long enough, you start to look like each other.

Also she's a gigantic SJW who's written essays on feminism in rock music and things of that nature.

asking for a friend

start lifting weights, eat at least three proteans a day and listening to heavy metal

Its healthy to post a picture of Robert Christgau on your wall as motivation of what not to be

he is the antithesis of a man

his profession is passive aggressiveness

he should be gassed with zyklon b

>listening to heavy metal
recs?

At least they have no kids of their own, just an adopted daughter, so their genes will die with them.

>metal
>masculine
lmao

He's not wrong tho. Metal is for kids

this man single handily prooved that all cucks hate metal

Imagine being so pathetic you spend a sizeable chunk of your day berating nu-male bogeymen online.

it's the morning dumbass

>as if his pwecious punk and hip-hop isn't for 12 year olds

Cool, I didn't really know anything about his personal life.

Christgau and his wife wanted to have a family (as he said in a 70s column around when they got married), but they ended up adopting a daughter from Honduras in the mid-80s when they were pushing 40 and it was obvious that they were never going to have kids naturally. His daughter is almost as big of a music fanatic as he is.

lol meanwhile our lord and savior pierro scaruffi, a man in his 60s, just gave an 8/10 to between the buried and me

suck it christgaufags

Scaruffi has always had a weird fetish for buttmetal though. Also he's European, the market for metal is bigger there than here.

true

>the same threads over and over again
>still b8ing people

Don't you guys have anything better to do

These threads wouldn't keep getting made if people didn't take the b8 every time.

Christgau is a cuck who admitted that he feels sexually threatened by the virile metal barbarians.

Why do you have opinions when you have done no (serious/rigorous) research/reading/thinking about/on the issue

but how could anyone think metal takes itself seriously in anyway (apart from mentally ill people like varg)

He's actually correct. Metal copies the loudness and sure it has full chords, but in actual formal or structural complexity it's pathetic.

>metal
>masculine

>That music is so masculine in a retrograde way
Pathetic.

>In theory, metal is today's real rock and roll--the music of the people. It's basic, it's rude, kids love it, parents hate it. But the closer you look, the stupider and more delusory it seems. Metal isn't basic--it cultivates a pseudo-virtuosity that negates content. The dreams it promulgates are usually foolish and often destructive. Eighty per cent of the "people" who like it are male, and 98 per cent of them are white.

Nobody said anything about gender pride, just about masculinity.

This is the kind of metal I listen to. It is a bit niche in that the notes aren't played by the scale in runs, but the notes in songs hop all about the scale. I'm no music theory major, so a very basic knowledge is all I have to describe what I mean.
I had to listen to this band a few times to really appreciate their work.

youtu.be/WHxgXfRCLeQ

Him and scaruffi are probably scientifically THE most pretentious people on this earth objectivly speaking ofc

I don't disagree.

I'm listening to Show No Mercy now as a huge fuck you to this guy.